Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Accessing inside of fuselage forward section Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Accessing inside of fuselage forward section  This thread currently has 404 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Keith103
February 16, 2018, 10:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Hi All, I am doing some work on the forward fuselage. First is to get the inside panels varnished. Next is to install the acrylic fuel tank that came with the kit, to its location just behind the firewall. And possibly at a later date to install the rudder pedals. I am 5 ft 7, and access seems to be a big challenge. Any tips on this, ( short of hiring a school kid on week ends ) ?
Thanks for help and suggestions.
PS Mine is a mid wing Max 103.
Edit:
The varnishing to be done is not behind the firewall, but below the engine compartment.
This is a small 12 x 12 x 12 inch compartment that is below the platform where the Rotax 277 is to be mounted.
Thanks
Private Message
TreeTopsTom
February 17, 2018, 10:58am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 26 days 13 hours 37 minutes
Is the Circus going to be rolling through your town in the near future?  
Anyone you know of invented a shrinking machine in your area?    
Stop by your local school and see if any of the gymnast want to make a few $$.
(better be careful how you approach that one though)  
Ummmmm.........                                                                                 TTT              
Private Message Reply: 1 - 19
lake_harley
February 17, 2018, 12:11pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
If my memory serves me correctly, I turned the fuselage on one side then the other at the edge of my work table to reach into the forward inside area. It took some flexing, but twisting around the corner I was able to reach everything. Be sure to start at the most forward parts and work your way back to the opening since you don't want your tummy getting into the wet varnish. I think it took a while for my hair to grow out enough though to get rid of varnish there though.    FWIW, I'm about 5'10 and a lean 145-ish pounds.

As far as installing my gas tank, I mounted my aluminum tank with some aluminum brackets that I found even more difficult to access. When I finally got it installed I told my wife we would have to get a really mechanically inclined 3 year old to ever remove it if it leaked.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 19
Keith103
February 17, 2018, 6:59pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from TreeTopsTom
Is the Circus going to be rolling through your town in the near future?  
Anyone you know of invented a shrinking machine in your area?    
Stop by your local school and see if any of the gymnast want to make a few $$.
(better be careful how you approach that one though)  
Ummmmm.........                                                                                 TTT              

TTT, Unfortunately, no circus is scheduled to come in (LOL). A gymnast or a contortionist will do great.
Thanks for responding.

Quoted from lake_harley
. . . I turned the fuselage on one side then the other at the edge of my work table to reach into the forward inside area. It took some flexing, but twisting around the corner I was able to reach everything. . . . . . . .

As far as installing my gas tank, I mounted my aluminum tank with some aluminum brackets that I found even more difficult to access. . . . . .
Lynn

Hey Lynn, Thanks for that tip. Simple but great solution.

I am thinking of going one step further, and see if I can have the fuselage inverted, so I can put my head inside the cockpit opening, and just lean forward to mount the fuel tank. It probably requires some wooden stand to support the inverted fuselage at correct height.

I got the panels behind the firewall varnished by simply attaching the paint brush to a 2 ft extension wooden handle. However, the area just under the engine is where I have an issue.

It probably can be accessed after I invert the fuselage. I am attaching a picture to indicate the exact location that I cannot reach to varnish.

Thanks

Attachment: imag0979_8865.jpg
Size: 91.48 KB

Attachment: imag0977_2892.jpg
Size: 88.21 KB

Attachment: imag0972_1665.jpg
Size: 102.12 KB

Private Message Reply: 3 - 19
Greg Doe
February 17, 2018, 7:05pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
I bought a Part 103 Mini Max that had been damaged. I had to do some repairs in that area, and I turned the fuselage upside down on some saw horses. Then I got on my knees, and stuck my head, and upper body into the fuselage through the cockpit opening. I also did a few repairs through the access hole in the front of the fuselage. I'm 6' 2" and 200lb.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 19
bob.hood
February 17, 2018, 7:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Keith1100,

I took the front panel off my minimax when I wanted to do some work inside the front of the fuselage. I then screwed it back on again after I'd finished. However, if you like you can always epoxy it back into place, or replace the original with a new panel if you damage the original while getting it off. It's only thin plywood after all, and has very little effect on the structural strength of the fuselage, if any.

I've attached some photos of the front panel on mine. As you can see I managed to damage the original, so after getting in under my engine and making the adjustments to the engine mounts that I wanted to, I bought a fresh panel and screwed it into place. You can also see that on mine the front panel supports the vacuum fuel pump. It was there when I bought the plane, so that's where I put it back after replacing the panel, but I think this summer I'll move it closer to the engine.

Attachment: original_front_panel_9142.jpg
Size: 243.70 KB

Attachment: front_of_engine_1_606.jpg
Size: 233.22 KB

Attachment: front_panel_1_3495.jpg
Size: 270.80 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 19
lake_harley
February 17, 2018, 8:25pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Keith1100....I believe you need to put at least an access hole in the front panel. I think mine is about 4" diameter and I made a round cover out of 1.5MM ply that's held on with tiny wood screws. I forgot a lot of details on my build, but I think I made a sort-of reinforcing ring to glue inside the hole to give more thickness for the three mounting screw to bite into. You'll need to get in there to install motor mount bolts and the rudder pedal tension springs. There are probably some other reasons too, but that's the items that come to mind right now.

Inverting the fuselage to varnish the forward section and install the gas tank is a great idea! I considered that but didn't want to kneel down for that long and didn't give much thought to making saw horse "risers". This forum always proposes several ways to skin a cat. Gotta love it!

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 19
Ricardo
February 17, 2018, 9:07pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
In my Minimax I cut a large square piece out of the front panel.  I put hinges and a self locking device so the cut piece became a door. After removing  the low front cowling, all I need is to open the door and have acces to the battery compartment and the pedals as well. Sorry, no pictures at hand to show my work.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 19
Keith103
February 17, 2018, 10:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Greg Doe, Bob, Lynn, and Ricardo. Many thanks to all of you for your valuable advice and tips. Bob, thanks for the pictures.

I may end up removing the front panel for now ( anyways, it is slightly worn from 20 years of storage and re-location /transportation at least 3 times ). The ply is already is beginning to peel in one corner. With that panel out of the way, I will get more access and room to fit the rudder pedals,  engine and other accessories out in front. I will replace /glue a fresh panel right at the end, with an access hole cut in it.

Thanks again.
Private Message Reply: 8 - 19
TreeTopsTom
February 18, 2018, 12:17am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 26 days 13 hours 37 minutes
So Glad I was able to help out with all MY ideas!     LOL             TTT
Private Message Reply: 9 - 19
Ricardo
February 18, 2018, 11:13pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Here a couple of pics

Attachment: battery_compartment_6523.jpg
Size: 226.80 KB

Attachment: front_acces_8169.jpg
Size: 233.72 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 19
Keith103
February 19, 2018, 2:17am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi Ricardo, The pictures are really helpful. I get the idea.
Thanks.
Private Message Reply: 11 - 19
Greg Doe
February 19, 2018, 3:55am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
The front panel on my Max has a standard 3 1/2" inspection hole with a 5"  aluminum cover. In warm weather I remove the cover, and in cool weather I install it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 19
Keith103
March 11, 2018, 2:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for all help and suggestions. I managed to install the fuselage tank. For accessing the front bolt of the tank bracket, it is possible only through the front panel. I have cut out the front panel for easy access, and will fit a new panel with a hatch after engine installation.

Here are some pictures.

Attachment: tank_fitment_1_967.jpg
Size: 95.49 KB

Attachment: tank_fitment_2_2595.jpg
Size: 95.12 KB

Attachment: tank_fitment_3_5654.jpg
Size: 70.80 KB

Attachment: tank_fitment_4_upright_4620.jpg
Size: 64.71 KB

Attachment: tank_fitment_5_9898.jpg
Size: 87.22 KB

Private Message Reply: 13 - 19
Bill Metcalf
March 11, 2018, 7:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Be aware that the forward end plate contributes to the strength of the fuselage box. Cutting away too much could be risky. How much is "too much"? Not qualified to say.
Site Private Message Reply: 14 - 19
Keith103
March 11, 2018, 8:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Bill Metcalf
Be aware that the forward end plate contributes to the strength of the fuselage box. Cutting away too much could be risky. How much is "too much"? Not qualified to say.

Thanks , Bill. Totally agree with you on that.
Private Message Reply: 15 - 19
texasbuzzard
March 11, 2018, 10:03pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Keith after looking at your tank install I was wondering if it is removable. I didn’t build my 103 but the tank could not be removed unless the front turtle deck is removed. The tank was over 25 yrs old and would have liked to inspect or replaced it. Anyway your build looks great...keep it up.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 19
Keith103
March 12, 2018, 2:37am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from texasbuzzard
Keith after looking at your tank install I was wondering if it is removable.
Monte

Monte, Thanks for your comments. Yes the tank is a close-fit to the shape of the fuselage, but is removable with a bit of a squeeze and wiggle. I think it is designed to be that way because this design eliminates the need for side restraints or brackets that prevent side to side movement of the tank. The fuselage walls act as the retraining barrier to prevent lateral movement of the tank. Also the side ply walls, if you recall, had tended to cave in a bit at initial cockpit assembly, since the 103 design does not have a side vertical reinforcement between station 1 and 2 . So the caved in ply makes it look the tank will not fit, but there is at least 1/2 inch of squeeze out available at each side wall. Which is why after the tanks are installed, the side walls expand some, giving the cockpit sides a more linear profile. Also depending how wide your top ply is cut out for the filler neck, don't forget to remove the tank' s cap before mounting or removal. I made this mistake once.
Private Message Reply: 17 - 19
George Sychrovsky
March 12, 2018, 2:58am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from texasbuzzard
I didn’t build my 103 but the tank could not be removed unless the front turtle deck is removed.
Monte

I'm not totally sure if my memory is correct on this one but I believe your particular airplane has actually a wing tank fitted into the fuselage so the installation is different  from the plans.  

E-mail Reply: 18 - 19
texasbuzzard
March 12, 2018, 10:24am Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
George that might be true since it was the prototype of the 103 series and they probably used a leftover tank. I do know that the tank did not have a taper.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 19
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Accessing inside of fuselage forward section

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment