Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  bolts attaching horizontal stab. to vertical stab. Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

bolts attaching horizontal stab. to vertical stab.  This thread currently has 276 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
February 10, 2018, 3:57pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I think all the Maxes are the same, there are two bolts going up through the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer and into the vertical stabilizer to secure those two pieces together, there are nut plates in the vertical stab..  My question is:  what do you do to the heads of the bolts under the horizontal stabilizer to avoid those heads from sitting right on the fuselage fabric and perhaps eventually wearing a hole in it?  Perhaps some people did not put fabric in that location on the fuselage?  I did put fabric there, so I guess one thing I could do is to cut two small holes in the fabric and then applying reinforcing patches.  Comments appreciated as always
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
February 10, 2018, 4:27pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Yes I was concerned about the same issue but the bolt heads have not worn thru the fabric yet. My Max is 18 years old but has not a lot of hours so I am not sure how long it would take to happen. You could put a reinforcing fabric patch where the bolt heads contact the fuselage fabric. If you cut holes then you should put a reinforcing patch around the holes. Are you doing the poly fiber process?

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Larry
February 10, 2018, 5:45pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 6 days 18 hours 49 minutes
30 year old miniMAX and no issues with the bolts wearing through the fabric

a mile of road will take you a mile, a mile of runway can take you anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
bob.hood
February 10, 2018, 7:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Keith,

I think he means the top of the head of the bolt rubbing against the fabric on the fuselage underneath it, not on the fabric of the horizontal stabiliser. I did wonder as well when I first got mine, as it seemed a prime spot for wearing through, but I had to take the tail off last year and found no indication of any wear at all. So I guess it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Keith103
August 9, 2018, 3:42am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
I have just reached the stage where kfb had a question as above. I was wondering whether I am doing something wrong, but my Max has no fabric at this location just below the horizontal stabilizer, so the head of the bolt that goes up into the vertical stabilizer has no fabric on the fuselage to rub into. I am not able to recall where exactly I read this, but the top flat surface on top of the last 2 stations in the fuselage ( right under the horizontal stabilizer ) is not to be covered, so you can easily access the cables and other hardware inside the tail section.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  bolts attaching horizontal stab. to vertical stab.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment