Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Rotax 532 in a V-Max Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Rotax 532 in a V-Max  This thread currently has 649 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
CTJoe
July 25, 2018, 6:11pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 3 minutes
I have an opportunity to pick up a nice 532 for a stupid-good deal, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with using this engine in the V-Max, or some insight into the feasibility of this? Thanks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
LSaupe
July 26, 2018, 12:06am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Might depend some of how much success you have had with the 532.  In my Kitfox days, the engines didnt hold up very well and had a rather peaky power band. When the 582 came out most folks switched over.  Much nicer performing engine.  Dont know of anyone really still running a 532.  Resale has also been tough on the 532

Just one persons 2 cents though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 24
Greg Doe
July 26, 2018, 4:16am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Sadly, we had a fatal Mini Max crash here in middle Tennessee about 3 years ago. The owner had been chasing 532 engine issues, until one day he burned a hole in a piston on takeoff. Certainly, I don't want to blame the engine, because it could have been operator issues, but after this accident I heard several comments that the 532 had problems, which were fixed in the 582.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 24
Antoni
July 26, 2018, 10:58am Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Quoted from Greg Doe
I heard several comments that the 532 had problems, which were fixed in the 582.

This is exactly what I've heard over the years in the UK. They were the standard engine in the Hornet RS-ZA weightshift and French Aviasud Mistral 2-seat microlight biplane. I had a ago in one once and it ran fine from take-off to landing (err... taxied OK too).

Point is I suppose that if it's cheap and it runs on the ground well enough then it's good enough for our type of flying because engine failures are simply *expected* to happen. Any engine.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 24
Max SSDR
July 27, 2018, 4:30pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
I did the Rotax maintenance courses here in the UK, quite a few years ago now. The 532 was a popular motor then. The 582 offered dual spark and thus enhanced safety. There were plenty of 532s that ran well for long hours. The main issue with any of the Rotax 2 strokes was fuel mismanagement (wrong oil/fuel ratio) and incorrect carb jetting. In my opinion, you shouldn't be too scared of a 532 but check it's service history and hours run and if you can, take a look at the pistons.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 24
CTJoe
July 29, 2018, 4:26am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
How about mounting the 582 on it? For a number of reasons, it seems to me a better choice than the VW.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 24
Ricardo
July 29, 2018, 11:01pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Every one who had a 532 in this area got rid of them very fast as soon as the 582 or the double ignition 503 where in production. Not even the low budget pilots wanted to deal with them any longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 24
beragoobruce
July 30, 2018, 5:44am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
The 582 is liquid cooled, so you'd need to work out where to put the radiator. From memory, the radiator is about 120 sq.ins, or thereabouts (check the Rotax site for details).

I schemed an installation for my Eros when i considered using this engine. I recessed the top half of the radiator into the floor of the engine bay, so only the bottom half was outside the normal fuselage profile. I had it in a scoop, with the inside duct a sheet of thin ply, & the outer part in FRP. The outlet cross sectional area was bigger than the inlet CSA, to ensure adequate airflow. I also put in an outlet through the floor of the cockpit, which could be opened to provide cabin heating for winter flying  

I still didn't like the extra frontal area needed for the liquid cooling, so went for the MZ202 instead. 60hp at 85 pounds weight of this engine certainly gives good performance.

Bruce

p.s. I think you need to delete about 3 pages of empty space on your last posting!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 24
LSaupe
July 30, 2018, 9:30am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
The Kitfox belly radiator is a nice option. Profile isnt horrendous and does a great job.  Link below isnt direct to the item, need to go to on-line catalog and then to aluminum radiator.  I had mine fitted with a set of louvers controllable from the cockpit to help keep the temps up nice in the winter or for long descents.

http://www.murlewilliamsaviation.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 24
Ricardo
August 1, 2018, 10:28am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
I think The 503 double ignition would be the best option but unfortunately is not available any longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 24
CTJoe
August 4, 2018, 5:03pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
This is a post I had to delete between Ricardo's and Beragoobruce's posts, because I had to delete it. There was about 100 blank lines that I couldn't edit out for some reason.:

"Is the 582 a good match for the V-Max? Compared to the VW?  What sort of kinks have to be worked around?
How about the 582 in the V-Max?  How would it compare to the VW in that plane?  Any special mounting or running kinks to work out?"
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 24
mullacharjak
August 5, 2018, 3:50pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from CTJoe
This is a post I had to delete between Ricardo's and Beragoobruce's posts, because I had to delete it. There was about 100 blank lines that I couldn't edit out for some reason.:

"Is the 582 a good match for the V-Max? Compared to the VW?  What sort of kinks have to be worked around?
How about the 582 in the V-Max?  How would it compare to the VW in that plane?  Any special mounting or running kinks to work out?"

ZK-EDA  Evans VP 1  can be seen on you tube with 582 engine and the climb is unlike a standard VP 1.

Vmax with 582 should be much better than VP 1.

KK
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 24
bob.hood
August 5, 2018, 4:10pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Bruce,

The Air Creation Kiss and GTE trikes have a neat mounting for their Rotax 582 radiators. They mount the radiator under the trike at an angle of about 15 degrees up from the horizontal, with the back end higher than the front. They then encase this in a ram air scoop so that air goes in the front of the scoop, and is forced through the radiator in order to escape from under it. You might be able to just see what I mean in this photo.

Attachment: kiss_radiator_1007.jpg
Size: 22.02 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 24
bob.hood
August 5, 2018, 4:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Bruce,

Such a radiator fitment as shown in my previous post would be quite neat, and wouldn't increase the frontal area of the plane by much. If painted up to look like a shark's mouth it could be quite effective as a bit of nose art too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 24
LSaupe
August 6, 2018, 12:10am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Would be interesting to see what the exit path looks like.  Just a thought... trikes don't really have the full fuselage blockage/resistance like a Max might, so it might buy them an opportunity in this situation.  Very nice looking execution though.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 24
bob.hood
August 6, 2018, 5:49pm Report to Moderator

Ace
LSaupe,

I would imagine the exit path for the air would look like the airflow in the diagram below.

Attachment: minimax_rad_scoop_186.jpg
Size: 71.93 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 24
CTJoe
August 14, 2018, 1:26pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Quoted from CTJoe

Wow ! I can't even claim that English is a second language for me!
Anyway, Do you think that mounting the radiator in the airstream like that would possibly adversely affect its handling characteristics (like an airbrake or spoiler), or not to a significant extent?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 24
gyrojeffro
August 15, 2018, 3:45am Report to Moderator
Guest User
The 532 is one of those weard voodoo engines, that nobody understands so it just gets banned from the aviation community and nobody understands what really happened. from my experience of test flying a skyranger with a 532,  the engine would loose power once you gained flying speed,
E-mail Reply: 17 - 24
LSaupe
August 15, 2018, 9:26am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Quoted from bob.hood
LSaupe,

I would imagine the exit path for the air would look like the airflow in the diagram below.

Yep, that should work (I was thinking out the top like I believe the trike is), but yep that makes more sense in this case.  Might be worth seeing how drag and weight compares to the Kitfox belly radiator (as the trikes are kinda slow movers in comparison).  Kitfox are quite slim (with regard to frontal area), a cowling package is also available (just as a comparison).  

The trike option is quite sharp and clean looking.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 24
The Termite
August 16, 2018, 8:21pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from Ricardo
I think The 503 double ignition would be the best option but unfortunately is not available any longer.

There's a lot of used 503 DCDI engines available, Barnstormers has 6 or 7 listed right now; including one brand new one.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 24
The Termite
August 16, 2018, 8:30pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from Max SSDR
The main issue with any of the Rotax 2 strokes was fuel mismanagement (wrong oil/fuel ratio) and incorrect carb jetting.

^What he said.^

Also: not inspecting the fuel system, not rebuilding the mechanical "thumper" pump every 2-4 years, no fuel filter or gascolator, dirty air filters, not using EGT and CHT gauges, not properly warming the engine before T/O,  not inspecting and/or replacing spark plugs.........etc.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 24
bob.hood
August 16, 2018, 11:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
LSaupe,

I've been in an Air Creation Kiss, and I can tell you that the airflow through the radiator as shown in the picture of one in my earlier post is exactly the same as the airflow I depicted in the diagram I drew for the Minimax. It is a very neat installation, that has air going in through the front of the duct, and down through the radiator that is laid almost horizontal and out toward the back. You can see it quite clearly in this photo of the underside of a Kiss 400 trike in the air. In the photo the grey area is the radiator at the bottom of the yellow ram air duct.

Attachment: kiss_400_radiator_3185.jpg
Size: 242.12 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 24
LSaupe
August 17, 2018, 11:35pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Thanks for the pic and clarification.  I was initially thinking out the top based on this pic, however the black surface may not be perforated (my error).  Might make for a nice look under a MiniMax though.

[/URL][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 24
bob.hood
August 18, 2018, 10:01am Report to Moderator

Ace
LSaupe,

Looking at the photo you've put up I totally agree that it does look like the radiator is flat and the air exits upwards, and indeed the ram air design in your photo is different from that used on the Kiss I went in. So perhaps they've tried various configurations, with some having the air exiting downwards, and some with it exiting upwards, but the bottom of the fuel tank is directly above it, so the air would heat the fuel and that wouldn't make much sense to me.

The one I went in had been built (in the UK the Kiss was a kit aircraft) by someone at an airfield local to ours (only 5 miles away). I went over to see it when he started flying it, and I had a good look at the trike. I was particularly taken by the very neat radiator fitment, as it hadn't occurred to me that you could lay the radiator down at an angle and then use the ram air duct to force air through it. It means a much smaller head on frontal area, but with a very efficient airflow through the radiator and that sort of design would work well on a Minimax. You could fit a watercooled engine such as a 532 or 582 and use an angled radiator to give the plane a Curtiss P40 look from the front.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 24
bob.hood
August 18, 2018, 11:01am Report to Moderator

Ace
LSaupe,

If you take a look at the video in this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD6jP-JWJao&index=8&list=PLE75F2A1A9191675D&t=0s

You'll see some footage of two Air Creation trikes flying. I was the passenger in the blue and silver one, which is a 582 powered Kiss. The red and silver one is a 912 powered iXess. At 2.12 - 2.16 you can see the radiator on the Kiss.

In case you're wondering what the video is all about, it's a section of a video I was involved in making back in 2003, called 'Flying the Dream', and it was all about how to become a microlight pilot in the UK. So we included as much flying footage as we could, and wherever possible with the pilot's eye view, so that prospective pilots would get some idea of what they could look forward to if they started learning to fly microlights.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 24
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment