Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  First flight Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

First flight  This thread currently has 705 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
beragoobruce
November 7, 2016, 11:51am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 11 hours 2 minutes
The grass strip at my home airfield has at last been opened, after a wet winter.  The forecast for this morning was for calm weather early morning.

So yesterday I put some fresh fuel in both tanks, & did yet another full-on preflight.

I arrived at the airport early, & wheeled my plane out. I chocked the wheels, warmed up the engine, then ran it to full power. All good.

I did a couple of tailup taxi runs the length of the grass strip. Partly to check out the runway (bumpy), partly to test the composite spring (works well), & partly to see if I could still do it (much easier on grass).

Then I lined up for a fast taxi/crow hop. After a few yards I was going quite fast, & when I hit a small hillock, I let the plane take off. I flew for maybe 100 yards, at up to 3 feet altitude.  Then I slowly eased her back onto the grass. It went ok.

So I turned round at the other end, & tail up taxied back to 02.  Checked everything 8 more times. Lined up, gave it some gas, gritted my teeth, and took off.  : ))

I climbed at about 600 fpm, maybe 3/4 throttle, about 55 mph. The plane was very steady - much nicer to be in than all that lurching about on the ground!  At 1000' agl I turned crosswind, & kept climbing. I stayed in the circuit pattern the whole flight. At 3000' agl I tried a stall, but I must have had too much power on, because I got to a crazy angle of attack, down to 30mph ias, with no nose drop. So I levelled off, & did some turns, left & right, maybe 40 degrees of bank. Then I did some slips, left & right.

The plane was totally predictable, felt very smooth & steady, with tiny control inputs. The pitch trim is very sensitive, & the plane responds quickly to throttle inputs. The cht's & egt's were all below limits.

I tried a very gentle dive at 5500rpm (max 6000), and saw 80 mph on the ASI. It all felt good. The air was very calm, no clouds in a very blue sky. Wow!!

I did a couple of descending circuits, & came in for a touch & go. I had to slip it a bit to lose altitude. The view over the nose at 55 - 60 mph is excellent - no danger of not being able to see the runway. I held a steady descent, and held off to let the speed decay. But by the time I settled (ok, bounced) onto the ground, I was too close to the end of the runway, so I made it a full stop. I turned round, taxied back to 02, & did another circuit. I made it a bit bigger all round, but still had to slip to get to 600' on turn to final. It slips very controllably: no drama at all. There was a bit of low level turbulence on late final, but it was easily dealt with due to the very powerful ailerons.

I did a fair landing, about halfway along the strip. It was sort of a 2.5 pointer - neither 3 pointer nor wheeler. I think perhaps I stalled it about a foot too high. I don't really remember. Anyway, only a minor bounce that soon stopped. I was so excited about my flight that I lost concentration, & did quite a large swerve. Fortunately I managed to catch it before it ground looped, but it was a good reminder to keep flying until the engine is off.

I'd been flying for 40 minutes, so I decided to quit while I was ahead. I taxied back to the hangar, took the cowl off, & had a good look over the engine. I took 2 spark plugs out - they look a little rich to me, & my temps were all below limits, even in a long descent at small throttle opening. But I will leave the jets & needles as they are for the moment - better rich than lean.

I'm stoked to have finally flown my plane, after the long road from thinking about building, to doing it, then eventually getting to make my maiden flight. I am very impressed with how beautifully the Max flies: it is so controllable, & gives a great feeling of confidence.

I'll build on this first flight, & try some more stalls, steeper turns & slips, power off landings, etc. But for now I'm on the beer! A very happy bunny, me.

Bruce

I did all this alone, so no pix. But I hope to post some Go Pro stuff soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ironnerd
November 7, 2016, 12:33pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Congratulations!!!!
Always great to hear when someone gets a project off the ground!

Attachment: nixon_booyah_9619.jpg
Size: 9.04 KB

E-mail Reply: 1 - 20
texasbuzzard
November 7, 2016, 12:36pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Congrats Bert, long journey but you reached the end.

monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 20
bigbrixx1
November 7, 2016, 12:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 16 hours
Wow that's fantastic!!!! I read it three times. Absorbing every word! I look forward to future updates! Congrats!!!!

V-max. Finished. Now in phase one flight
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 20
Bill Metcalf
November 7, 2016, 3:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Welcome to the club Dude!
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 20
Dick Rake
November 7, 2016, 5:48pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Well done Bruce. Congratulations.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 20
Kaliche Kid
November 7, 2016, 6:14pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 39 minutes
High-five! I'll be referencing this again when it's my turn to kiss the sky.

Abraham
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 20
Keith103
November 7, 2016, 6:37pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Congrats.
Must be a great feeling of accomplishment !
Private Message Reply: 7 - 20
aeronut
November 7, 2016, 8:39pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
CONGRATULATIONS on your first flight. Was great to follow your posts during the build. The feeling of accomplishment will last a really long time. Now go out and fly when ever you wish and I hope each flight is better than the last one.     

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 20
Ricardo
November 7, 2016, 10:30pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Congratulations Bruce!
Being you an outstanding builder, I wouldn't expect anything wring on your maiden flight. We just miss that grin face after touch down. The party had just started!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 20
Sterling Silver
November 8, 2016, 12:27am Report to Moderator

Life is short, don't hunt trouble.
Ace
Time Online: 17 days 10 hours 6 minutes
Congratulations. Glad all went well.

Bert
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 20
beragoobruce
November 8, 2016, 10:57am Report to Moderator
Ace
Thanks to all for your kind words & congrats.

This forum was a major part of my decision to build a Max - so thanks to all for your help & encouragement over my build.

And good luck to all who are still building - I almost envy you the enjoyment you still have ahead of you (but I plan to have the fun part of flying now the build is done!)

Thanks again

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 20
lake_harley
November 8, 2016, 2:17pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 8 hours 20 minutes
Congrats on your first flight Bruce! Such careful construction and innovative ideas in your build that now I'll miss your updates. Wishing you many years of flying enjoyment.

Lynn  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 20
beragoobruce
November 9, 2016, 5:32am Report to Moderator
Ace
Thanks Lynn!

I went for a quick couple of circuits this morning, before the forecast thunderstorm arrived from the west (it did). My mate took a couple of videos of my flights. They're not very good, but at least give an idea of my little bird in her element.

My last landing was my best so far. I think I've been flying too fast before. for that one I managed to keep holding off much longer. Still a wheeler, though - just a slow one. It doesn't show in the vid very well.

https://youtu.be/it74hbo8hwQ
https://youtu.be/Ele8eeMETjQ
https://youtu.be/LjIFwnasJwQ
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 20
aeronut
November 9, 2016, 4:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
The airplane looks right at home in the air. Very interesting countryside . Thanks for posting.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 20
Arthur Withy
November 10, 2016, 9:48am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Bloody well DONE mate...absolutely fantastic

The country side looks great cos its Australia...!!!!...and I love it.

send me a photo of your elevator trim Bruce......is the material too thin making it sensative to airflow around "neutral" ...by adding 5 mm balsa to top and bottom of sheet trim...makes the airflow rough and predictable.....Its a Jodel trick....Delmontez was a smart guy

cheers and great wishes

Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 20
Arthur Withy
November 10, 2016, 9:48am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
great videos too
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 20
beragoobruce
November 12, 2016, 5:14am Report to Moderator
Ace
Thanks again, all.

I went for another 40 minutes yesterday, in the early evening, to dodge the day's thermals.  I carried out some successful stalls. As expected, these were very gentle nose drops, albeit with the right wing dropping a bit (prolly due to the propwash from the idling engine). The ias was 34 mph.

Timing from 1000" agl to 2000' showed 55 seconds, so a climb rate around 1100 fpm. I'll need to do a lot more timed trials to get a true average.

I tried a max level speed, & as near as I can say, it showed 85mph, though I think it might have still been accelerating. This figure agrees almost exactly with the theoretical speed from my 42" pitch prop at 6000 rpm on a 2.55:1 gearbox ratio.

These figures tell me a couple of things. Firstly, the propellor at 65" dia & 42" pitch is pretty much exactly matched to the engine & plane. I certainly have no complaints about takeoff roll, climb rate, or level speed.This is borne out by the CHT's being under 350, and the EGT's maxing out at 1150. Secondly, the ASI must be accurate. Next step is to go flying with my ipad to check groundspeed against ias.

My landing was a bit better, but I'm still trying for minimum speed touchdown.  The Max is a very responsive little plane, as all you longterm pilots know. This means that with precise inputs you can be very accurate in the flare. But if you're a bit heavy handed, it's also easy to get into Pilot Induced Oscillation - leading to a bouncy landing.

I'm just having such a ball now I'm finally flying. Yaay!

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 20
beragoobruce
November 27, 2016, 1:37am Report to Moderator
Ace
I'm playing around with a GoPro in the cockpit.  Attached is a cockpit view of me flying part of a circuit over my home strip.

I look like Mr Grumpy, but I'm enjoying it, honest!

Nothing much happens in this vid - it's just mid flight. You see the first 30 seconds, you seen it all. When I get it sorted I'll post some takeoff & landing vids, which might be marginally more exciting. Or not.

I'll also try an external mount in various positions.

https://youtu.be/FC1B7Qa5UOI
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 20
aeronut
November 27, 2016, 2:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks ' I enjoyed the flight.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 20
Kaliche Kid
November 28, 2016, 9:28pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 39 minutes
Excellent! Can't wait to get in the air myself. Great motivation.

Abraham
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 20
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment