Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  adding a removable canopy after the fact Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

adding a removable canopy after the fact  This thread currently has 175 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
July 6, 2018, 12:33am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I had my flat top Max fuselage build pretty much complete through paint, choosing rounded windshield about sixteen inches high and smaller than usual turtle like structure further aft of the cockpit than normal.  I actually like the general lines, but now I am starting to listen to the people here in the northeast who are saying that the wide open design really won't be so feasible for five to six months of the winter.  I had intended to solve that with a heated arctic suit.  Now I am not so sure my choice was right.  So I am trying to fashion an esthetically acceptable after the fact bolt on throw over style canopy like on the Fly Baby site.  Now quite a ways into the fabrication, I see that while the windshield height is probably OK for the windshield, the height required to go over my head is much greater, more like twenty-four inches so a rapid rise in the enclosure occurs from the windshield to where my head is and it all has to go back down to the flat fuselage top in about the same place as the current small structure.  The result in profile is a huge hump not quite in the middle fore and aft, sort of reminds me of a giant cargo plane I have seen pictures of, sort of a fat guppy.  If I was five foot four the issue would be small, at six feet it is quite a noticeable design feature.  So with the throw over removable canopy, the plane may well approach butt ugly, really won't know til I get it done, but it certainly seems like it will look turn heads out of wonder and curiosity, not out of "hay nice looking plane", but anyway, it will be what it is.  If it is ugly, it will be ugly half the year, and not bad the other half.  Photo is supposed to be attached, not sure it made it though.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
kfb
July 6, 2018, 12:41am Report to Moderator
Ace
I think the photo made it this time
Kim Brown

Attachment: mini_max_2_7098.jpg
Size: 482.05 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
Keith103
July 6, 2018, 2:45am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
I saw this picture in the archives. It is possibly  BobHood's MiniMax.

Attachment: canopy_2982.jpg
Size: 64.14 KB

Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
kfb
July 6, 2018, 12:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Hi
That photo does seem to sum up what I have discussed, his looks better than mine probably will as mine is a flat top and he has rounded the top a bit.  It seems as if he made the canopy even higher than it needed to be, he has lots of head room, I only calculated for one to two inches clearance over my head.  Anyway, will post a photo of the final result, probably be a month or so, there is actually a lot of work in building a quickly removable throw over canopy.  Thanks for help as always.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  adding a removable canopy after the fact

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment