Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Parasol Max pictures Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Parasol Max pictures  This thread currently has 1,090 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Bob Daly
September 1, 2011, 2:34am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
A couple of pics:

Attachment: paramax_9552.jpg
Size: 92.46 KB

Attachment: paramax2_2282.jpg
Size: 139.79 KB

Private Message
thunder669
September 1, 2011, 2:51am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 22 hours 9 minutes
looks good, can't wait to hear how she flies

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 1 - 27
BlueMax
September 1, 2011, 6:07am Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
WOW bob I love the look of that little plane, cant wait for a flight report.

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 27
Phil
September 1, 2011, 7:38am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 23 minutes
Loved that breezy design you've got Bob.
Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 27
erkki67
September 2, 2011, 6:12am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 55 days 21 hours 4 minutes
This is what JDT could work on, a good looking variant of the minimax, a p-max (parasolmax)
Congrats for your bird ))))

Erkki
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 27
radfordc
September 2, 2011, 1:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Looks nice.  I see you have two bracing wires going from the aft fuselage to the top of the cabane.  On an Airbike these wires go from the fuselage to the top of the rear wing struts.  This prevents any twisting of the wings in relationship to the fuselage.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 27
Bob Daly
September 2, 2011, 5:38pm Report to Moderator
Ace
The brace wires are drag wires (anti-anti-drag?).  I calculated a chordwise force of 600 lbs acting forward at point A of the flight envelope.  The cabane structure has to react this force.  The canted struts could take it in compression, loading the vertical struts similarly in tension.  I'm unsure of the strut attachment's ability to take the compression loads although I did test a sample to 500 lbs in tension without signs of failure.  The brace wires were simple to add and calculate the loads.  They also relieve some of the fuselage truss loads imposed by the tail down force at point A.  

At the moment, the asymetric loads you mention are resisted entirely by the vertical cabane strut pairs, the maximum load is in the front struts, 554 lbs.  The Airbike cabanes can't resist these loads very well.  The triangle formed by the struts is very acute and the struts are subjected to bending.  My struts form more nearly an equilateral triangle.  I suppose relocating the wires from the cabane out to the wing rear strut attachment would kill two birds with one stone. I'll give it some thought.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 27
Ricardo
September 2, 2011, 7:24pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Congratulations! Nice job and of course ... One of a Kind  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 27
scrib
September 3, 2011, 1:08am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Nice looking plane!!
E-mail Reply: 8 - 27
RedBird
September 8, 2011, 6:54pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Really love the looks of your parasol max! I hope to get back to my conversion soon. Job and location change this summer has everything on hold yet again. But your photos are inspiring! Great job! Can't wait to hear how it flies!

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 27
BlueMax
November 18, 2020, 6:02pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Bob,

I was just doing some research on your parasol max, did you ever get to fly her?

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 27
Bob Daly
November 18, 2020, 9:08pm Report to Moderator
Ace
I was hoping to get her to the airport this year but had a health issue in August.  Since these photos were taken a w/b showed tail heavy with half fuel or less so I moved the engine forward on two u-channel rails. I also attempted to analyze the structure, after the fact, to confirm it was airworthy.  That resulted in a better anchoring of the cabane brace wires, some cleats around the cabane strut attachments and corner bracing of the fuselage at what was the front spar carry-through station. The engine was overhauled this year and I've been breaking it in.  I'm waiting on some coarser pitch blocks from Hoverhawk for the ultra prop. The Tennessee prop in the pictures isn't enough load for wot. I had been working on a glider rating but covid has shut that down. I feel confident that with a couple of hours of taxiing I will fly her next year.  The airport nearest me, beside class C Albany, has a hangar waiting but it shuts down November-May because it's turf and the owner doesn't plow it, not that I'd fly off ice and snow anyway.
Private Message Reply: 11 - 27
ITman496
November 18, 2020, 11:27pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Did this max used to be a standard one?  I can see the holes in the sides where it looks like the wings used to go?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 27
PUFF
November 19, 2020, 12:31pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
my guess it was a minimax at some point. Looks like a fabulous Idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 27
Bob Daly
November 19, 2020, 4:36pm Report to Moderator
Ace
It was a standard 1100R with the "heavy tail".
Private Message Reply: 14 - 27
BlueMax
November 19, 2020, 7:59pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for the update Bob! she sure looks nice!

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 27
ITman496
November 20, 2020, 1:42am Report to Moderator

Ace
Wait, so is there a kit I can buy to just... make my max into a himax? How hard was it to convert?  Your plane is incredible!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 27
PUFF
November 20, 2020, 12:28pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Yes, there are plans to do just that. Contact Team. I think they may even be on the website.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 27
ITman496
November 21, 2020, 2:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
I remember seeing their plans but they seemed to be more meant to be done while the plane was being built.  I've never seen one like Bob's.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 27
Bob Daly
November 21, 2020, 4:34pm Report to Moderator
Ace
The cabane structure is my own design.  It eliminates the center section on the Himax so I lost some span.  I'll have a higher wing loading and stall speed.  It could be lighter. The root tube interrupting the top surface of the wing is embarrassing and unnecessary.
Private Message Reply: 19 - 27
ITman496
November 21, 2020, 5:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Oh interesting..  Well, if you ever open up your plans or sell a kit, count me as interested!  You did fine work.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 27
erkki67
November 23, 2020, 3:05am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 55 days 21 hours 4 minutes
How do you get in and out of your bird?

Would adding a bay on each side help to regain the initial stallspeed?

Or would it be enough just to cover up the center section for flight?

Rgds from Switzerland

Erkki
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 27
Bob Daly
November 23, 2020, 6:01pm Report to Moderator
Ace
The upper longeron is just low enough and I am just flexible enough to get a foot over it.  Then I pull my butt onto the longeron by the cabane tubes.  It isn't easy.  A step stool would help.  I haven't had the wings on long enough to experiment.  I intend to make a fairing  that wraps around the wing junction and seals the top of the wing as much as possible. My wing area is 107 ft² and my takeoff weight should be about 440 lbs.  Then stall speed should be about 32 mph.
Private Message Reply: 22 - 27
flydog
November 23, 2020, 11:44pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Maybe you know it,  but definitely put the fairing on. Dont know where I read it, or the details of it, but someone tried flying without it on an Airbike and I guess it was a sketchy flight.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 27
BlueMax
November 30, 2020, 4:31pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Flydog,
That was AirbikeAce, he had his skylight blow out of his fairing in flight. He had to take his shirt off and stuff it in the hole to seal it because he couldnt maintain altitude with a hole between the wings.

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 27
fiebichpv
November 30, 2020, 8:39pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
That's right Chris. Losing the little bit of lift the skylight/fairing provides is vastly destroyed by the air rushing up through that space and "spilling" lengthwise over a portion of the wing. It was a frightening experience and as Chris said, I poked my long sleeve shirt up into the skylight hole to plug it. That saved me from a forced landing. When I did land at an airport, I noticed that one of the long sleeves from my shirt was sticking out past the hole. To someone on the ground it must have looked like I was waving through the wing!

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 25 - 27
ITman496
December 1, 2020, 2:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
How big is the hole created when the skylight fails?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 27
Bob Daly
December 1, 2020, 4:40pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Paul, does your wing fairing wrap completely around or is it primarily just the upper surface?  I intend to wrap about 80% including the entire flat bottom portion ahead of the ailerons.  I read your account of the inflight emergency, how much of the initial problem would you say was due to the drag and spoiler effect of the protruding window? How much due to the pressure losses? Thanks.
Private Message Reply: 27 - 27
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment