Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Glide Ratio and Dead Stick Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Glide Ratio and Dead Stick  This thread currently has 399 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
LSaupe
June 6, 2018, 12:57am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Hi All:

New to the forum here and trying to obtain some info on the MiniMax.  Hoping to build a V-Max at some point.  Couple items I haven't been able yet to locate.  Does anyone have a good feel as what to expect glide ratio wise and best glide speed for a V-Max.

Do the MiniMax bird do well in a dead-stick situation?

One other question being the rather non-compliant main gear.  In a hard landing, what component typically would yield first (and is it an easy repair)?

Larry
Logged Offline
Private Message
PUFF
June 6, 2018, 11:37am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I've been told to look between your feet, as that is where you are coming down. The glide ratio is very poor, so use a closer pattern or make sure that you always have a place to put down close by.

The hard landing thing depends on whether you build a Hi Max or a Mini Max. Generally the gear seems to break and the side of the fuse as well.
In a minimax, the struts will either bend, or end up breaking the wing attach points.

This can be mitigated a little bit in a hi-max by using spring gear.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
tomshep
June 6, 2018, 12:09pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
The gear hinges on a hard landing and the strengthening pad above the front of the gear leg. Beyond that it becomes a crash and that means damage. Dead stick, trim for sixty mph and get the round out right or else.
They glide like bricks!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
PUFF
June 7, 2018, 1:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Yeah, the only real cushion on a box stock bird is the 6-8# air pressure in the tires.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
radfordc
June 7, 2018, 9:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from LSaupe
Hoping to build a V-Max at some point.  Couple items I haven't been able yet to locate.  Does anyone have a good feel as what to expect glide ratio wise and best glide speed for a V-Max.

Do the MiniMax bird do well in a dead-stick situation?

I don't have any experience with a Mini-max but had an Airbike for a few years.  I expect they fly a lot alike.

My best glide speed was around 45-50 mph and the rate of descent was 500 fpm...giving a glide ratio of around 8-9 to 1.

Dead sticks are easy as long as you don't get slow.  Keep 55-60 on final approach and don't round out until you are ready to land.  The speed pays off quickly and the plane won't glide far.

I use to routinely shut down the engine and land with no problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
LSaupe
June 8, 2018, 12:40am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Not sure which model of Minimax, but he is claiming about 10:1, would be excellent of true.  Kinda looks like about 250 fpm at 58 mph or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEFO3lsglM
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
beragoobruce
June 8, 2018, 8:53am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Looks to me like his ASI is reading kilometres per hour. He seems to be holding 70 - 80 kph all the way down - about 45 - 50 mph.

I would prefer to slip to lose the excess height on final, where he uses S bends. Great landing, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
radfordc
June 8, 2018, 1:25pm Report to Moderator

Ace
A 250 fpm rate of descent at 45 mph is about 15:1 glide ratio.  I think he's getting better than 10:1, which seems about right given that the Mini-max has less drag than an Airbike.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
radfordc
June 8, 2018, 1:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
He calls it a Speedmax.  Looks like it might have clipped wings?

https://youtu.be/EZFFp07TVPo
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
Max SSDR
June 8, 2018, 4:56pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
I usually make my short final approach speed around 45mph. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING to remember is the low inertia of the aircraft, without power, the smallest backward movement of the stick has the speed off instantly and it's too late to recover it. Also, a stationary prop = airbrake!

I have dead sticked my Taylorcraft twice, my old Shadow microlight several times and a PA28 once. The PA28 was the scariest because the stationary prop required a lot more nose down attitude than any practice force landing with windmilling prop and that really didn't seem right and the temptation to pull back was strong but the old mantra "Airspeed airspeed airspeed" saved my bacon!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
Bill Metcalf
June 8, 2018, 8:05pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Think of a bit of excess airspeed as money in the bank should you experience the "Big Quiet". It's really easy and quick to bleed it off of a Max when the moment comes. A forceful yank back on the stick quickly converts the draggy Max into a massive air brake, and you won't recover from it near the ground. But if there's a tree or post in your immediate future, it could be very handy.
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment