Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Light tail on a himax Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Light tail on a himax  This thread currently has 304 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gyrojeffro
March 5, 2018, 9:06pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Are there any fuselage modifications required to adapt the light tail/ ultralight tail to the himax or will it bolt right to the existing structure? I would like to power it with either a rotax 277 or a hirth f33 in case your wondering. Thanks.
lake_harley
March 5, 2018, 10:46pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
I can see no reason it wouldn't go right in place. Follow the build instructions and drawing for the light tail shown on the 1030 plans and you should be golden.

Hope I'm not missing some detail, but if I did I'm sure others will be along shortly to take me to task  

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
gyrojeffro
March 6, 2018, 12:11am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from lake_harley
I can see no reason it wouldn't go right in place. Follow the build instructions and drawing for the light tail shown on the 1030 plans and you should be golden.

Hope I'm not missing some detail, but if I did I'm sure others will be along shortly to take me to task  

Lynn

I downloaded the plans for the 1030 max just for the tail and the himax plans for the rest of the build. Building from one of teams starter kits, the vertical tail and rudder. It looks as if I will have to buy the full size plans. Currently I have been viewing them from the pc and its been a little confusing to say the least  

Attachment: img_20180305_182332133_2908.jpg
Size: 761.17 KB

E-mail Reply: 2 - 9
PUFF
March 6, 2018, 12:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Aren't the light tails Wire-braced?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
lake_harley
March 6, 2018, 2:22pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Regarding tails, George posted the "history" of various MiniMAX tail assemblies. It's in post #19 of this thread  http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?m-1519829385/

The current 1030 plans have the light tail that use the strut tube braces rather than 4 cable braces.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
korale
March 6, 2018, 3:29pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 20 hours 27 minutes
Whats the actual weight difference between the 'light' tail and the 'heavy' tail ?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
lake_harley
March 6, 2018, 7:49pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I've heard a difference of 3# or more, although I've not weighed either. If you're building with weight savings in mind I think the light tail is worth consideration. It is a bit more tedious to build I think with wrapping the leading edge ply, building up the channel spars and all. But, my personal opinion is that it is probably best limiting it to a MiniMAX that uses a relatively small engine. I don't think I'd put one on a full VW engine equipped "race plane".

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
tomshep
March 6, 2018, 9:21pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
I would agree. Weight may be saved by covering with Oratex although gold may be cheaper.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
ulbuilder
March 7, 2018, 1:36am Report to Moderator
N349LE
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 20 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from tomshep
I would agree. Weight may be saved by covering with Oratex although gold may be cheaper.

Visions of someone using gold leaf to cover their wings, the builder claims "yea it weighs a bit more than Oratex but it's got a high gloss finish and costs half as much. It also has a better resale value!"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
gyrojeffro
March 7, 2018, 2:00am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I will post the weight of my light tail when I am finished, currently almost finished with the vertical stab/rudder and then I will start the horizontal.
E-mail Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment