Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Rib-O-Mattic Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

Rib-O-Mattic  This thread currently has 27,247 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
peter
September 29, 2013, 10:35pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 46 minutes
Here is my new Rib-o-mattic.  I wanted a rib jig that allowed me to clamp the gussets without having to use staples.  Also wanted to make sure the rib didn't get stuck to the jig.  I also wanted to strengthen the back of the rib where the wing meets the aileron.

to do this I made one gusset that would go from top to bottom of the back of the wing.  it also has a curved part on the back so that when I build the wing and want to enclose the back of it with 1/16 ply I will be able to glue it to the curve.

because there is a double thickness of cap strip at the back of the wing I had to make those small cap strips and the special gusset in a separate jig then use that in the Rib-o-mattic.

Attachment: gedc0348_4547.jpg
Size: 130.08 KB

Attachment: gedc0349_4721.jpg
Size: 139.38 KB

Attachment: gedc0350_864.jpg
Size: 138.33 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
peter
September 29, 2013, 10:41pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
and here are a few more pics

Attachment: gedc0352_3599.jpg
Size: 135.97 KB

Attachment: gedc0346_9253.jpg
Size: 148.65 KB

Attachment: gedc0353_6121.jpg
Size: 139.20 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 23
skydragon,
September 29, 2013, 10:52pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 16 hours 26 minutes
great idea keep up the good work
skydragon,
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 23
Cy V
September 29, 2013, 11:48pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 14 days 16 hours 24 minutes
Brilliant! Love it!

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 23
Phil
September 30, 2013, 12:51am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 9 minutes
Peter, Kindly post this at sticky ETLB Tip of the day. Neat and extraordinary idea.
Keep up the good work!!
Regards,
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 23
vantagepointmarkers
September 30, 2013, 5:05am Report to Moderator
Building a Hi-Max 1700R!
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 5 days 2 hours 22 minutes
you wouldn't happen to have a CAD drawing that we could take to get blown up to proportional sizes? i still have 10 ribs to go!
cheers.
Eric.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 23
andycart
September 30, 2013, 5:55am Report to Moderator
I'd rather be flying ...
Wing Man
Time Online: 2 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Fantastic idea. If you have a .dxf of that I could take to a cnc machine I would be very grateful. I've finished my ribs on the current build but intend to build at least 1 more max before I'm done  

Andy
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 23
peter
September 30, 2013, 12:33pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thanks for all the kind words.  Sorry but no dxf files.  I made it the old school way.  I just used the rib drawing from the plan and transferred that to a piece of 3/4 ply. then cut out the places the cap strip was supposed to be with a 5/16 bit.  Then removed the parts where I would need to clamp.  I've just made two ribs with it so far but it seems to work well.  The second rib only took 10 to 15 min.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 23
JonF
September 30, 2013, 3:16pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 7 days 16 hours 10 minutes
I've been watching Peter's progress with no small amount of envy, a truly revolutionary rib jig.  Great work Peter!  Good job posting thos pics too.  

Andy you never want to switch jigs half way through your project, just keep rocking and rolling with the one you have.

I know my next plane will have the ribs built in one like Peter's

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 23
Cy V
September 30, 2013, 3:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 14 days 16 hours 24 minutes
I have one small concern (or question). I know those clamps have quite a bit of clamping power in them. Aren't you worried about starving the joins of epoxy by squeezing a lot of it out?

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 23
JonF
September 30, 2013, 4:49pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I've been using clothespins on the back side gussets for my ribs.  They do squeeze out a little but the ribs seem very strong and I destroyed one just to be sure and the wood broke, not the glue.  

Not sure about those big spring clamps, they do exert more pressure than clothespins.

I've seen folks use those clamps on fuselage construction etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 23
dalek56
September 30, 2013, 5:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 16 days 23 hours 53 minutes
when i was reparing the damage to my elevator..the A&P i took it to told me to get those exact clamps. he has built a lot of planes and it currently working on a full sized spitfire made completely from wood.  so i would venture you are ok using those.

You don't need to know anything about flying inorder to pilot a plane.  You do need to know something about flying fly inorder to pilot a plane twice!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 23
Bob Hoskins
September 30, 2013, 5:14pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi Peter;
All I can say is, outstanding work! Keep posting pictures.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 23
Jerik
October 1, 2013, 5:32am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 21 hours 11 minutes
This looks like THE way to make ribs.

I think I might order a prebuilt rib, then use it to precisely emulate your rib o matic.

I would slap a TM logo on that thing asap before the team gets wind  

Hell I'd buy one. 10-15 minute build time sounds alright to me!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 23
dalek56
October 1, 2013, 7:02pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 16 days 23 hours 53 minutes
or go in cahoots with team and sell the jigs through them....might be a way to fund your max that way.

You don't need to know anything about flying inorder to pilot a plane.  You do need to know something about flying fly inorder to pilot a plane twice!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 23
JonF
October 1, 2013, 8:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Brilliant idea!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 23
peter
October 1, 2013, 8:46pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
You guys are too kind,  Seriously though If Dave wanted to make them and sell them it would be fine with me.  I would be happy to contribute something to the cause.  I do think it handles a number of issues that makes making ribs easier.  Since it is just made of 3/4 ply and could be cut on a cnc machine, I could see dave just having a bunch cut and selling them on his website or including them with kits. (I wonder if he is listening)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 23
theecoop
October 2, 2013, 6:03pm Report to Moderator

Flying
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 5 hours 17 minutes
Oh I think he does,lol

Perfect Practice makes perfect!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 17 - 23
Tom
October 3, 2013, 1:33am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
I would buy a CNC cut rib jig like the Rib-O-Matic as soon as Team started selling them.  The ability to clamp everything in place on both sides in one pass is a huge time saver.  It is also much less messy to work with than the standard jig.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 23
theecoop
October 3, 2013, 12:42pm Report to Moderator

Flying
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 5 hours 17 minutes
Peter, First off thanks for the permission to use the Rib-O-Matic idea. We will work on cost and labor time to see What we could sell them for or include in a rib kit , or complete kit.  We would probably make a couple minor changes. Add a logo, Change material to Acrylic.

On another note: I see you did not cut the optional triangle edge off your gussets, You save more weight in the finish build than you may realize.

Thanks again.
David Cooper
AKA: theecoop

Perfect Practice makes perfect!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 19 - 23
peter
October 3, 2013, 3:45pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Hey Dave,  

No Problem. Acrylic would be nice because glue doesn't stick but that is why I removed the places where glue does stick.  Also acrylic is so expensive, but I'm sure you will work all that out.  As with any new device they always need a thorough trial run.  I realized after the second rib that I had to set the distance that the sticks come out the back.  But I just wrote some notes on the jig now that issue is fixed.

I also am wondering how well just staples would hold.  Since I can get to both sides I think I'm going to try gluing up a rib with staples then just taking it out to dry.  I suppose as long as the staples hold I'd be good, then I wouldn't have to wait a day in between each rib.

Another thing I noticed is that because the jig holds the  pieces so accurately I took 24 cap strips and stacked them as a pile of 4x6 together, then put a zip tie on one end.  then I just measured and gang cut all the sticks for all the ribs at once. I think that saved a lot of time and adds to the accuracy because every part is the same for each one.

I'm sure your right about gussets. I'm going to make some rib's today.  I'll cut the extra material off the gussets for one rib and weigh them.  be interesting to see how much it is.

Peter
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 23
JonF
October 3, 2013, 5:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I like the jig made of wood.  It would be cool to brand the minimax logo in with a hot iron, wild west style.  Thanks Peter for being so selfless and contributing to the community like this.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 23
Tom
October 3, 2013, 5:26pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Dear Mr. Cooper,

Acrylic would be nice and stable and would CNC cut well.  I'm not too worried about the material, though.  CNC cut, the labor should be low enough so that you could make a really good profit and still have the price not be something that people would hesitate over.  I'd vote for selling them both separately and with the kits.  There's always going to be people who are just sure that scratch building will be cheaper, though I sure don't see it.  I'll by the kit everytime.  But I do know the Rib-O-Matic would save a LOT of time and time is the scarce resource for so many of us.  This has got to be a good thing to do.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 23
JonF
October 3, 2013, 5:35pm Report to Moderator

Ace
So far I've found scratch building to be more expensive.  Hard to beat the kits in most cases.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 23
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment