Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Mini-Max Trailer. Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Mini-Max Trailer.   This thread currently has 1,228 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Seaplane Pirate
March 31, 2015, 12:17pm Report to Moderator

To master flight you must first seek to listen.
Flight Leader
Time Online: 21 hours
Hello all,

I am building a trailer for a Mini-max.  I have a steel frame that I am going to build a steel/ wood/ fiberglass enclosed box on.  First, has anyone done this? and secondly what are some lessons learned about the size that I need to consider.  I would rather do it once than find out I was 6" too short in some way.  I am thinking of 5 to 6 feet wide, and five to six feet tall, and 16 feet long overall.  I may have the main box 14' long with a smaller section in the front two feet..     if I put the wings on the sides of the fuselage that would seem to indicate making it six feet wide and five feet tall.  I could go as wide as 6.5' I suppose but id rather not.  That is the configuration I am leaning toward, with perhaps 5' tall.  It would seem to keep the CG a little lower.   I am planning on making a box alteration in the rear for the horizontal stab/elevator since I know that is 90" wide.

Thank you for any input, I have to get it done by 4/20 so I thought it best to ask for insight... any pictures of what you all have are most welcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
RedBird
March 31, 2015, 2:54pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Make sure your tail feathers will fit.   I have used several off the shelf trailers for hauling planes that have openings that are a couple inches too narrow. Fortunately the max is light and short enough that wiggling in is an option... Try it with dang KR2S and stub wings and you'll be scarred for life

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 39
pkoszegi
March 31, 2015, 3:20pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 41 days 7 hours 42 minutes
Wyoguy (Dennis) and Bob Hoskins did one a few months ago. Send some PM to them I a sure they will help you.  Also there was a couple of topic, it make sense to search for it back 360 days or so.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 39
Wyoguy
April 1, 2015, 3:36am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 49 minutes
Bob already had a 16' flat bed trailer with 14" side rails.  He had put 2 x 12s around the three sides on top of the rails.  Then he built a truss system to hold the wings on top of the 2 x 12's.  He also tapered that back about a foot or so wider for the tail.  When I went to pick up the Max, I did not want to trailer it home 1200 miles in the open.  So, I bought some outdoor 3/8" plywood and we went to work covering the trailer.  We also had to add supports to the outside of the 2 x 12's to firm it up.  When we (Bob, my wife, and several of his friends) finished and had the back on, it was solid!  My wife dubbed it the "Ark".  It was not very aerodynamic, but it got the job done!  I will try to find some pictures and post them.

Dennis
Private Message Reply: 3 - 39
Wyoguy
April 1, 2015, 3:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Here is what Bob already had built.  

Attachment: dsc07429_medium_3524.jpg
Size: 94.79 KB

Private Message Reply: 4 - 39
Wyoguy
April 1, 2015, 3:56am Report to Moderator

Ace
Loaded up

Attachment: mini_in_ark_800x450_8923.jpg
Size: 227.35 KB

Private Message Reply: 5 - 39
Wyoguy
April 1, 2015, 3:57am Report to Moderator

Ace
Back home

Attachment: back_in_wy_800x450_6473.jpg
Size: 322.18 KB

Private Message Reply: 6 - 39
BLTFreedom
April 2, 2015, 4:25am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 24 days 7 hours 55 minutes
Wow, I like that trailer. The wings look nice and secure like that. I always worry about the wings getting beat. I'm currently looking for a 16' trailer myself to turn into an airplane carrier. Thanks for sharing!

Bret

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 39
PUFF
April 2, 2015, 11:40am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
old single axle boat trailer worked for me.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 39
PUFF
April 2, 2015, 11:41am Report to Moderator

Ace
and mine was an open trailer as well...... Just kept the bird somewhere and when I got ready to go to the airfield, I'd put it about the trailer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 39
Seaplane Pirate
April 2, 2015, 12:08pm Report to Moderator

To master flight you must first seek to listen.
Flight Leader
Time Online: 21 hours
Thank you for the responses, great photos..  we are starting with a boat trailer frame, and building the box to suit.  right now we are looking at 6.5' wide 6' tall and 16 feet long with a taper/wind break in the front.  I am planning on adding small side boxes in the back for the tail once I get that far.  its funny the interior structure I drew out looks much like that photo but I would not have thought to do the wing braces that way, I really like that.  

I will try to post some pictures here as we get along, I am going to try to get most of it done this weekend.

- Marshall.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 39
bobnafe
April 2, 2015, 10:56pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 17 days 7 hours 38 minutes
Marshall
Built my trailer, single axle flat utility trailer, from lcl building material.  Will do 60 mph on the hwy no problem. Can get the basic plan for you.  But the picture will suggest it works.
BobN

Attachment: dscn2812_8302.jpg
Size: 53.43 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 39
beragoobruce
April 3, 2015, 2:23am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Some great trailers here. I'm going to need one when I eventually get to the end of my build, so it's useful to see how others have done it.

Does anyone regularly (as in every flight, or nearly as often) trailer to an airfield to fly? Or derig for storage for every flight?

Just wondering what issues frequent rig/derig raises.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 39
Wyoguy
April 3, 2015, 3:26am Report to Moderator

Ace
Bob, very nice trailer!  I like your back door/loading ramp too!  I looked up LCL building material on Google, and got shipping containers?  I don't think that is what you described, although it appears to have metal sides?  What is LCL building material?  It looks like much longer than 16' as well.  

Since mine is all wood, there is the problem of how to protect it.....I need it out of my barn!  Paint won't last.  Stain?  Flat sheets of Al is the best I can come up with.  Especially since it has to be able to go over the splice about 4' up.  I am looking for suggestions.  

Dennis
Private Message Reply: 13 - 39
stevejahr
April 3, 2015, 4:27pm Report to Moderator

Airbike plans examiner
Ace
Time Online: 4 days 11 hours 43 minutes
Here is an information resource for trailers of the build it yourself variety: http://www.tnttt.com/

True these are not going to hold a Max but I think you will find some ideas how to protect those wood sides (many of the Teardrop trailers are homebuilt and use simple plywood sheeting).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 14 - 39
bobnafe
April 4, 2015, 1:21am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Dennis,  I used a flat bed utility trailer added a 2X8 metal box frame extension to aft end side metal box frames for the tail.  All bolted on. Secured plywood flooring.  2" "L" angle bolted to the frame.  That supports the metal studs (home wall studs) and metal roofing material for the side walls,pop riveted in place.  Again, metal stud frame for the roof and wood rafters to tie in the corrigated roofing material. The beefed up the lower 2/3's for ramp/tailgate.  Upper 1/3 light and vented. Travels well down the hwy and have taken it over 700 miles oneway of interstate driving.
I also assemble prior to each flight by myself.  It takes about 20 min to take it out, same to put it away.  You will get some hangar rash over the years.  Time a person that has a hangared aircraft doing the same.  Timing is about the same.
BobN

Attachment: dscn2169_2311.jpg
Size: 95.79 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 39
beragoobruce
April 4, 2015, 2:40am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Useful post, Bob - thanks. That trailer looks excellent.  And you don't even seem to be sweating pulling your Max up the ramp!

I know what you mean about hangar time being about the same. Even if you leave your plane at the front when you put it to bed, next time it still seems to need  at least 3 other planes moved around to get it out.

The same with hangar rash versus trailer rash. At least you know the trailer rash will be self-inflicted, unlike the usual hangar variety.

Also good to know you can & do rig by yourself. Of course it's preferable not to derig every flight, but not everyone has the means or availability of a hangar. I've been musing over ways to rig by myself, & am looking forward to trying them out. Eventually. And we all used to quite happily spend in excess of half an hour or 45 minutes rigging the Pterodactyl, Quicksilver, Eagle or whatever, back in the day. . .

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 39
Wyoguy
April 4, 2015, 2:45pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Bob, great pic.  Your trailer looks professionally built!  Very nice.  Much lighter than mine for sure.  I am planning that I will not have a reason to assemble and disassemble mine, but it is encouraging to know that there is a one person method of doing this.  Could you elaborate?  For an old guy, carrying the wings in an out of the trailer would be enough exercise for the day  

Dennis
Private Message Reply: 17 - 39
Ricardo
April 5, 2015, 5:58am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Open design

Attachment: randy_lewis_only_short_distance_8826.jpg
Size: 81.42 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 39
bobnafe
April 8, 2015, 12:31pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Dennis,  Old man, 70+ assembles and disassembles for each flight.  I believe if I don't, I should NOT be flying any-way.
Wings weight about 28 lbs.  With a rope handle attached to fwd strut, for carrying makes it quit easy, even to carry it up the ramp. The home made PVC horses, that fold away, level the plane and hold the wing during assembly and disassembly.  
Just as a note there are days I would like to fly but to lazy to assemble.  Also, the locked mobil hangar keep unwanted hands off.
BobN

Attachment: dscn2165_3284.jpg
Size: 109.33 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 39
Bob Daly
April 8, 2015, 3:02pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Quoted Text
With a rope handle attached to fwd strut, for carrying makes it quit easy

I'd like to see this or get a more complete explanation.  Gonna copy your pvc wing stands too.
Private Message Reply: 20 - 39
aeronut
April 8, 2015, 3:28pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Very neat! I like it muchly.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 39
pkoszegi
April 8, 2015, 3:58pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 41 days 7 hours 42 minutes
I am very interested in ideas how to put a max together ALONE.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 39
lake_harley
April 8, 2015, 5:49pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from bobnafe

Wings weight about 28 lbs.  

Wow...28# wings, that's light! That includes the ailerons? I built the 1030 wings and came up with about 32 or 33#. Now, granted, that was a rather un-scientific weighing process, with me on the bathroom scale with and without the wings and then the ailerons, and then subtracting to get the wing/aileron weight. So, lot's of room for errors I suppose.

Those PVC wing supports look quite interesting, lightweight and easy to use. Let's see, I think I have some 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe and fittings around here somewhere..........

Lynn  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 39
bobnafe
April 8, 2015, 7:15pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Bob Daly, Lynn
The attached photo is a sample, 5 min to make.  Rope, 5" of PVC pipe a couple of knots.  Loop rope around the fwd strut near the wing attach fitting, hold on the T/E of aileron or aft strut near attach fitting.  Simple.  Stand and carry the wing into the trailer. Place in the rug lined PVC cradle.  Attached lifting straps and hook in place, washrag under strap lever for storage.  There is carpet between the wing and side wall of the trailer. I have had no problems or damage in transporting the wings in this manner.
PVC horses are not glued at the bottom "T".  This is so I can pivot them for storage in the front of the trailer. Tied down of course. The wing horse has a reducer in the "L" that goes vertical and has holes drilled ever inch a 1/4 pin, one hole thru the outer tube to be able to adjust the vertical height of the horse.
BobN

REMOVE ROPE HANDLE BEFORE FLIGHT.

Attachment: mmwinghandle_6513.jpg
Size: 97.02 KB

Attachment: mmwing_3669.jpg
Size: 50.52 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 39
RedBird
April 9, 2015, 1:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Bob: This is a super inspirational set of posts about assembly every flight. I have been keeping N669TC in trailer since I acquired her, because I have no place to store her assembled. I have often wondered if there might be a method to make every flight assembly realistic. Will need to modify a couple things regarding quick releases for fuel, lights, etc on Eros; but Bob, you have my mind whirling. Thank you.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 39
Bob Daly
April 9, 2015, 2:43pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Thanks, Bob.  That sure is worth a try!  I'm sure I have the rope and tubing lying around.  I'd be embarrassed to show the contraption I concocted.
Private Message Reply: 26 - 39
Wyoguy
April 12, 2015, 4:18am Report to Moderator

Ace
Bob, I like all your "accessories"!  Great ideas to make things a little easier!  Having just reattached the wings to my HiMax, it was a 2 man job for this first time anyway.  And, the difficult part was getting myself oriented inside the plane to insert the bolts.  The loss of my youthful, athletic fizz-a-Q seems to be a disadvantage!  And, I hope you realized the "old guy" I was referring to was me!  LOL!  Thanks for all the photos!  It seems that some things are so obvious.....once we see how someone else did it!

Dennis
Private Message Reply: 27 - 39
Ricardo
April 14, 2015, 1:42pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Here's another idea for a wing support.
The horizontal bar is connected to the vertical by a hinge so it always adjusts to the wing angle.

Attachment: wing_support_882.jpg
Size: 337.50 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 39
PUFF
April 15, 2015, 12:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Now that's a fine looking one!  I'm thinking if the 2 type can be married together, then you'd have something.....
Folding Sawhorse, hinged top angle horizontal......
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 39
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment