Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Update from a British Buzzard Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Update from a British Buzzard  This thread currently has 262 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
tomshep
May 12, 2018, 5:32pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
One of my pals moved his Grumman off the field and gifted me his hangar. The old one (the World's least salubrious aircraft shed, a confection of plywood and plastic tarpaulins,) was reduced to a flatpack on Monday and today the wreckage went to the town recycling centre, courtesy of a friend with station wagon and trailer. That is a big cross off my worry list. My airfield operators are good folk and I don't want to upset them.
  I have flown the aircraft for more hours this year than last year. High on my list of concerns has always been running out of fuel. I spent some time designing a fuel computer  which cost about $60 and shows tank contents, fuel pressure, current consumption, average consumption and fuel used. I have put in a reserve tank as well which is really noticeable on the take off run but the ten extra litres gives me two and a half hours endurance and the possibility of going further afield. One problem though is the rev counter. I don't like the tiny tach as I can never see the LCD which is always at the wrong viewing angle. Any attempt to make a grey wire to reality converter is doomed. I have built eight so far and I am an electronics designer by trade! So I finally gave up and bought an 8,000 RPM rev counter.
Which reads 8,000 RPM.
At any engine speed.
Pokkers!

I have CDI ignition and the short pulses from the  trigger are something I would prefer not to tap into for fear of impeding the spark. I might have to if the next circuit doesn't work.

Last week, after a good flight back from a local airfield, I dropped in over the trees, greased it on and landed in no distance at all. Later in the day, having turned the idle down, I closed the throttle, lost the thrust completely and landed the aircraft two feet up

Tomorrow, it will all be sorted out  and if the weather is suitable, I shall go flying. Our climate is unpredictable but even so, I have managed to fly every month this year. Hope you fellows are equally fortunate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Max SSDR
May 12, 2018, 5:39pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
Ah, I was just thinking that I hadn't seen you recently Tom.... options being a) He's on holiday, b) He's Sick, C) He's crashed!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
aeronut
May 12, 2018, 8:32pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Thank goodness it is none of the above; with the exception of on holiday.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
tomshep
May 13, 2018, 6:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Hip hooray!  Today has been flyable and the rev counter works!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment