Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Well performing Legal UL MiniMax Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Well performing Legal UL MiniMax  This thread currently has 372 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Doug Green
April 20, 2018, 1:35am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 10 hours 35 minutes
I have been looking at several different designs to build and I keep coming back to the MiniMax. I have also considered going experimental but just don’t want the hassle. I have also considered using the Polini Thor 250 as it would be plenty power but mounting will be an issue.
I have decided I want to go with the MiniMax 1100 or 1030 and the Hirth F-33. Which one could be built lightest? I’m thinking the 1100 unless I’m missing something. If I build the 1100 what would be the best way to mount the engine? In the plans for the 1030 there is an optional fuse layout for the F33, should I use that layout for the 1100? I would prefer to mount it upright but guessing there are issues with that.
I am going to keep everything as light as possible and hope I end up with a nice flying Max.
Any input on this will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug
Logged Offline
Private Message
lake_harley
April 20, 2018, 2:39am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Perhaps this doesn't address your questions directly, but I built a 1100 with the wing design and light tail of the 1030. I powered it with a 277 Rotax. I haven't personally flow the plane but my "test pilot" said it flew very nicely on both occasions he flew it; about 20 minutes the first time and about 40 the second time.

The downside of building with a 277 Rotax is that they have been out of production for many years. It took me considerable time to find the used one that I eventually rebuilt/freshened myself. They are out there, but with patience they can be located. I think I ended up with only about $400 or $500 in my 277 using a 4-belt reduction unit rather than a gearbox.

With the 277 Rotax and keeping building light in mind throughout construction my MiniMAX came in at 246# empty weight. I was very pleased with that. It was borderline tail heavy so it is flown with a 1" thick piece of "pink" foam insulation as a backrest, which moves the pilot's weight forward and got the plane safely within the CG range. With a lighter engine the engine would need to be mounted further forward and I think the 1030 fuselage plan accomplishes that. I would strongly recommend calling David Cooper at TEAM and talking your ideas over with him, especially with the potential engines you're considering. I found David to be very helpful when I had questions, even though I did a scratch build rather than building from a kit. I did try to reciprocate his help by buying a lot of the bolts, nuts, washers and finally instruments through TEAM as a "thank you" for the help.

Best wishes on building a MiniMAX. It's a very rewarding experience; taking some "sticks" and thin plywood and building a real, flying airplane!

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
George Sychrovsky
April 20, 2018, 2:49am Report to Moderator
Guest User
This recent discussion has relevant info to  your interest

http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?m-1522888590/s-0/
E-mail Reply: 2 - 6
lake_harley
April 20, 2018, 3:27am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
George, your post reminded me of yet another potentially relevant post regarding weight & balance. I believe it is your post number 111 on this thread  http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?m-1471033163/s-90/  that pointed out what was probably a contributing factor to my MiniMAX being on the tail heavy side. Post 101 I believe is also relevant and is part of the whole discussion that took place.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
ulbuilder
April 20, 2018, 5:02am Report to Moderator
N349LE
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 20 hours 59 minutes
Yea, read through my balance issue George linked to.

My suggestion would be to build an 1100 fuselage and light tail from 1030.
The turtle decks on the 1030 add weight so the flat top 1100 will make it easier to hit weight.

If I were to start over I would have built a flat nose max making it easy to mount any engine.
Once the building, covering and painting was done I'd weigh her then pick an engine and add a cowl.
That way if you change your mind and decide to register your not stuck with a tiny engine or if you build well and end up light maybe you can get a bigger engine and still do part 103.

The 28HP F33, with electric start, is 20lbs lighter than a 277.
The 50HP F23, with electric start, is 20lbs heavier than a 277.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
aeronut
April 20, 2018, 12:15pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
I second what lake- harley said about talking with David at TEAM. I built the 1100 with the light tail in it and have a 447 in it. It fly's very well but is over the weight limit. I used more silver on the wings then TEAM recommended at the time and I rib stitched . David has the experience to guide you through what you are wanting to do.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
Buzz73
April 26, 2018, 8:13am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 22 minutes
Stupid question:  What is a 'flat nose' max?  Is that the flush firewall as in the VMax? Or the original plywood one as used in the 1100R?

~~~   In some cultures my behaviour would be considered normal.   ~~~
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment