Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  insulating your cockpit from engine and wind noise Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

insulating your cockpit from engine and wind noise  This thread currently has 353 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gyrojeffro
March 25, 2018, 2:16am Report to Moderator
Guest User
After sanding on my rudder and still waiting for my shipment of wood I started to wonder how I could make my himax like a "real" airplane. I saw georges himax  and how he insulated his airplane cockpit but to me that looks a little heavy, then I thought 3/4" dow Styrofoam panels would fit awfully neat between those rs8 members. let me know your thoughts, I"m not necessarily trying to make legal weight but I do know a lighter airplane flys better. Mother Nature.  
kfb
March 25, 2018, 2:18am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
First thought that comes to mind would be to check the flammability of the substance you are considering and the toxicity of the fumes when burned, ever the consideration in things that sometimes catch fire.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
gyrojeffro
March 25, 2018, 2:26am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from kfb
Hi
First thought that comes to mind would be to check the flammability of the substance you are considering and the toxicity of the fumes when burned, ever the consideration in things that sometimes catch fire.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire

Wood and fabric burns alot faster than Styrofoam.
E-mail Reply: 2 - 10
aeronut
March 25, 2018, 11:57am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
If you want insulation to keep your body warm wear a snowmobile suit.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
tomshep
March 25, 2018, 3:22pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Noise cancelling headset deals with one issue; a hat and an extra pair of socks the other.  It is your feet that feel the cold first but most heat escapes through your head (I no longer have the insulation I used to have there,) so wear a suitable* hat.

* Currently out of stock.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
George Sychrovsky
March 25, 2018, 4:01pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I used 1/2 inch Al foil covered house insulating foam panels covered with truck bed liner. This gives the right thickness to fill between the members,  Very light weight and easy to do.
But there is more to it , I also replaced the sandwich engine mounts with Lord type and redesigned the muffler saddle mount which transfers all the vibration and noise directly into the fuselage , I did a it with the rubber muffler hang strap with no direct contact.
Between all this the noise and vibration was reduced significantly.

Attachment: hmint02_3671.jpg
Size: 60.23 KB

Attachment: hmint01_3250.jpg
Size: 37.56 KB

Attachment: 4006_8907.jpg
Size: 170.79 KB

E-mail Reply: 5 - 10
gyrojeffro
March 25, 2018, 4:35pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks George.
E-mail Reply: 6 - 10
stevejahr
March 25, 2018, 8:40pm Report to Moderator

Airbike plans examiner
Ace
Time Online: 4 days 11 hours 43 minutes
George, those pictures impress me every time I see them  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 7 - 10
gyrojeffro
March 26, 2018, 2:13am Report to Moderator
Guest User
What part number lord mount did you use George? I am very aware of the 277s high frequency vibration using samich mounts. I thought they  were made for just for cert "gov" airplanes.
E-mail Reply: 8 - 10
George Sychrovsky
March 26, 2018, 8:26pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
This one
https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/lord-plate-mount-square.html

By the way , the foams for house insulating don't even burn anymore , at least not on their own they will self extinguish, unless it is surrounded with other burning stuff in which case they will burn up eventually.
E-mail Reply: 9 - 10
gyrojeffro
March 26, 2018, 10:22pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks George, I forgot all about leading edge airfoils.
E-mail Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  insulating your cockpit from engine and wind noise

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment