Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Making a grass strip Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Making a grass strip  This thread currently has 439 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
beragoobruce
March 18, 2018, 10:47pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Im planning to put in a 400 metre (1300') grass strip on one of my paddocks. I'm getting it prepared in the next couple of weeks, and hope to seed it then. I'll take advice locally on the best sort of grass to suit my local climate & conditions.

But I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who operates off a farm grass strip. In particular, what is the width? I'd like to keep the costs down, so would be good to hear views on this. Also any ideas for watering, rolling, & general care needed.

I don't want to lay gravel or dirt because of damage to the prop. Plus I can put some sheep on the strip to graze it.

Ricardo, I've p.m.'d you.

Cheers

Bruce

Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
March 19, 2018, 3:03am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Well it sounds like you have a great deal going for you. Just about 2800' of electric fence to get the sheep where you want to have your strip and then move around would seem to help greatly with the cost of mowing. Sounds like a winner to me. I have operated off 50' wide strips with no problems if they are part of a larger field that is in hay. But I have had to get out at the end of the strip and turn the plane around by hand cause I lack brakes. That will not be a problem for you.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
radfordc
March 19, 2018, 5:52pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from beragoobruce

But I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who operates off a farm grass strip. In particular, what is the width?

I've operated from grass strips for many years.  One was 75 x 1700 feet and the one I'm using now is about the same width and 2000 feet long.  More than enough for any Minimax.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
Larry
March 19, 2018, 8:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 6 days 18 hours 49 minutes
Mine is 1200' X 75'. My brothers is 1400'X70. A good roller is a good idea( the roller used on mine wasn't the best, and I can tell it), and both of us just mow them on a regular basis. Spray for dandelions sometimes. We both fly Pietenpols from them with no problems and the miniMAX is right at home on either one
Larry

a mile of road will take you a mile, a mile of runway can take you anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
gyrojeffro
March 20, 2018, 1:45am Report to Moderator
Guest User
This might be one of the shortest runways I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pa0f5U2RNQ
E-mail Reply: 4 - 10
radfordc
March 20, 2018, 4:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I used to routinely fly my Airbike in and out of a local model airplane runway that was about 600 feet long.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
Max SSDR
March 23, 2018, 7:35pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
200yds x 12' (yes FEET!) until I had an Efato and the owner grudgingly widened it to around 20'. Seems quite luxurious now  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
beragoobruce
March 23, 2018, 8:58pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from Max SSDR
200yds x 12' (yes FEET!) until I had an Efato and the owner grudgingly widened it to around 20'. Seems quite luxurious now  

Blimey! that must keep your concentration levels up.  And here was me thinking was 10 metres a bit tight?  

Flying off a very wide airfield grass strip, I'd never really considered how much - or little - I actually needed, width wise. I got my STOL's sorted ok, just never thought about width.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
gyrojeffro
March 24, 2018, 3:30am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I flew into a tighter strip than that lined with field corn on both sides and hundred foot pine trees on both ends, I think I put my nike brakes to work when I took back off in my pup, I would never land their again it was about 1500 ft long m aybe less, it was like climbing out of a jungle!
E-mail Reply: 8 - 10
radfordc
March 24, 2018, 3:36am Report to Moderator

Ace
The strip I used to fly from also had corn growing right to the edges of the runway...landing there in late summer was like landing in an alley.  75' of runway only leaves about 25' of clearance from each wingtip to the corn.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
gyrojeffro
March 24, 2018, 4:30am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from radfordc
The strip I used to fly from also had corn growing right to the edges of the runway...landing there in late summer was like landing in an alley.  75' of runway only leaves about 25' of clearance from each wingtip to the corn.

It was narrower than that believe it or not. My skypup had a wingspan of 31 feet, this was many years ago so my memory might be a bit shady like how Big that 12 foot bass I caught when I was fishing.  but I had a wing tip clearance of 6 ft on both sides from the corn.
E-mail Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment