Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Strut attachment bolt size Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Strut attachment bolt size  This thread currently has 230 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Keith103
April 21, 2018, 2:33am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Just finished attaching my struts. I did left side first, then removed the left wing and did the right side. I am yet to see if both sides line up level and symmetrical, as I did not have a chance to bolt both wings at same time. I will probably do it on Monday when the weather is likely to cooperate for moving the air-frame on to the driveway.

I noticed something which looked odd to me. All the bolt sizes for strut attachment as given in the plans seem to be one size too long. I eventually substituted all with one size smaller, but is there any reason for this mis-match ?  Or is it better to keep original size and add washers ? I mean, will adding washers on each strut bolt help in any way ?

Thanks for any suggestions / thoughts.
Private Message
Doug Green
April 21, 2018, 7:18pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 10 hours 35 minutes
Just make sure there are no threads inside any of the holes. The solid shank part of the bolt should go all the way through.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Keith103
April 22, 2018, 2:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Doug Green
Just make sure there are no threads inside any of the holes. The solid shank part of the bolt should go all the way through.

I will check each bolt again and confirm. Thanks.
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
lowandslow
April 24, 2018, 1:04am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 19 hours 19 minutes
Keith - just to make sure this isn't too easy, you'll have to also ensure that the bolts aren't "shanked out".  Meaning, the nut shouldn't clamp down on the unthreaded portion of the bolt.  Usually detectable by having too many threads protruding out of the nut.  My last store bought plane had one such occurrence in a aileron bell-crank to push-rod connection so it can and does happen to the best of them.

Building an AeroMax
My build log is available at http://www.mykitlog.com/lowandslow/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Keith103
April 24, 2018, 2:51pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from lowandslow
Keith - just to make sure this isn't too easy, you'll have to also ensure that the bolts aren't "shanked out".  Meaning, the nut shouldn't clamp down on the unthreaded portion of the bolt.  Usually detectable by having too many threads protruding out of the nut.  My last store bought plane had one such occurrence in a aileron bell-crank to push-rod connection so it can and does happen to the best of them.

Hi Darrel,
Exactly. I was however taking care to have a wee bit of thread left on the inner end of the nut after it gets tightened.
Thanks
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment