Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Hi vs mid-1550 Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Hi vs mid wing?
High wing (22 votes)
59.46%
Mid wing (15 votes)
40.54%
37 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hi vs mid-1550  This thread currently has 3,056 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
streffpilot
October 12, 2016, 3:25pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 11 hours 14 minutes
So, I have a question for those of you building and flying. I am about to start the fuselage……And I am hitting the dilemma of building a Hi-Max or regular mid wing Mini-Max.

I am building the 1550 for the 4 cylinder VW. I know this could be made in either version……
Help me decide.
I love the looks of the mid wing. I would like the view from the Hi-Max. I am trying to reconcile the 2 thoughts….
Ready…..Set……Convince me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bob Hoskins
October 12, 2016, 4:23pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi
Built Himax and now own a Aeronca Chief. Like to be able to see the ground. Also helpful on landing. But agree, the Minimax with wing tips and pants looks cool. But practical speaking, like high wings better.
Just my thoughts.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 58
aeronut
October 12, 2016, 5:34pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Yup I agree. I built the mid-wing and wish I had the Himax. Especially now that I would like to put floats on the airplane.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 58
streffpilot
October 12, 2016, 5:44pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
What about drag reduction using the fiberglass gear that is available?

How much of a factor is this in reality?

For the Hi Max of course.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 58
bigbrixx1
October 12, 2016, 6:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 16 hours
Mmmm if I was starting my build now I would build the HiMax vs the midwing max, I now am building. Reason (1) many nice LG options (such as George's fiberglass option) since the wing struts attach to the fuselage (2) with LG options come many wheel and brake options (such as black max pneumatic brakes)  the one inch axel in midwing version really limit the choices. (3) gravity feed fuel tanks. With high wing version you can use vw mechanical fuel pump and I believe the high mounted wing tank would also gravity feed quite well as a buck up if primary pump fails. With midwing version I have to use electric backup pump. Access the midwing version is a bit of a bear to get into to. And I couldn't even imagine getting in while the engine is running! Just my 2 cents...... oh and I want to go on record as saying I really love my midwing max......but like I said if starting again I would build the HiMax....

V-max. Finished. Now in phase one flight
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 58
Tom
October 12, 2016, 6:14pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
After doing streamlined struts, the lower drag of the composite spring main landing gear would probably be the next big area for drag reduction.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 58
beragoobruce
October 12, 2016, 10:23pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
I went for the low wing because I just love the looks of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 58
bigbrixx1
October 12, 2016, 10:27pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from beragoobruce
I went for the low wing because I just love the looks of it.

Me too!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 58
streffpilot
October 13, 2016, 11:09am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
So.....I am seeing that the High wing is more practical for the view, but the mid wing just looks soooo coool.........

Any speed/handling/stability benefit of one over the other? hands off flying?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 58
Dick Rake
October 13, 2016, 11:51am Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
If I were to build again I would give more consideration to a Hi-max for the advantage of less chance of being trapped if you ever ended upside down in a crash.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 58
Kaliche Kid
October 13, 2016, 3:38pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 39 minutes
Hmmm?

High wing= downward visibility          Low wing= upward visibility
                  aids in landing                                 clear view during turns
                  provides shade                                looks cool while wearing shades  

I really see it as preference. Just build a bi-wing.  

Abraham
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 58
streffpilot
October 13, 2016, 6:44pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Ok, next question: how does one go about merging the two airframes? What is needed to do to the Hi-Max to make it a Hi-V?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 58
PUFF
October 13, 2016, 6:46pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I've only seen one problem with the Hi-max that I have that really would be hard to fix.....

Getting in and out. You must fold your legs to your chest one at a time for us long legged guys....

My advice is this:  get in and out of both just to see which one you'd like better....

Look at both of them: In Person....

If you're close to Middle Tennessee, I can show you a pair to give you an idea of what you'd want to build.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 58
PUFF
October 13, 2016, 6:49pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
As for your question of the VW engine, I'll ask this.....

Are your wings already built? As in if I'm right, the spar is beefed up for the added weight of the VMAX.

If you're just starting, I would talk to TEAM and ask, I'm pretty sure that it's possible, but your gear and Wing Spars and I think even the struts will need to be beefed up a bit. Of course not including the Firewall change if you've got a Rotax hanging on there already......
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 58
Arthur Withy
October 13, 2016, 11:20pm Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Every one of these points listed above are "compromises" as is every thing in aviation.

If you want to see down from My standard 1500R....I just roll to 90 degrees   NOT hard at all...and it can be fun, with lots of smiles and airspeed...LOL........ohh thats right a MINIMAX (and Himax) equals fun flying........MINI =cost....Max = FUN

As stated in another thread I fly a Minimax and also a High wing aircraft  ( Rans S6s)  Both aircraft have advantages and disadvantages...due to design lay outs.

also I see the Rans if flown in a tight circuit to have bad visibility in tight turns due to  I cover the sun roof above my head as the hot sun here in Australia,.....This has only been an issue where Im approaching busy traffic patterns at Fly ins...so gentle turns are good.

The minimax flown at 500 foot circuits....gives great visibility of all other aircraft.....except for fast approaching aircraft from the rear..!!! Yes I have that tee- shirt too.....grrrrr

so again its a personal decision.

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 58
Bill Metcalf
November 4, 2016, 6:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
Arthur makes some good points. I think the mid-wing is hands-down the most maneuverable and fun to fly, especially if you're a stick-and-rudder man - even more if your favorite thing is shooting landings. Then there's nothing like open cockpit flying. Either you dig it or you don't. My last flight a week ago had absolutely ideal conditions - the best day I've had all year. I couldn't have imagined being inside a cramped little cabin. That kind of experience is completely unique in my life and nothing else I do even approaches it. The closest thing would have been my motorcycling days. Then again, there are cold days when I think an enclosure would be dandy, but with today's cold wx gear, a good helmet, and a face shield, a 30 minute flight in an open cockpit Max is very do-able. Wakes you up for sure! Even when I'm going through a period where I haven't flown for some while, and I start to think what a pain in the butt this hobby is, and that it would be easy to live without it - I go out and get into that open cockpit. I usually drive back home with a smile on my face. Not many people get to experience life on the planet this way.

Practicality should be the last thing on this list, and won't be what you remember during your last moments. Be birds my friends. Be birds!
Site Private Message Reply: 15 - 58
ironnerd
November 4, 2016, 7:00pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Dang you, Bill!!

I was all set on a Hi-max for totally logical reasons, then you had to throw in the "Fun" factor of the Mini-max. The whole open cockpit issue does seem like a blast, and you could still have a full canopy for chilly days.
But that makes me wonder if a similar arrangement could be made for a Parasol-Max...

Double Dang you, Bill for making me think of something like that. It's going to take months to purge that from my imagination. Think of the napkins and sheets of graph paper that will be sacrificed to the Para-Max.

Hrmmm....
E-mail Reply: 16 - 58
stevejahr
November 4, 2016, 10:16pm Report to Moderator

Airbike plans examiner
Ace
Time Online: 4 days 11 hours 43 minutes
Oh bag it all: build an Airbike and get the open cockpit AND the high wing  

My own conundrum would be between the "build with wood" aspect of the Hi-max and the hoot of being able to just straddle the plane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 17 - 58
ironnerd
November 4, 2016, 11:06pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from stevejahr
Oh bag it all: build an Airbike and get the open cockpit AND the high wing  

My own conundrum would be between the "build with wood" aspect of the Hi-max and the hoot of being able to just straddle the plane.

It still gets chilly here in the Atlanta area, so I would prefer some kind of enclosure. Also, the though of taking a bird or bug up my pants leg kind of freaks me out.
E-mail Reply: 18 - 58
Antoni
November 5, 2016, 12:14am Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Voted Mid-wing.

Having got my licence flying flex-wing / weight-shifts I fancied the Minimax idea and phoned the TEAM main man in the UK in 1999. One thing he said really struck me.

Your chest is at the centre of proceedings!

I believe he was right, the whole plane seems to fly around the middle of your body and that's why the Minimax feels so natural.

I've flown a lot of types since then but not a Hi-max or Airbike (would very much like to), so this should be taken with a small pinch of salt, but I've liked Minimaxs enough to have bought three.

I don't understand why people make so much of how difficult it is to get in and out of a plane and how much it influences their choices. Provided it does not take more than half a minute or cause real pain who cares? You're going to be flying for the next hour! Build or buy what floats your boat so to speak!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 58
ironnerd
November 5, 2016, 12:30am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Antoni
I don't understand why people make so much of how difficult it is to get in and out of a plane and how much it influences their choices. Provided it does not take more than half a minute or cause real pain who cares? You're going to be flying for the next hour! Build or buy what floats your boat so to speak!

I like your frame of mind, and I completely agree!

E-mail Reply: 20 - 58
Bill Metcalf
November 5, 2016, 5:14am Report to Moderator

Ace
Many would be surprised at how much protection a Max cockpit gives from the elements. Most of the body is shielded. The head and the upper shoulders take the most of it. Note in the photo how I have extended the lower rear corners of the windscreen. It doesn't look like much, but those small extensions have a huge impact on the air stream. Without them the air curls vigorously AROUND the windscreen bow and slams into the body and head from both sides. The resulting buffeting and increased wind-chill factor will have you wanting to land much sooner than you expected. No matter the season.

I wear a helmet with a bubble shield in the winter, over a polyester hood with a face cut-out. A high quality ski coat keeps my upper body perfectly comfortable. I wear a quality set of long johns - top and bottom - usually under a pair of jeans, but I have also been known to pull a nylon ski shell (the outermost removable layer from a pair of old ski pants) over my jeans for extra wind protection. Gloves are important of course, and it can take some time to find a pair that provide warmth without bulk. The fingers, the ears, and any exposed face parts always seem to want to surrender first. Remember that whatever the current air temperature, you need to deduct a good twenty degrees from that to account for the windchill factor. I'm pretty reluctant to get out in anything under 35 degrees F. Too old now.

Of course, on a nice summer morning you can land, step out of the cockpit in your B2 leather jacket and headset/helmet combo, and not even feel like a nerd. This is the stuff REAL pilots have always worn in open cockpits. Yes boys, the guy who just got out of his Cessna 180, wearing one of those thin designer leather jackets he bought at his local department store, to feel and look like a pilot, will be feeling a bit silly as he glances over at the rugged individual who just climbed out of that stupid little ultralight after having a manly stick and rudder battle with the elements.

Attachment: maxcockpit_6258.jpg
Size: 137.08 KB

Site Private Message Reply: 21 - 58
beragoobruce
November 5, 2016, 12:07pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Well said, Bill!  

What a beautifully finished aeroplane. It looks superb.

I'll bear in mind your screen extensions.  

Now where's my old RAF flying suit. . .

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 58
Dick Rake
November 5, 2016, 12:39pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from Bill Metcalf

Of course, on a nice summer morning you can land, step out of the cockpit in your B2 leather jacket and headset/helmet combo, and not even feel like a nerd. This is the stuff REAL pilots have always worn in open cockpits. Yes boys, the guy who just got out of his Cessna 180, wearing one of those thin designer leather jackets he bought at his local department store, to feel and look like a pilot, will be feeling a bit silly as he glances over at the rugged individual who just climbed out of that stupid little ultralight after having a manly stick and rudder battle with the elements.

Bill……..Don't forget about the chicks that like to hang out with real stick and rudder men! See picture below

Attachment: minimax_babe_6604.jpg
Size: 101.44 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 58
viva_peru
November 5, 2016, 1:47pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 13 days 10 hours 8 minutes
Hmmmm.  I don't see any feet....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 58
bigbrixx1
November 5, 2016, 2:18pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Heyyyy!!!' What's my wife doing with your airplane😉!!!! Darn it I.....better get mine flying soon!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 58
Antoni
November 5, 2016, 3:40pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Looked at that picture for longer than I'm proud to admit to. Never saw the obvious missing legs. I wonder why that was...

Completely taken in!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 58
Bill Metcalf
November 5, 2016, 5:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Dick Rake

Bill……..Don't forget about the chicks that like to hang out with real stick and rudder men! See picture below

That flight suit of hers would be good for one trip around the pattern.

At least now we know why your name is RAKE!

You nasty, nasty, man.
Site Private Message Reply: 27 - 58
beragoobruce
November 5, 2016, 8:55pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Who needs feet with a body like that?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 58
bigbrixx1
November 5, 2016, 9:28pm Report to Moderator