Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Flaps? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Flaps?
No (5 votes)
62.50%
Yes (3 votes)
37.50%
8 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Flaps?  This thread currently has 509 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ironnerd
June 29, 2018, 1:46am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I'm just curious. Who went with Flaperons from Sheet 8 of the Max-103 plans on their max?
beragoobruce
June 29, 2018, 3:08am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
I included flaps on my Eros. But they were of my own design, being part of my pushrod & torque tube control system.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
ironnerd
June 29, 2018, 12:40pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from beragoobruce
I included flaps on my Eros. But they were of my own design, being part of my pushrod & torque tube control system.

Bruce

Pushrods and torque tubes? Innnnteresting. Have you posted about this in another thread so I can read up (I admit to a preference to Pushrods and Torque-tubes).

E-mail Reply: 2 - 13
Max SSDR
June 29, 2018, 1:26pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
Bought my 'Max built but it has no flaperons (general choice in the UK) but it also has a push rod system. I was asked on here to publish details but the drawings/design intellectual property belong to 2 guys here in the UK and I didn't wish to breach that. I have a full set of drawings and I could ask the originators if they are prepared to share or if they want to sell licences if there's enough interest.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
Bill Metcalf
June 29, 2018, 6:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Flaps? Totally unnecessary on a low-mass high-drag aircraft like the Max. On final, in an extreme side slip, with the nose down 30-40 degrees and not really building up much speed, the concept of flaps becomes ludicrous.
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
Greg Doe
June 29, 2018, 7:12pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Bill Metcalf, I agree strongly. Wayne Ison told me that the first 100 or so kits had the flaps. After that they were made an option. I bought a Max 103 project that has flaps. The best benefit the flaps provide is a couple of mph, when they are re-flexed.  Most of the time I land with no flaps. Occasionally with flaps, and I've even landed with them re-flexed. They are mostly a gimmick on a Mini Max.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
lake_harley
June 29, 2018, 7:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from Greg Doe
The best benefit the flaps provide is a couple of mph, when they are re-flexed.    

After much consideration during building, I did the "flap/reflex" option just for the above reason. If it adds another 2-3 MPH during cruise that's about a 5% increase.....not shabby.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 13
beragoobruce
June 29, 2018, 10:01pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from 437

Pushrods and torque tubes? Innnnteresting. Have you posted about this in another thread so I can read up (I admit to a preference to Pushrods and Torque-tubes).

You can see my thread on pushrod controls here: http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1430015479/s-0/   Complete with arguments!

The system works very well. Main advantage is very light, smooth control feel. Also more inspectable than cables, but as I said in my thread, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the teleflex system that's standard. Just I prefer pushrod & torque tube.

I incorporated flaps as much as a design exercise, & because I wanted a 6ยบ reflex position on the flaperons. This is the main advantage, & definitely gives a bit more speed. I rarely use the flaps for landing, but they do knock maybe 3mph off the stall. The Max seems to float more with flaps, but landing slower means you lose some control authority. Might be useful in an engine out rough field landing, though.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
ironnerd
June 29, 2018, 11:37pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Greg Doe
The best benefit the flaps provide is a couple of mph, when they are re-flexed.  Most of the time I land with no flaps. Occasionally with flaps, and I've even landed with them re-flexed.

Quoted from lake_harley

After much consideration during building, I did the "flap/reflex" option just for the above reason. If it adds another 2-3 MPH during cruise that's about a 5% increase.....not shabby.

Lynn

And that is why I actually asked. I flew in a Flight Design with Flap Reflexing, and was impressed with the speed gain. I was wondering if it would have any benefits for the Max family.
E-mail Reply: 8 - 13
Tom
June 30, 2018, 12:11pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
It is my understanding that the reason flaps were included on the Part 103 Mini-Max designs was simply to comply with the maximum landing speed under
the part 103 rules.  If strict compliance with Part 103 is important to someone they would probably want to use them. Otherwise I would think it is a matter of personal preference.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
Bob Daly
July 1, 2018, 10:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Tom's right.  The flaps allow one to claim a maximum lift coefficient of 2 when using the graph determining stall speed.  Otherwise one has to demonstrate stall speed compliance with flight testing.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
Antoni
July 2, 2018, 11:12am Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Quoted from Greg Doe
The best benefit the flaps provide is a couple of mph, when they are re-flexed.

Absolutely the reason to have the flaps option.

Next to no effort and a good gain in the cruise with reflex. The slipperier the 'Max the more the gain.

(easy even tho I'm not a builder - retrofitted them myself and got them signed off)

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
ironnerd
July 2, 2018, 8:59pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I'm trying to figure out how I would retrofit reflexing flaperons to a completed Hi-Max (AFTER I get it flying... I'll fly it in basic config to get data, then I can observe the effects of my modifications).
E-mail Reply: 12 - 13
tomshep
September 9, 2018, 4:14pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
I vote yes. Only for up, though. There's no need to lower them. Antoni's point about making the max slipperier is valid. Mine is very much happier with nothing more than a fillet of 2" wide electrician's tape around the wing root and it hangs on to noticeably more speed in the flare. (Jolly handy yesterday,as it decided to be a Rotax 223 1/2 immediately after takeoff, traced to a leaky plug cap after the precautionary landing.)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment