Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  correct metal in fuel line fittings Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

correct metal in fuel line fittings  This thread currently has 218 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
April 4, 2018, 1:41am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I'm building a flat topped Max and have almost completed fuselage work including engine, controls, instruments, and decided to replace the plastic tank with an aluminum one.  I had it made and am now plumbing it to complete the engine connection work.  My question is which metal would be better, brass or aluminum, in the pieces going from the tank to the first piece of flexible fuel line?  The tank is aluminum, the shut off ball valve is brass, between those two will be a couple of nipples and an elbow.  It is those three pieces I am wondering about, I can get aluminum pipe accessories from McMaster Carr and brass fittings from many places.  I just am not sure which is preferred metalurgically speaking.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
tomshep
April 4, 2018, 8:11am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Alcohol in the fuel carries water which corrodes aluminium faster than brass. Brass is heavier. The corrosion is not an issue if you use well filtered fuel so I would choose aluminium.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
radfordc
April 4, 2018, 1:47pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
My Eindecker has an aluminum tank and I used brass fittings to link to the flexible fuel lines.  No problems so far after 3 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
bob.hood
April 4, 2018, 7:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
What's the score on using copper tubing?

I was wondering about using metal tubing on one of my microlights, and went on to a kit car website to see what they use to get fuel from the tank to the engine. Typically the run length will be longer on a car than on a light aircraft, so I was interested to see what they use. They advertise copper tube and aluminium tube. Copper would be easier to bend without creasing, so I may go with that, but of course it is heavier, so it's swings and roundabouts.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
tomshep
April 4, 2018, 7:47pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Copper work hardens and cracks so is not for use in an environment with high vibration.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
ironnerd
April 4, 2018, 7:55pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
'Luminum or Stainless. Stay away from copper ► Great for Houses, bad for Planes.
E-mail Reply: 5 - 7
bob.hood
April 4, 2018, 8:02pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Tomshep,

Good point, and I hadn't thought of that. Although, to be fair I wasn't thinking of using the metal tubing for the full length. I was thinking it would be useful for the first six feet or so from the tank up to the rear of where the engine sits (this is on a Spectrum, not a Minimax), then flexible tube to the vacuum pump, and of course flexible tube to the carb.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
radfordc
April 5, 2018, 1:38pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from bob.hood
What's the score on using copper tubing?

If copper tubing was a good idea for airplanes you would see copper tubing on airplanes....you don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment