Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Pilot Reports? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Pilot Reports?  This thread currently has 344 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ironnerd
July 11, 2018, 3:30pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
So this might seem like an odd question (but I could not find anything using the Search feature), but what kind of flying qualities should one expect from a "Max"? Is there much difference between the Mini and Hi?
radfordc
July 12, 2018, 2:20pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
radfordc
July 12, 2018, 2:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Here's a start...   http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2012/Magazine/April/HiMax.pdf

I can only speak to the Airbike.  Mine flew exactly like a Taylorcraft...but 10 mph slower.  It was the nicest flying plane I've ever experienced.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
ironnerd
July 13, 2018, 11:13pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thank-you, radfordc.
The article makes the Hi-Max sound like a pretty enjoyable little plane.
E-mail Reply: 3 - 6
Bill Metcalf
July 15, 2018, 6:01pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
If you have ever flown a Cub or a Champ you got a pretty good idea of what a Max is like - except that most Max's are more responsive and have a higher power-to-weight ratio (excluding VW-powered ones). The biggest difference.....and I can't emphasize this enough....this is a low-weight, high-drag aircraft in most iterations. Basically, an ultralight, whose usage will be highly influenced by wind and weather conditions. Much more so than any factory aircraft. A good level of stick-and-rudder skill will offset this to some degree, but it doesn't take a very strong crosswind to completely blow a Max off the runway in an instant, in spite of your skill or intentions.
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
texasbuzzard
July 15, 2018, 7:41pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
I have owned a Rans s-17, max 103 and now an Airbike and then all behaved the same. As Bill said their lightweight and high drag limits the weather conditions you should fly in. On a cool calm day they are total fun, on a hot windy day they will wear you out.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
gyrojeffro
July 18, 2018, 5:42am Report to Moderator
Guest User
In theory our airplanes are much stronger than we think and the wings will stall before they break. It turns out   its the bird brain pilot who is at fault.
E-mail Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment