Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  making the static port Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

making the static port  This thread currently has 386 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
March 6, 2018, 12:38pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I could not find it but I think that some time ago someone had submitted a sketch of how to make your own static port.  I had purchased two static ports from AS&S and went to install them one to two months later and can't find them, $17 a piece.  Rather than buy two more, I thought I might make them as I thought I had seen a sketch of how to do that here in ETLB.  I've run the tubing to both sides of the fuselage just ahead of the tail section and have finished the fuselage, but now can't find the two ports.  Does anyone recall the sketch I am referring to and could they resubmit it please if possible?  Thanks for the help
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
lake_harley
March 6, 2018, 2:56pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Kim....I was almost positive I saw a drawing on building and installing the rear static port you're asking about, but after a relatively quick look through various MiniMAX plans I didn't find it. But, I did find a description of how to build and install it in what I would refer to as the "Operator's Manual" that I have. It's the "Appendix C" in that manual. I can't really remember where I got it, but I think I might have printed it off from Team's website. I briefly looked on TEAM's website and I didn't see the menu item that would have included things like the manual. It's a manual that gives performance data, test flight procedures and other helpful info about the MiniMAX family of planes.

Sorry I couldn't state a page number on any plans about the static ports, but perhaps you can contact TEAM to see if they could send the manual to you, where I found the description.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
kfb
March 6, 2018, 5:33pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Lynn
I have the manual, will take a peak at it when I get home, that may well be where I had seen it too.  I would rather I hadn't filed away the two static ports from AS&S so effectively that I can't find them, but, that sometimes happens as we get older.  Thank you
Kim Brown
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
Keith103
March 6, 2018, 5:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/avi.....-pitot-static-system

This is not a direct response to this thread, but may be of help.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
lake_harley
March 6, 2018, 7:52pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from kfb
Lynn
I have the manual, will take a peak at it when I get home, that may well be where I had seen it too.  I would rather I hadn't filed away the two static ports from AS&S so effectively that I can't find them, but, that sometimes happens as we get older.  Thank you
Kim Brown

I understand your plight with misplacing things. I tell people that I spent 1,000 hours building my MiniMAX, with 200 of those hours spent looking for a screwdriver.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
ulbuilder
March 7, 2018, 1:06am Report to Moderator
N349LE
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 20 hours 59 minutes
You can see how I made mine here:
https://ulbuilder.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/static-ports/amp/

The only thing I would do different if I did it over again is make the plywood piece round instead of square.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
lake_harley
March 7, 2018, 3:40am Report to Moderator
Ace
Very nice job, and a great how-to on the process.

Looks to me like you might have bought some of those tiny clamps like I did at Horrible Freight? Pretty handy little clamps but the colors....well, it offends my masculinity.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
bigbrixx1
March 7, 2018, 12:50pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 16 hours
Although ULbuder did a great job outlining the process and as usual an even better job of crafting the static port here is the flight manual with the Directions. Static ports on page 35. I put my pitot tube on vertical fin and it seems to work great.

https://s74bceab9c2bb3da2.jimc.....me/Flight_manual.pdf

Best
B😄👍

V-max. Finished. Now in phase one flight
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
radfordc
March 7, 2018, 10:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
If you remove the mandrel from a pull rivet (ie, pop rivet) it makes a good static port.  Costs a little less than $17 too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
ulbuilder
March 8, 2018, 5:32am Report to Moderator
N349LE
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 20 hours 59 minutes
Lynn, yep Horrible Freight rainbow clamps.

200 hours looking for a screwdriver....I think I've spent a1000 hours contemplating the logistics of building an airplane in a one car garage.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
Keith103
March 8, 2018, 4:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
One non-tech way to check if your static port is reading correct ambient pressure , (and not slightly altered pressure caused by airflow related pressure changes at static port) is to do a take-off roll on the runway but keep speeds just short of lift off, and look for slight changes to altimeter readings.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
Maxray
May 31, 2018, 7:06am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 15 hours 7 minutes
Quoted from ulbuilder
You can see how I made mine here:
https://ulbuilder.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/static-ports/amp/

The only thing I would do different if I did it over again is make the plywood piece round instead of square.

I agree, I would make them round if I were doing it over... Here is how I did mine back in 1993 and it worked perfect.

Attachment: img010_4831.jpg
Size: 114.12 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment