Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Help with Machine-texturing Aluminum? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Help with Machine-texturing Aluminum?  This thread currently has 783 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Bill Metcalf
January 25, 2008, 3:25pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 22 days 7 hours 24 minutes
I am machine-texturing the Aluminum paneling to be used on my cowling and tank covers (don't know the proper term for this process). I'm not particularly happy with my results. There must be a better method than what I'm using. I am using a 2 inch sanding arbor in a drill. I dab rubbing compound on the aluminum sheet and, beginning with a new sanding disk, begin grinding each spot for up to a minute. After grinding a couple of spots, the sandpaper wears down, and eventually has no grit at all. At this point the rubbing compound is doing all the work. My results are uneven, and i know the pattern could be varied. Perhaps overlapping the spots would produce a better look. Is there an easier way to do this process? Different tools, etc.?

Here's one of my tank covers:

Attachment: textalum_3724.jpg
Size: 98.14 KB

Site Private Message
radfordc
January 25, 2008, 3:32pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Instead of a sanding disk use a Scotchbrite pad.  Also, you should overlap the circles about half way.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
radfordc
January 25, 2008, 3:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
Bill Metcalf
January 25, 2008, 4:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks radfordc, Very helpful. No wonder I couldn't turn up anything on Google under "engine turning." Sounds like most of this stuff is done mechanically with a stationary lathe or drill press. I'm doing it by hand because I can't reach the interior of a two foot wide sheet on my drill press. Looks like the available commercial mandrels are limited to 1" diameter and smaller, which quadruples the amount of work, compared to my 2" mandrel! I don't understand how you use the Scotchbrite pad? Do you cut it to shape for the mandrel you're using? How do you attach it? Does it stick to a hook-and-loop type surface - similar to the surface of the 2" sandpaper mandrel I'm using? Assuming this is possible, what type of grinding paste/solution would work with the Scotchbrite? Sounds like you've had some experience with this.
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
Randy lewis
January 25, 2008, 5:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 21 days 18 hours 20 minutes
Bill, you can buy scotch brite pads for your 2" arbor.  I know Harbor Freight sells them and maybe McMaster Carr.  They make the quick twist style of attachment.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
radfordc
January 25, 2008, 10:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Note how they overlap the swirls in this pattern.  Each line of swirls is overlapped with the previous line.

Scotch brite pads are available in 2" diameter for hook/loop arbors.

Attachment: php_2021.txt
downloads   -   Size: 26.78 KB

Attachment: mediawebserver_8599.jpg
downloads   -   Size: 31.04 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
radfordc
January 25, 2008, 10:06pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
Bill Metcalf
January 26, 2008, 6:39am Report to Moderator

Ace
A quick follow up - bought a couple of Scotch Brite-type pads at the supermarket today. Cut one to fit my 2" arbor. Tried it out this evening, using WD40 as a lube. It does work better than my sanding disks did. A little more texture in the swirls and a lot easier to wipe down than the rubbing compound I was using. Radfordc's posts were very helpful, especially the fpm metals site, which gives a good idea of the possibilities for patterning. From that, I saw that I could just overlap the pattern I had already done (I have one 2' x 4' sheet I wouldn't want to do from scratch again!). I'll post some more photos after I do a bit more work.
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
Bill Metcalf
January 28, 2008, 4:11am Report to Moderator

Ace
After changing materials via suggestions from the board members, here's what I came up with: Everything I used is in the photo. A 2" sanding arbor, a piece of Scotch Brite-style material cut to fit it, a drill, a pair of Nitrile gloves, and some WD40 for lubricant. Each swirl required approx. 30-40 seconds of fairly heavy pressure. As I went along I realized I could use just a tiny amount of WD40 to get a good result. It wipes clean pretty easily, but does make a bit of a black mess in the process (thus the gloves). I'm still working with the pattern to get a result I'm satisfied with. Overall, it works pretty well, just takes quite a bit of time.

Attachment: patterning1_6105.jpg
downloads   -   Size: 112.82 KB

Attachment: patterning2_5745.jpg
downloads   -   Size: 84.09 KB

Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
Bill Metcalf
January 28, 2008, 3:44pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I have some more overlaps to do there. I'm playing with one of the patterns I saw on the FPM metals site. Trying to utilize the patterns I had already done (see first photo). The pressure does make a difference. Doing this by hand rather than on a drill press makes it more of an art than a science. I'm not looking for perfection. Just wanted a finish that was more attractive than bare Aluminum. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to hide scratches. It's hard to see in the reduced image above, but there is a scratch i somehow introduced into the surface after burnishing it. Unfortunately, I think that's the nature of any unpainted Aluminum surface.
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment