Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Saturday Fly-Ins and fun-flying
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Saturday Fly-Ins and fun-flying   This thread currently has 1,020 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
October 19, 2008, 3:18pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes

Finally, a great combination of winds less than 15 mph, sunny skies, and temperatures in the low 70's made for a good day to attend fly-ins and visit pilot friends.

My plan to fly with Chris in his Legal Eagle to the Benton Breakfast Saturday morning was thwarted by my flooding my engine while trying to start it (I hate it when I do that!).  I told Chris to go on ahead and I would join up with him later which I did.  However my delay allowed me to fly to the same destination with Keith who flew his Volksplane.  His speed was faster than mine so he S-turned several times allowing us to fly together.

A smoke pass down Benton's runway let everyone know that AirBike Ace was due to arrive.  Fly-in breakfasts are always a great place to meet with pilots and non-pilots alike.  Also the Boy Scouts served pancakes and sausage accompanied with coffee and orange juice.  

Chris and I then planned to fly together enroute to Halstead but that plan went awry as soon as we took off as we lost sight of each other.  After circling the airport several times then doing 360's and not finding him I headed for Halstead alone.  Following a couple of smoke passes over the parked planes at Halstead where our EAA chapter 88 was to have our annual pot luck lunch I got in the patten to land and spotted Chris about 1/4 mile away.  He was still putt-putting along about 40 mph IAS.  

Our final leg of this 100+ mile trip took us past Valley Center where we refueled (auto gas now at $2.33/gallon) and continued south following the Big Ditch (flood control waterway) which took us though ICT's airspace (I called ahead requesting permission).  This route saves us about 20 minutes by not having to circumvent Wichita.  My doing 360's along the route allowed us to fly closer together and not get separated.  

This trip achieved its purpose of providing Chris with "area familiarization" and an opportunity for him to navigate foreign territory via pilotage alone.  We also just like to fly places.  Fortunately the Western Front was quiet today as none of the Huns molested us on this training flight (they were probably still repairing their planes as a result of our last aerial battle).

AirBike Ace and sidekick Chris Duncan (we have to come up with a name for him---any ideas?)

Attachment: chris_closeup_etlb_8577.jpg
Size: 73.19 KB

Attachment: chris_ahead_of_me_etlb_5305.jpg
Size: 98.22 KB

Attachment: ace__chris_1_closeup_etlb_5042.jpg
Size: 74.23 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
BlueMax
October 19, 2008, 4:56pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 29 minutes
Great pics and story ace, I'll add a few more.

My arival at Benton

Ace finally managed to get that cranky wannabe WWI engine on his wannabe WWI combat plane running and arived in Benton about 15-20 minutes after me.

Keith and his Volksplane

Long EZ

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
BlueMax
October 19, 2008, 5:03pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 29 minutes
Following are some pics from the EAA chapter lunch at Halstead.

Northwing Trike

Taxiing down the half mile taxiway!

After leaving Halstead we flew down to Valley Center for fuel and to let the Mid-Continent airport guys know we were comming through in order to keep the commercial guys out of our dangerous wingtip vorticies

Departing Valley center

Home again

Happy Flying
Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
MiniMaxMan
October 19, 2008, 5:11pm Report to Moderator

Minimax and Sonerai Pilot
Ace
Time Online: 12 days 3 hours 57 minutes
Wow, it looks like fun fun fun guys!  Keep up the good work and awesome photos! I would love to join y'all on your missions, but my aircraft has a big noisy 503 on it and it is bright red, not a good thing while on stealth missions   Plus, it has a cruise of about 80 mph, and so it would be very challenging to stay with you guys. lol.

M3

-------------------------------------------------
"If in doubt, Chicken out."   
-------------------------------------------------          
                <"":     .:?
                  [    \''''#/
                   **/**\*  
                     ^  ^
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
talley
October 19, 2008, 6:25pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 7 days 44 minutes
Paul,  I think Chris should be tagged as "Eagle1" .  He is the only Legal Eagle I've seen around here.  I was glad to see him over at Benton yesterday.  Great Smile, you could tell he was beaming from just completing that first leg of the day and he seemed to enjoy telling everyone about his plane.  I believe his aunt and uncle were pretty proud of his accomplishment also.

Yep, sounds good.  "This is Chris Duncan, Eagle 1"  over

Happy Flying
Terry
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
Bob Hoskins
October 19, 2008, 6:58pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey Paul and Chris;
Keep it up, we all love it.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Saturday Fly-Ins and fun-flying

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment