Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  aluminum 6061 or 2024 Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

aluminum 6061 or 2024  This thread currently has 840 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
Bob Daly
May 4, 2017, 2:52pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from FearTheH
Correct, but the fatigue strength of the 2024 was rated at 140MPa which is 44 MPa more than the 6061, which would still rate the 2024 as being higher, correct?  

Correct.  So the while the part made from 6061T6 would never fatigue, lasting essentially forever, the part made from 2024 would last longer than forever.

Private Message Reply: 30 - 34
radfordc
May 5, 2017, 3:03am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from Bob Daly

Correct.  So the while the part made from 6061T6 would never fatigue, lasting essentially forever, the part made from 2024 would last longer than forever.

The Airbike wing design is immensely strong.  I was talking with one of the guys at the TEAM factory (in Tennessee) about it.  He said that the Airbike had to go through static testing in Germany before the kit could be sold there. He said the wing was tested to 7.5 G successfully when the structure holding the wing failed....the wing was still intact.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 31 - 34
FearTheH
May 5, 2017, 4:31pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 8 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from radfordc

The Airbike wing design is immensely strong.  I was talking with one of the guys at the TEAM factory (in Tennessee) about it.  He said that the Airbike had to go through static testing in Germany before the kit could be sold there. He said the wing was tested to 7.5 G successfully when the structure holding the wing failed....the wing was still intact.

That's pretty impressive!  I like the airbikes, its a totally different feel and would love to fly one
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 32 - 34
Keith103
May 6, 2017, 5:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
A point was raised, whether having an extra 1/4 inch material around the bolts which hold the struts to the wing,  would help compensate the strength deficit in the material of the strut bracket.

My feeling is that this joint is held secure as long as the bolt-hole in the strut bracket remains intact and holds the bolt snug. Any deformation or elongation of the hole is indication of the beginning of a failure. If the hole has elongated, even very slightly, additional stress is caused by impact loads caused by buffeting of the wings. This buffeting will be barely perceptible, and certainly not large enough to visually draw attention. And further elongation of the bolt hole happens in geometric progression. So irrespective of the amount of safety material you keep around the hole, the impact loads will quickly gorge through all the safety margin. And since the load factor increases in geometric proportion, adding safety material will in fact yield diminishing returns.

I think of it like trying to hammer a nail into the wall in a tight space, where you have no place to move the hammer backwards away from the nail. Since impact load is zero you will not be able to drive the nail into the wall. This should be the state in which the strut bolt is held.

Even for those hangared Mini-Maxes, whose wings are not removed often, it may be a good idea to periodically remove the strut attaching bolts, inspect the strut brackets and bolt holes for wear. This should help detect failures early enough. I would probably inspect the strut attaching brackets after the first flight, then again after the initial flight test phase which may last a few hours, and thereafter every 100 hours or thereabout.
Private Message Reply: 33 - 34
dbaker
May 8, 2017, 5:29pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 54 minutes
Hi All
I am the person who raised the question about using 6061. Thanks for all the lively discussion.  I want you to know that the fear factor won.  I will be using 2024.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 34
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment