Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Mikuni Fuel pump service kit - Where to buy? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Mikuni Fuel pump service kit - Where to buy?  This thread currently has 201 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Antoni
May 17, 2018, 3:30pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
I've had one engine failure and two power reductions after take-off because I've been too lazy to service the vacuum driven fuel pump. Didin't understand the warnings at first but do now.

Gradual raising of EGT at cruise power over months.

Because the diaphragm in the pump gets stretched it doesn't deliver its full stroke leaving lower fuel level in the float bowl and a leaner mixture.

Worst case is where you're on full chat at take-off. There's the least vacuum in the crankcase because the throttle is wide open and there's the most demand for fuel. That's when my 508 died and I had to land in a wood-yard just outside Breighton's boundary.

Getting high EGTs on the 503 again now.

Where's the best place to buy the correct service kit for our Mikuni round pumps in the US?
Logged Offline
Private Message
texasbuzzard
May 17, 2018, 4:56pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
LEAF and A/S carries the kits.

monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
beragoobruce
May 17, 2018, 8:16pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
That's useful to know, Antoni. How many hours do you reckon before this problem is likely to show up?

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
Antoni
May 17, 2018, 9:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Suspect it's less a matter of engine hours run, more about how long the diaphragm has been sitting in petrol/ethanol.

Anyway, the Rotax manual does give the service/replacement details but I'm a long way from aircraft and manual at the mo.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
joe.scalet
May 18, 2018, 6:17pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
Rotax has a service letter for the Mikuni pressure pumps. If the pump pressure inlet is above the engine pressure port there is no problem. If it is below the engine pressure port there must be a weep hole drilled in the pump. This applies to both the round and rectangular style pumps.
The diaphragm cavity can fil with fuel/oil over time and gradually prevent the pump from functioning. Usually the pumps from Team have this modification. The rebuild kits would not add this modification as the castings have to be drilled with a 1/64" hole.
Please read page two of:
https://m.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/Part41.pdf
for more information.

Joe Airbike #1
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Antoni
May 23, 2018, 4:47pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks.

Part # 07-01010 ordered from Aircraft Spruce at $14.75 along with a Yaesu 550 AA at $199 (both much cheaper than UK).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
bob.hood
May 23, 2018, 5:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Antoni,

You could also get them through Ebay in the States, as they deliver to the UK. Here's the ad I just ordered my kit through.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-.....p2060353.m1438.l2649

I ordered mine on Friday, 18th, and it's been dispatched, so I'm now waiting for it to drop through the letter box.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Mikuni Fuel pump service kit - Where to buy?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment