Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Tail brackets Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Tail brackets  This thread currently has 491 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gyrojeffro
June 3, 2018, 1:08am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I can't seem to find the right grade 6061 t6 aluminum channel for the tail brackets. These are used where the tail strut bolts up. Wicks appears to have the right material but when you click the link its listed as 6063-t52 grade. Can't find it at aircraft spruce either. I could buy 3/4" square channel and make it work but the wall thickness might be too thin?

http://aircraftproducts.wicksa.....channel/ch3-4x125-t5

lake_harley
June 4, 2018, 12:36pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
To make my tail brace fittings, I carefully cut one side off of 3/4" X .062" wall square steel tubing to end up with the 1/2" inside width channel. I cut it in such a way to preserve the full 3/4" height of the channel, but it did have the slightly thinned edges from the radiused outside corners of the square tubing I used. If you decide to go the "ripped" steel tubing route, look for sharp bend corners on square tubing not the really "rounded" corner stuff.

Please, always take my input as suggestions only. I admit that I have more of a car building mentality and that might not always be appropriate for aircraft.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 18
beragoobruce
June 4, 2018, 8:45pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
For any load-bearing application, like the tail brackets, it is important to use angle with an internal radius at the corner. The outside corner is less important, but angle with no inside radius will fatigue & crack much earlier than that with a 'fillet'.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 18
flydog
June 4, 2018, 9:55pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Well I cant remember who told me, or where I read it, but T5 and T6 are pretty much interchangeable. And if your looking for T6 and find T6xyz, ...same thing.
Again, just going by foggy memory so you do what you feel comfortable. I would feel fine with T5 in my plane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 18
gyrojeffro
June 4, 2018, 10:47pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
According to this guide https://alcobrametals.com/guides/aluminum 6063 is roughly half the strength of 6061.  
E-mail Reply: 4 - 18
flydog
June 5, 2018, 1:16am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Doh! I didn't see you wrote 6063 !
If you could find 6061 T5 it looks slightly weaker, 35ksi ultimate vs 38 for T6.  Moot pint though. 6063 is weaker still.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 18
gyrojeffro
June 5, 2018, 1:34am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from flydog
Doh! I didn't see you wrote 6063 !
If you could find 6061 T5 it looks slightly weaker, 35ksi ultimate vs 38 for T6.  Moot pint though. 6063 is weaker still.

No big deal dog, I think I will make mine from steel fittings, I thought of bending my own aluminum channel from flat plate clamped in a vise but I have seen how easily 6061 will crack at that thickness. I also got to thinking where else channel is needed in the plans. Looks like the spar carry through uses a one inch channel. luckily it looks like wicks carries a 1x2 rectangular tube in the right grade I can saw into the correct dimensions.

E-mail Reply: 6 - 18
Keith103
June 5, 2018, 4:23am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Jeff, Another resource you could tap into when you are stuck for a raw material is to check with Dave Cooper at TEAM. He will get you the part. Plus, he knows exactly what item is suitable etc. I have ordered quite a few metal parts from Dave in the last 2 years, and his prices are almost same as Aircraft Spruce. Sometimes he will have it even drop shipped to you from ACSpruce.

ACSpruce obviously has a bigger set-up and if you order from them you may get the item possibly a day sooner, but in a 2 year build process, I found that one day by itself makes no real difference. You need to email Dave at theecoop@comcast.net if you need some item.   This is just an added resource you could keep in mind.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 18
Bob Daly
June 5, 2018, 4:12pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
My R1100 plans specify for all the AL channel including the tail strut attachments either 6061-T6 or 6063-T52.  With a yield strength of 21 kpsi, the 6063 bracket will withstand 1575 lbs. Even if we assume the strut bracing takes all the spar bending (it does not take even most of the bending), the bracket is ten times as strong as it needs to be.  Fatigue is not an issue.  The aircraft would have to be stressed to the design limit something like ten million times before fatigue failure in the bracket.
Private Message Reply: 8 - 18
tomshep
June 5, 2018, 9:04pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Keith is right. Talk to Coop.
I would not be happy making that bracket out of steel and I would be very unhappy indeed to see a bracket without an internal radius.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 18
Bob Daly
June 5, 2018, 10:41pm Report to Moderator
Ace
No inside radius in my TEAM-supplied AL channel for those brackets either.  Couldn't be, the AN3 bolt head wouldn't seat right.  Has TEAMMinimax done additional stress analysis beyond that done by Jim Collie and found his work lacking?
Private Message Reply: 10 - 18
Keith103
June 6, 2018, 2:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Bob is right. The channel that came with the kit does not have rounded corners on the inside.  
Also, why not use a slightly wider channel, so it is easier to insert a wrench to tighten the nut and bolt ?

Attachment: tail_strut_bkt_1_1741.jpg
Size: 85.72 KB

Private Message Reply: 11 - 18
gyrojeffro
June 6, 2018, 3:09am Report to Moderator
Guest User
That is a 6063 t5 bracket Keith  same thing lawn chairs are made from. I'm not saying its not strong enough. Its impossible to find 6061 grade at that size.
E-mail Reply: 12 - 18
beragoobruce
June 6, 2018, 6:59am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Sorry, I was reading the original question to be referring to the tailplane mounting brackets, not the bracing struts. It's true the channel has square internal corners, so that the bolt head sits snug to the base.

The lack of an internal radius is not a problem on a lightly loaded cleat such as the tail brace. But it would be on a more highly stressed bracket like the one that secures the tailplane to the fuselage. Here, you would certainly want a radiussed internal corner, as a sudden change of section greatly influences fatigue life (the main mount item is radiussed internally on my plane).
Steel also generally has a lower fatigue life than aluminium, even though it is 'stronger'. Something to bear in mind if you are sourcing your own metal parts.

On the same theme, try to make your holes as smooth as possible, and spend some time getting all cut edges as smooth & polished as possible. Any small notch or scratch is a stress raiser. Of course, the Max is a very lightly loaded structure with lots of reserve in these items of detail design, but it is good practice to avoid building in a potential failure point. When I worked in the aerospace industry, apprentices were taught never to use pencil in marking material to be shaped, only to use felt tip pens. Even the notch caused by the pencil graphite was a potential site for a crack to start & so was forbidden!

I'm sure many builders already know these things, but there may be some who don't.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 18
Bob Daly
June 6, 2018, 8:32pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from 509
That is a 6063 t5 bracket Keith  same thing lawn chairs are made from. I'm not saying its not strong enough. Its impossible to find 6061 grade at that size.

Didn't you build and fly a plane made out of foam house insulation?

Private Message Reply: 14 - 18
gyrojeffro
June 7, 2018, 3:43am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Burt rutan built a pretty amazing airplane from foam. I emailed David cooper, he said 6063 grade would be fine on the channel because there is only a push and a pull. I think I will give my money to Dave because he doesn't give me what I want.to hear
E-mail Reply: 15 - 18
Bill Metcalf
June 8, 2018, 8:19pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
I think that is correct - there is only a side-to-side force on these components. That basically translates to an up-and-down longitudinal force at the hole where the bolt goes through. So the stress would likely be localized on the floor of the channel where the bolt hole is. I doubt the sides of the channel serve any function at all except maybe to add overall strength and prevent fore and aft movement of the strut in some situations. You might want to regularly check the area around the through-bolt for cracks.
Site Private Message Reply: 16 - 18
joe.scalet
June 12, 2018, 1:29am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
For what its worth:
Airparts has 6063 T52 channel in their catalog:

http://www.airpartsinc.com/167_ALUMINUM_C_CHANNEL.htm

I've built on airplane and rebuilt another and having Airparts and B&B within 20 minutes of my hangar has been very convenient.

Joe
Original Team Airbike
Monerai SP
Aeronca 7AC Champ

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 18
lowandslow
June 12, 2018, 2:34am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 19 hours 19 minutes
I want to go carefully here so not to offend anybody but when technical information MIGHT be misleading or incorrect I think it proper to speak up - if only for clarification purposes.

Regarding:  "Steel also generally has a lower fatigue life than aluminum, even though it is 'stronger'. Something to bear in mind if you are sourcing your own metal parts."

Steel does not have a fatigue life if it is cyclically stressed at loads lower than a certain limit.  The design engineer usually designs under that limit so you don't have anything to worry about.  Aluminum always has a fatigue life.  (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit)  In the certified airplane world, if you use steel and it is stressed above the fatigue limit, it will become a "limited life item" and must be replaced - usually based on cycles.  The main landing gear on lots of Beechjets fit into this category.  

Regarding:  "When I worked in the aerospace industry, apprentices were taught never to use pencil in marking material to be shaped, only to use felt tip pens. Even the notch caused by the pencil graphite was a potential site for a crack to start & so was forbidden!"  

This is really good advice but a note of clarification is in order - the pencil does not (under normal usage) put a notch on the part but it does leave graphite which can lead to a corrosion induced failure.

Along the same lines though - that is why you should never use a scribe to layout a part on aluminum - if not sawed off - that is a scratch that could become a stress riser and lead to a crack/failure.  

BTW - It can be a very poor practice to substitute materials in a loaded application - go forth really carefully because you might be in uncharted waters.  What usually gets folks is the relative stiffness of the two materials.  For a simple example: say you are trying to increase the strength of a spar (because you are going to add some sort of load it was not originally designed to carry) and add a piece of very strong (i.e., stiff) steel to the existing aluminum cap.  So the steel, because it is stiffer, carries most of the load until it fails and then the aluminum comes into play but, alas, it is now the weak link in the load carrying system and it too fails.

Submitted with good intentions!

Building an AeroMax
My build log is available at http://www.mykitlog.com/lowandslow/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 18
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment