Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Air-Dog Recruit
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Air-Dog Recruit  This thread currently has 872 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
July 3, 2008, 7:30pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Because of Gary's temporary Inactive Duty status, the AirBike Formation Flyers have been searching for a replacement member.  The following letter was sent to the other wingman and ground support crew for consideration of just such a replacement.  Perhaps the members of this board could once again rise to the challenge of offering their insight and "out of the box" thinking to provide assistance.

The photos below show the ABFF team demonstrating their "Missing Man Formation" and identifies what could be our new formation "point" plane to substitute for Gary until he flies with us again.  He is known as Air-Dog.

I believe, however, that this is actually an "Air-Dale".  He may have toe webbing to help increase his "bite" in the air, especially during climb-out. It has been reported that he can really dig in and go.  Most likely the dog-paddle will work as well in air as water but that is to be determined after testing and FAA certification. Perhaps Brent can assist with the FAA "paperwork" used in training.  Because his certification and training is incomplete, Air-Dog stays outdoors, his nickname is "Puddles".  

I think this is the original breed of taildraggers so identified when they raise their rear landing gear, who knows?. Most likely only the male Air-Dogs can make aircraft carrier landings because the females don't have an extendable hook to catch an arresting cable. There probably would be some pain associated with this mission capability.  Perhaps the pooling of liquid assets upon catching the cable would need to be addressed.  Additionally an excessive number of carrier landings may even cause more than a tail to drag.

With the addition of displayed camouflage outerwear Air-Dog could serve in the Utility Category for reconnaissance imaging when fitted with a white cane (seeing-eye) to do an assessment of our bombing runs. Considering that, we may want to control his diet because Air-Dogs are known for dropping bombs that have considerable hang time.

The goggles and cap are just the right accessories to keep him looking good upon landing and fending off all those red-haired nurses who would rush at him, a situation so common with WW I pilots (a tough job but someone has to do it).  Putting a silk scarf on him and leather booties would complete the outfit but consideration needs to be taken to avoid increasing the drag effect .

Give me your thoughts on incorporating this new guy into our outfit.

AirBike Ace

Missing- Man Smokin' Fly-by photo--Mike Rodriguez
Air-Dog photo--Included with  his resume

Attachment: camerapicture2_with_smoke_sm_6965.jpg
Size: 29.15 KB

Attachment: airdog_smaller_2072.bmp
Size: 197.81 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
DH1100
July 4, 2008, 2:45am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Well, that is some story! I think I'll go fetch a cold one and think about this.....

Not to be a heel, but I think dogs are better hunters than aviators. I beg you to think of the havoc a rabbit on the ground could cause on a tight formation flight if a dog was leading the pack... I mean,... aircraft.

I have known many dogs who would suddenly lie down and roll over when you got near them. Is that a good wingman quality? I don't think so.

Paul, I have great respect for you, but felt I had to speak out about this and not sit idly by. Something isn't right here, it's a feeling I can't shake. However, there may be an alternative.

Have you considered this candidate?  

Attachment: rocky__the_flying_squirrel_small_6529.jpg
Size: 20.04 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
DH1100
July 4, 2008, 2:47am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
P.S.

How many of you ran your cursor over those blue words, thinking they were a link to a website?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
gyrojeffro
July 4, 2008, 11:34am Report to Moderator
Guest User
  Do birddogs make better aviators. Sorry, sometimes I get so doggone confused. I will try not to hound you for an answer.
E-mail Reply: 3 - 8
BlueMax
July 4, 2008, 12:42pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Cool costume,
Whats air-dog's wing loading like? If only I could run my plane on dogfood.

CPD

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Ricardo
July 4, 2008, 8:48pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours
Very funny, very ingenious , picture and comments as well  
Just make sure to stay away of the "afterburner"....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Arthur Withy
July 5, 2008, 2:15am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
and stepping in the 'dump and burn'.....?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Larry
July 5, 2008, 9:26pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 6 days 18 hours 49 minutes
LOL!!! thats a good one Paul. You going to Boadhead before Oshkosh?
  Larry

a mile of road will take you a mile, a mile of runway can take you anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
fiebichpv
July 8, 2008, 5:59pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Way to go ETLB board members, you have risen to the challenge again!  You are both a credible source of airplane technical information and exhibit a vast wealth of creative pun wordsmithing.  Everyone enjoys your clever responses.  

Man I like this flying stuff----and the interaction on this board.  Alan, thanks for creating and maintaining it.  We all contribute our bits of knowledge and skill to the benefit of everyone.

AirBike Ace

PS--Larry, I will be driving with three others this year and pulling a trailer with my plane in it.  Broadhead most likely will not be a stop.  Thanks for asking.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment