Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  National Biplane Fly-In
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

National Biplane Fly-In  This thread currently has 3,339 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
June 6, 2010, 7:11pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
National Biplane Fly-In (3JC)

Airplanes were intended to transport people---fast.  Or at least faster than the horse & wagon, cars, trains and boats.  Most of our little TEAM planes do that quite well even though we are often passed by cars on the freeway and trains out on the open prairie.  On this past weekend's flight to Junction City, Kansas (3JC) where the National Biplane Fly-In was held, my draggy little AirBike set a new speed record.  And It wasn't even at full throttle.  But I am getting ahead of myself.

For the past 23 years this biplane event has been held in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.  For 2010 it was moved to Freeman Field in Junction City, Kansas.  In addition to the concrete runway, two intersecting grass runways make this an ideal airfield for taildraggers and small planes.  It is only 110 miles from the Selby Aerodrome, about the same distance as Bartlesville, only in the opposite direction.

The 7-day forecast predicted 5-10 mph southerly winds and sunny skies.  Just what I needed.  As departure day approached the wind speed was predicted to be 10-20 mph with gusts to 25, but still out of the south.  Departing Selby's runway 17, I made a huge U-turn around Derby then headed north anticipating the wind to help me along.  Just north of Wichita I turned on the GPS and it said 57 minutes to destination.  Oh damn, I thought, something must be wrong.  it is 110 miles and close to a 2 hour flight!

Then I looked at the groundspeed---90 mph!  Climbing out of the turbulence at 1000' AGL once past the McConnell AFB Restricted Area, things smoothed out---and speeded up at 2500' AGL!  Never changing the cruise throttle setting of 5800 RPM, my speed reached 111 MPH at which time I took a photo of the GPS.  Later, looking at the GPS log, I noticed a maximum speed of 113 MPH.  Fantastic!

I was elated with this speed (I thought my nose might bleed but it didn't) and arrived in Junction City early enough to get one of the premium parking spots.  As is the case at these events, we admire airplanes, talk to their owners, make arrangements to meet old friends and by chance, encounter others who appreciate old planes.  I even phoned a few of my friends to let them know what a fantastic event this was.  

Throughout the day I remained by my plane answering questions, providing smart alec responses characteristic of my brand of humor and letting kids sit in the cockpit and manipulate the controls.  While there, I provided some "flight instruction" on how the controls worked, what the instruments did and let them play pilot for a few minutes.  Their appreciative parents took photos and thanked me for the experience their kids, grandkids just had.  I felt I had made a contribution to their day.

By 5:30 PM the field had pretty well cleared out.  A call to Flight Service provided encouraging wind speed and direction and I filed a flight plan for the trip home.  An hour and a half later, deciding I was hungry, I aborted my original plan and landed at Stearman Field (1K1) to have supper at the Stearman Inn.  I had written about this airport restaurant previously ("Saturday's Hangar Rash" further down in this section).  

A band played in the outside pavilion, the patio and restaurant were nearly at capacity and everyone was having a good time.  After a leisurely meal it was time to go. I hated to leave but still had 25 miles ahead of me and about 45 minutes of civil daylight remaining.

A little over 12 hours since leaving, I returned to the Selby Aerodrome.  After post-flighting the plane, and refueling, I pushed my fantastic travel machine back into its parking space next to two other small planes which looked enviously at my plane.  They had spent the day in the hangar.  You know the look, it is the same one your dog gives you when you don't have time to take her for a walk.

AirBike Ace.

Knut, there were no  Huns visible on this trip, they couldn't have caught me anyway.  And Bill, eat your heart our for our having to land and walk on grass.

The photos are quite self-explanatory, however a couple deserve comment:

Longren Replica---A.K. Longren was the first person to build and fly an airplane in Kansas.  It was around 1911.  He subsequently built about eight planes, this is a replica of one constructed around the mid-20's.  It carries his latest innovation, a monocock fuselage.  No bulkheads or stringers, the skin is the structure.  Sort of like a lobster's shell.  Read more about Longren at this link: http://www.kshs.org/cool2/biplane.htm

Paul Smiling---You will never see me with a sad face when flying
The following photos and others are on the next post.
RV Military---A  neat paint scheme intended to replicate the JPATS trainer produced by Hawker-Beech aircraft company

Stearman & Airbike
---A fine place to eat, good food, aviation memorabilia on display and right on the airport.

Attachment: airbike_on_display_etlb_3490.jpg
Size: 44.37 KB

Attachment: biplane_flightline_etlb_8518.jpg
Size: 28.84 KB

Attachment: gps_111_mph_etlb_6331.jpg
Size: 46.74 KB

Attachment: longren_replica_etlb_2427.jpg
Size: 39.96 KB

Attachment: paulsmiling_in_flight_1_etlb_494.jpg
Size: 35.87 KB

Attachment: ripening_wheat_patchwork_over_cowl_etlb_7655.jpg
Size: 25.90 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
fiebichpv
June 6, 2010, 7:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Here are a couple more photos

Airbike Ace

Attachment: mitch_harrisons_christen_eagle_etlb_160.jpg
Size: 44.96 KB

Attachment: rv_military_paint_etlb_724.jpg
Size: 36.67 KB

Attachment: stearman_inn__airbike_etlb_1796.jpg
Size: 45.54 KB

Attachment: sunset_rays_etlb_773.jpg
Size: 18.43 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 12
Bob Hoskins
June 6, 2010, 8:23pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey Paul.
Thanks for the great story. You help keep a bunch of us inspired to be sure.
Thanks, Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 12
Knut A
June 6, 2010, 11:32pm Report to Moderator

LN-YJE
Ace
Time Online: 21 days 16 hours 8 minutes
Thanks for sharing Paul. Reading your stories is almost like participation.
Knut A
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 12
Ricardo
June 7, 2010, 12:46am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours
"....I pushed my fantastic travel machine ...."

Well, that says it all.

Thanks for sharing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 12
radfordc
June 7, 2010, 2:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Paul, I wasn't able to fly on Saturday because of other priorities, but today made up for it.

http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/radfordc/Sonex/?action=view&current=Rol\
lin.flv

http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/radfordc/Sonex/?action=view&current=190\
mph.flv
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 12
fiebichpv
June 7, 2010, 3:52am Report to Moderator

Ace
Charlie, I am not sure what I am supposed to see.  The link takes me to a website of photo collections for which I must sign up to see?  I am not sure I want to sign up for another group.  Also, how do you get the link to be "alive" when you put it in your post?  Swiping the desired text and clicking on the URL icon doesn't do it.  How do you do it?
Paul
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 12
Arthur Withy
June 7, 2010, 8:45am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Wow Paul....your the Man..! GREAT STORY. Priceless.

Im sure you have planted some dreams with those kids.

When are we all going to catch this mans adventuring spirit...?

Thankyou Paul for being inspirational to us all..!

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 12
radfordc
June 7, 2010, 1:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from fiebichpv
Charlie, I am not sure what I am supposed to see.  The link takes me to a website of photo collections for which I must sign up to see?  I am not sure I want to sign up for another group.  Also, how do you get the link to be "alive" when you put it in your post?  Swiping the desired text and clicking on the URL icon doesn't do it.  How do you do it?
Paul

The problem is the way the URL gets broken into two lines when I pasted it into the message.  See if this works?

http://tiny.cc/f74j8
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 12
fiebichpv
June 7, 2010, 10:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
The host of the National Biplane Fly-In just posted these photos on Flickr, cut and jpaste this link:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/flinthills/sets/72157624078958983/show/  Lots of neat looking plane.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 12
fiebichpv
June 16, 2010, 1:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Go to this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma86gvLI3cw to see a five minute video of the National Biplane Fly-In in Junction City, Kansas.  See an airbike land at the 1:20 minute mark.

AirBike Ace.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 12
Avenger
June 16, 2010, 3:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 47 days 8 hours 2 minutes
Noticed they cut the tape just as you were bouncing back into the air..... am wondering what that cost you to have done....  Great story and great video... will have to see if I can go with you next time...

The light at the end of the tunnel has been sold to China, if you need the light at the end of the tunnel please send 100 Yen.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 11 - 12
Larry
June 17, 2010, 3:38pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 6 days 18 hours 49 minutes
Cool fly-in.... Chris Cakes...originally started right here in Iowa. Pocahontas as a matter of fact, just North of me, started by Lorin Christiansen in the 1960s.

I have had to catch many pancakes flung at me by these guys

Larry

a mile of road will take you a mile, a mile of runway can take you anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  National Biplane Fly-In

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment