Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  New Minimax R1100 Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

New Minimax R1100  This thread currently has 759 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
airbike10
July 24, 2018, 3:47am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 5 days 14 hours 55 minutes
Next month I will plans to start building aluminum minimax R1100 fuselage and landing gear
and folding elevators/stabilizer and rudder and fin. Just pop rivet!

I don’t feel comfortable with wood airframe. Somebody arsons it or engine fires, the
Wood aircraft gets ash.

I had seen one minimax made of steel 4130 tubes. Very cool!

Richard
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
tomshep
July 24, 2018, 2:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Then it isn't a Max. Wood is a much better material. It doesn't fatigue and it doesn't fail catastrophically as a rule
Ison had a full stress analysis done which proved the design safety. Will you be doing the same? Thought not.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 15
flydog
July 25, 2018, 1:32am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Agreed it is not a MiniMax. Perhaps call it "MiniMax like" but I do look forward to your build if you post pictures here.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 15
PUFF
July 25, 2018, 11:54am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
You could always call it Buzzard Bait!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 15
Tom
July 25, 2018, 6:10pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Just a small clarification:  TomShep said above in praise of wood that "it doesn't fatigue".  This is commonly said, however, it is more accurate to say that its fatigue characteristics are such that it can accept a higher percentage of its ultimate stress indefinitely without becoming weaker.  Another way of saying this is that it has a higher "fatigue limit".  That is it can be routinely stressed to a higher percentage of its breaking stress for an extremely large number of cycles without degradation.  However above that stress level it will definitely fatigue.  In practical terms this means that you can build an aircraft lighter in wood and epoxy than practically any other material.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 15
mullacharjak
July 28, 2018, 10:21am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

If it flies as good as the minimax and behaves similiarly then it will prove more popular .

It also has to be less costly and easier and quicker to build!

It also will not need any shelter or hanger which is a big plus.

Have a look at the CA-2 utralight.You might need to move the wing a little higher though.

KK
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 15
Arthur Withy
July 28, 2018, 2:24pm Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
well sounds like a lot of discussion is about to happen

Its not a Minimax its a design based on the Minimax...as  a  starting point....only time will see if its better or worse.

However to say its going to be better is certainly a little cheeky....build it , fly it , provide evidence.....and start kitting them..and when the customers exceed the current Minimax line I will start to...acknowledge you,,,Until then your just a test pilot with a new design and an Idea...or concept...and certainly dont put shit on what is already a great aircraft....ITS Proven it self...all over the planet.

Hey Richard...aluminium burns too....quite a silly statement in your first email......no one flys an aircraft after fire damage....unless your a dick.

yes I like aircraft...in wood...and aluminium...and IVE BUILT BOTH..and flown and operated them successfully. So consider yourself TOLD...ok. Goodluck with your new aircraft...your breaking new ground, so please do your homework before making statements that can be considered disrespectful to the Minimax design and all its wonderful benefits.

You get more bees with Honey ...not Jam....or FigJAM...and yes Im a Bee keeper...

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 15
Bill Metcalf
July 31, 2018, 2:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Aluminum is not the easy answer to structural fabrication and operations. It requires serious attention to flawless fabrication, as even the tiniest nick can manifest very unexpectedly and rapidly into a deadly crack (and possible catastrophic failure) due to normal vibration and stress. You would end up spending many hours machining and polishing every edge of every piece of Aluminum angle to ensure elimination of every scratch and nick. The completed airframe would also require very regular and detailed inspections, and every segment that was not visible would always be in question.
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 15
Bob Hoskins
July 31, 2018, 8:27pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey Arthur;
Just a note here, aluminum is used in rocket solid fuel, LOL. Also the main reason the Hindenburg went down.
All kidding aside. Do your homework on design. Ison did. Nothing wrong with what you are doing, and I for one will be interested to see the build. But it is not a Minimax.
Have fun, but be safe doing it.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 15
Arthur Withy
August 1, 2018, 1:44pm Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
YES Agree Bob...... I want to see it turn out well.........wheres the oxygen...LOL

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 15
Bob Daly
August 2, 2018, 6:14pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
I'd like to see you use all 6063T5 as well (cue naysayers).
Private Message Reply: 10 - 15
gyrojeffro
August 3, 2018, 3:52am Report to Moderator
Guest User
The authors text sounds like someone who has escaped the communist regime of China! Play nice!
E-mail Reply: 11 - 15
mullacharjak
August 5, 2018, 6:10pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from 509
The authors text sounds like someone who has escaped the communist regime of China! Play nice!

...........or someone from Drake's school.

KK
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 15
ironnerd
August 6, 2018, 5:49pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
AluMax?

It could actually be a really interesting little plane. I'm eager to see how this project turns out.

At the size of the Max, I'm betting the weight won't be much different.

My 02¢... If you can buck the rivet, buck the rivet. Solid rivets are less expensive and a touch lighter than aviation pop-rivets.
E-mail Reply: 13 - 15
theecoop
August 7, 2018, 12:21am Report to Moderator

Flying
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 5 hours 17 minutes
As stated a New Minimax R1100 alone Saddens me to think someone would even make a post like this here. It not only insults wayne Ison and all members of this group in my opinion.
Regards,
David Cooper

Perfect Practice makes perfect!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 14 - 15
ironnerd
August 8, 2018, 10:06am Report to Moderator
Guest User
At least he's not building a Composi-Max... That would be a true abomination.

I'm and A&P and Pilot, so pretty much any plane interests me. I've worked on aluminum planes my entire adult life, and I selected a wood-and-fabric plane for my project (which should be rather enlightening). Metal is cool, but it does not exactly grow on trees, and just the thought of forming all those aluminum ribs put me off metal homebuilts. I took one look at a Vans and said "no thanks" - They are just a bunch of rivets held in place by bits of sheet metal...

Also you build a metal plane several times (locate parts in position, layout holes, drill, disassemble, deburr, apply coatings to the faying surfaces, reassemble, cleco in place, install fasteners), and you'll need clocoes, twist drills, metal files, rivet guns and bucking bars (or a darn nice puller), and metal forming tools (brake, shear, fluting pliers... it can be a long list).

I'll agree that an Aluminimax is not really a "Max" (be it mini- or hi-)... he's kind of getting into slow BD-6 territory... maybe the thread should go into "Off Topic".

<addendum>
I took me a while to re-find this, but it looks like the OP is really wanting an Brutsche Freedom 40. It has some similarities to the Max-Family, but is made from tin. It's interesting that the Max family would be built in quantity, while there are no Freedom 40's in the FAA database. Both meet the same goals, both have the same mission, and had similar completions costs. Food for thought.
LINK ► http://www.ultraligero.net/aviones/modelos/freedom_40.htm
</addendum>
E-mail Reply: 15 - 15
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment