Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Changing from a flat front Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Changing from a flat front  This thread currently has 290 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Stilson
July 7, 2018, 1:05pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
I have to replace my windshield anyway (it's starting to crack), so I thought it would be a good opportunity to try cleaning up the airflow a bit over the flat front/sharply rising windshield it had.  I made this fiberglass piece, but am a little concerned that the added area ahead of the cg might cause problems with yaw.  I think it's less than a cowled 440, but would like some second opinions before I start attaching it

Attachment: img_1736_2380.jpg
Size: 621.65 KB

Private Message
Stilson
July 7, 2018, 1:18pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Sorry these pics came through so big, I'm trying to figure out how to shrink them

Attachment: img_1735_2401.jpg
Size: 619.51 KB

Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
Tom
July 7, 2018, 7:22pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Generally speaking a streamlined and rounded cowl is going to produce less drag than the engine just hanging out in the air no matter what direction you envision drag producing air flow coming from.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
Stilson
July 7, 2018, 8:19pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
I'm afraid I don't have enough room between my ring gear and prop to safely wrap the cowl up to it and around my starter. The starter was creating rolling waves of very turbulent disturbed air that got extremely ugly when they got to the windshield (at least with the engine running an the ground, and a smoke maker in front of the prop).  I played around with a lot of different foam plugs trying to make the best of the situation, and this is the result, it splits the air stream coming off the starter, and it stays quite smooth going back (again on the ground with smoke). My concern is more with it delaying recovery from an unintended spin since I'll still have the full exposed engine drag plus another square foot and half of "frontal" area on the wrong side of center in a spin situation, I'm probably over thinking it though.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
Stilson
July 7, 2018, 9:05pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
if you've ever riden a motorcycle up behind a semi on the interstate, that point when it starts to buffet you from side to side, then you get just a bit closer and the air is smooth is what got me thinking. I'm projecting the lead in to the windscreen into the low pressure region of vortex drag behind the starter so it (in theory) is "drafting" from the starter, a stable low pressure region develops between the two parts and as far as the air is concerned they are one.  Essentially creating a "fairing" out of the air itself.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
mullacharjak
July 10, 2018, 11:34am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Looks like a homebuilt 1/2 vw.
Can you state the bore x stroke.

The minimax weight ?

And lastly but not  leastly does it  climb well.

KK
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
Bill Metcalf
July 10, 2018, 3:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
LOL!
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
Stilson
July 10, 2018, 7:26pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
It's cut case 45hp Hummel later refitted with a starter. 96 bore, 86 mm stroke, aluminum cylinders,
Single mag ignition, zenith carb.  Spinning a Tennessee 54 22 prop (4 3/4" wide).
Put the bird on the scale today with crankcase full and pint or so of gas, small bag of tools on board, and a lot of axle grease etc that could be removed, it weighed 259lbs.  Clean and empty it can make weight for UL, but JUST barely.  
That is with rib stitching, "light" tail, 2.9 oz cloth on the bottom, 1.6oz cloth everywhere else (finished in full polyfiber process with good poly spray layer on top, light poly spray on bottom).  
I'm in the process of reviving it, (previous owner deceased), after 1100 flight hours, and being 23 years old it had some condition issues (now resolved) so have not been able to get hard numbers on climb rate.  I was concerned about the vw reputation for this and as the previous owner was very active in the local EAA chapter, I have talked to a good number of people who know this plane.  Every  one of them have stated that power and climb are more than adequate. I will be able to give solid data when the soybeans are out of the field and I can roll it for a grass strip
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
Stilson
July 10, 2018, 9:18pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
My soon to be Grass strip has a lot of leeway however, as long as I don't hit my mailbox

Attachment: img_1761_4110.jpg
Size: 169.65 KB

Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
mullacharjak
July 11, 2018, 1:43am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

You can land blindfolded on this omni directional runway of yours.

Best feature of this airstrip there dont seem to be any of those dreaded trees ready to snare those helpless minimaxes powered? by  85.5x69 1/2vw

engines although I doubt if such  a minimax exists.

There is a  clip on youtube of a very nice minimax powered by an engine exactly like yours.A very exceptional Mr masanori of the Tokyo flying club

first built the workshop and then the aircraft,

It can be seen flying in a very adequate way and the sound is just great.

KK

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment