Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  I'm in! Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

I'm in!  This thread currently has 613 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ironnerd
June 30, 2018, 8:40pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I bought a mostly-completed Hi-Max today.
The workmanship look great, and the G50 engine is in beautiful.

Now I just need to find a place to keep it, and a way to move it from where it is to where I need it to be.

Attachment: img_0633_9395.jpg
Size: 408.66 KB

Attachment: img_0634_1425.jpg
Size: 375.39 KB

Attachment: img_0685_1736.jpg
Size: 133.94 KB

LSaupe
July 1, 2018, 1:06am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Nice find.  Looks great.  Best of luck with the finish work.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
ironnerd
July 1, 2018, 1:13am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thank-you LSaupe

I'll be keeping it basically per print for a while.
I may still switch to my Hirth though, since the engine mount is for a Rotax (I think), and the engine is a Zenoah. Both the Hirth and Zenoah are pretty cool little engines though...

Still trying to figure out if I did something cool, or something stupid with this purchase... I guess it can be both, But it just looks so fun. I was told these fly like a C-150. I'm a Cessna-trained pilot (C-152 II, and C-172), but I normally fly an AA-1A. I'll need to find a tail-dragger driver for some help transitioning from nose draggers...

So many small things.
E-mail Reply: 2 - 13
raphael150
July 1, 2018, 1:35pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 days 12 hours 27 minutes
What a beautifull machine! This is what I want to my max!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
cdlwingnut
July 1, 2018, 5:42pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
Congrats. Hope you enjoy finishing it up and flying it. Yes definitely find a tail wheel airplane like a cub, champ, ect. And a GOOD tail wheel instructor to get the endorsement. It is not real hard. Some tips when you fly the nose draggers pay attention, make sure the plane is pointed along the center line and there is no drift when you touch down. A nose dragger will forgive some drift a tail wheel wont. On more trick make sure you are holding the plane off until it is at the proper landing attitude. Practice these things and the transition will be easier.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
ScottLuckman
July 1, 2018, 7:43pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 21 days 15 hours 15 minutes
Ironnerd,
Nice find! If you don't need the G-50, I'll take it off your hands. I've just changed my Hi-Max's turtle deck into a Fastback! I think it looks more like a real plane! I made it removable, so i can get access to my control system for service. I am using pushrods for ailerons and elevators controls. And I'll probably mount my VHF comm ant some where under there too!

Attachment: img_0603_1998.jpg
Size: 90.23 KB

Attachment: img_0602_9406.jpg
Size: 87.65 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
ironnerd
July 1, 2018, 9:03pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I also wanna do a removable turtledeck. I agree that it does look better, and provides a nice hiding place for various antennae.

Lemme ponder my engine options... at least lemme get the engine someplace closer (I have to re-examine the engine mount to see which engine it is actually supposed to support). It has some kind of big 90's tech digital display wired up to it. Looks cool. I'll post pics next time I have powerplant proximity.

So I guess this is my build log...

30 Jun 2018: Purchased partially completed kit. Appx time 1.0 hrs. (I'm going to scan the original build log and Post it here).

<addendum>
I chatted with the ATL FSDO about paper work and stuff for my Hi-Max. He must have looked it up on line while we were talking because he suddenly said, "Hey! That's a cool little plane." Then he told me my best point of contact for all the legalisms was the EAA.
</addendum>
E-mail Reply: 6 - 13
Bill Metcalf
July 3, 2018, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Great find. This is the point where it is said that the plane is 90 percent finished - with 90 percent to go. Good luck with it.
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
ironnerd
July 5, 2018, 10:41am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I am definitely seeing that, Bill Metcalf!

Is anyone else on the forum using a Hirth 2702 to power a Hi-Max 1700R? If so, I would love to bend your e-ear for some information.

I'm also curious about the "Eagles-Wings Corp" engine monitor currently attached to the G50 engine. Does anyone have experience with these? Looks useful, but rather large - and definitely 90's tech.
E-mail Reply: 8 - 13
PUFF
July 5, 2018, 3:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Couple questions and an Observation.

Q#1, where are you located, here in the southeast, I've used a single axle boat trailer to move my bird,with the wings in the back of the truck Padded Very Well.

Observation:  Ironnerd, I've got the same fast-back on mine, and it appears to interfere with rudder airflow just a bit. I'm not sure, but try it both ways and report back.
Also, you will need to re-do your weight and balance for it as well, as the new fast-back will push your CG back just a bit. Be careful.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
ironnerd
July 5, 2018, 11:37pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
PUFF,
I am in Atlanta. I can move the plane, I just don't have a place to put it yet (doh).

That is good advice about the weight and balance. I still have the basic turtle-deck, no fast-back yet. I think if I let myself go down that road, I'll never get the thing completed. I'll just keep tinkering. I will also be using a slightly heavier engine (Hirth 2702 vs Rotax 447), so that will also effect the W/B.
E-mail Reply: 10 - 13
PUFF
July 6, 2018, 11:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I'm in lower middle Tennessee. Shelbyville.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
ironnerd
July 18, 2018, 5:57pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Ordered my "Hangar" today...

10' x 20' portable greenhouse. The airport where I was planning to hangar my plane has decided to REMOVE several T-Hangars, so now there is no space. And there is no space at the surrounding airports either. So... for $200, I bought a greenhouse. When I finish the plane and find a real hangar, I can use the greenhouse for tomatoes and strawberries. I'll just have to put in a few fans on a thermostat to keep the temps reasonable in the Atlanta summer.
E-mail Reply: 12 - 13
ironnerd
August 3, 2018, 4:58pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hangar went up in about an hour and a half.

With a little luck, it will be filled with Hi-Max by this time tomorrow. Just gotta get that trailer...

...geeking out in place...
E-mail Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment