Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  fuse-wing fairings and wintips Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

fuse-wing fairings and wintips  This thread currently has 182 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
April 26, 2018, 7:24pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I just ordered the wingtips and fuselage to wing fairings available through Cured Composites in Massachusetts.  Now I realize it would have been smarter to ask everyone's opinion before ordering them.  Oh well.  So, in spite of that, I would be interested in hearing what you folks think of the "trim" pieces I ordered.  Do most of you generally feel they are worthwhile?  Mostly just an aesthetic benefit?  Actually any real flight benefit?  Thanks for all comments
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
tomshep
April 26, 2018, 7:53pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Hoerner wingtips are said to improve controllability at landing speed by delaying the onset of the stall so are a good thing. Wing root fillets are major drag reducers. They don't tend to make a 'Max much faster, Wayne drew the wing section for lift, not speed but they reduce fuel burn quite markedly having the effect of another half gallon of range. Balsa fairings on the axle, tailplane struts and gear struts are a cheap improvement too.
A good aeronautical engineer calculated the effect of streamlined struts for a MiniMax and found it to save more than half a gallon an hour at 60 MPH. The aircraft was designed to part 103 restrictions. There is a lot that can be done to improve the aerodynamics.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment