Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  aileron up down travel Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

aileron up down travel  This thread currently has 163 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
August 5, 2018, 2:47am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I am trying to finalize the telex aileron cable setup in the cockpit of my Max build but in order to get it adjusted correctly, I really would like to know if the up and down travel of the ailerons is equal, or is it supposed to travel more in degrees one way than the other.  I could not find this piece of info in the plans or flight manual(certainly it is possible I missed it)  Simplest would be for the travel to be the same number of degrees in each direction, which I believe would equate to the same telex cable movement in each direction, but I don't know if that is how this plane was designed or not.  Not all planes have the upward and downward travel equal.  All help and comments appreciated.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
lake_harley
August 5, 2018, 3:30am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
The geometry of the aileron horn on the control stick in relation to the Teleflex cable attachment does provide for differential aileron. By design the "down" aileron will move down fewer degrees than the "up" aileron will move upward which reduces adverse yaw. I measured it on my plane but didn't make a note anywhere about the difference I found. Sorry.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
kfb
August 5, 2018, 12:52pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Given that every builder has different skill levels and probably no two Maxes emerge as identical twins, when finishing up the controls in the cockpit relative to aileron actuation, it seems that the target becomes getting the two cables attached such that the same amount of inner cable is exposed to view but this amount of cable exposed to view is less than what is exposed to view on the other end(outer).  On mine, I think the total cable movement available is approximately 3", when attached to the interior aileron control horn, I have about 1 5/16" of exposed inner cable on each side and slightly more than that on the outside.  When the aileron is moved, the cable on one side moves the 1 5/16" but the outer exposed cable on the other side extends to the full length, so differential aileron activation is indeed occurring.  So when setting things up on the inside of the cockpit, it seems the target is to get the exposed amount the same on both cables but it will not be one half of the total, which is 3" in my case.  There will be slightly less cable visible on both inside cables, slightly more on both outside cables, and both cables will move slightly more when going out, which is moving the aileron up, than the opposite one will move in when moving the opposite aileron down.  I think I understand this and I think I presented it correctly here.  Thanks.
Kim Brown
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment