Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Polini Thor 250 Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Polini Thor 250  This thread currently has 491 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Doug Green
April 18, 2018, 10:17am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 10 hours 35 minutes
Has anyone used a Polini Thor 250 on a MiniMax? With it's light weight and 35+ hp it looks like it might be a good option for going part 103 legal. I wonder how difficult it would be to mount and what mods would need to be made for mounting?
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
April 19, 2018, 12:42pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
I saw a Polini Thor 250 at Sebring and it was mounted as a firewall style mount on a powered parachute. It is a interesting engine but it looks like it would be difficult to do a bed mount. The liquid cooling would be a benefit but it adds complexity to the mounting and service of the engine. I talked with James Wiebe (Belite) and he is enthusiastic about it.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
raphael150
May 1, 2018, 12:45am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 days 12 hours 27 minutes
I am building a himax. I research lots of engines (simonini, minari, hirth, and rotax) and I am not finding any engine that match better with the himax than the polini thor 250. Light, powerfull enoght, dual ignition, electric start, liquid cooled and cheap: the best option nowadays in my opinion.
I am not finding any rotax 277, 477 or 503 with less than 25 years of manufacturing in my country (Brazil): and God knows how it was used. I will not fly an experimental airplane with an old 2 stroke engine.
I will make an steel tube suport, or simply attach it to a reinforced firewall.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
tomshep
May 1, 2018, 12:14pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Your choice, of course but my eighteen year old 447 isn't worn out yet and it is undersressed icompared to the Pollini
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
Doug Green
May 3, 2018, 3:44am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
The only drawback I am seeing with the Polini is that it runs at higher RPM. I'm not even sure that is a drawback but I heard it runs at 7,800 RPM to get the 35hp. I also heard that the redrive might be on the weak side for larger props.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
raphael150
May 11, 2018, 2:23am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 days 12 hours 27 minutes
But all 2 stroke engines spin 8000 RPM. Gearbox or belt reduces this RPM.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
beragoobruce
May 11, 2018, 2:53am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
No, many don't rev this high. The Rotax 447 & 503 redline at 6800. My 625cc MZ202 only revs to 6000, but still makes 60hp.

You don't get something for nothing. One reason the Polini is so light is because it makes its power from rpm, not displacement. Horsepower is a function of torque & rpm. A large displacement engine typically produces a lot more torque than a smaller engine, so to produce the same power it doesn't need to rev as fast. Conversely, if you want a small displacement (cc or cu. in) to produce the same power as a larger displacement engine, then it must rev faster. And, all other things being equal (which they often aren't), a faster revving engine will wear more quickly than a slow revving one.

Hence the Polini at 250cc makes 35hp at 8000rpm, while the Rotax 447cc makes 40 hp at 6800 rpm.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
Doug Green
May 11, 2018, 4:21am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
I also heard that it idles at higher RPM and that is why it has a clutch. With the clutch the prop will windmill if you have an engine out and that creates a lot of unwanted drag. I don't know this to all be true, just what I have heard so do your own research if considering it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
Antoni
May 11, 2018, 4:52pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Quoted from Doug Green
With the clutch the prop will windmill if you have an engine out and that creates a lot of unwanted drag. I don't know this to all be true, just what I have heard so do your own research if considering it.

If the windmilling prop is running free and not turning an engine over it might have the same or less drag than a stationary prop.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
tomshep
May 11, 2018, 8:01pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
I believe that you are mistaken on that point Antoni.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
beragoobruce
May 11, 2018, 9:59pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Although it is a bit counter intuitive, it is the case that a windmilling prop is draggier than a stationary one. This is because the oncoming air sees the area of the propeller disc as a solid, but with a static prop only the area of the actual blades presents an obstacle.

Also, consider that to turn a propeller requires energy. That energy can only come from the forward motion of the aircraft, & thus detracts from the inertia of the craft. That is, it slows down to provide energy to turn the prop.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment