Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Double-Header Flying Events
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Double-Header Flying Events  This thread currently has 3,079 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
October 5, 2007, 5:15pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Double-Header Weekend
Having missed the Great Bend, KS air show due to high winds, I seized the opportunity to combine the 51st Tulsa Regional Fly-In and the Alva, OK Festival of Flight into one weekend of flying activity.   It seemed like a good way to compensate for missing the earlier air show.  Makes sense to me. Being able to put two fine aviation events back-to-back in one weekend was a first for me, never before have I attended a "double-header" like this.

Wow, what a great weekend it was!  350 miles of flying, variety in my navigation, met old friends, made new ones, participated in a most excellent airplane display Saturday then on Sunday, topped off the weekend watching a 2-hour air show.  It was a great way to spend a weekend.  Actually it was more than that, it was phenomenal! It also included one tense flight leg.

Departure & Diverting

After filing a flight plan and calling Bartlesville’s temporary tower to announce my arrival I left Hamilton Field at 8:30 AM.  The sun was already up but the sky was hazy with about 5 miles of visibility.  Thirty minutes later that ended when a solid cloud layer at 3000 feet obstructed my flight path.  Too thick to go on top I decided to go under.  That didn’t work either because it was solid fog to the ground. Visibility was about 100 yards!  At 300’ AGL I gave up and diverted to Winfield airport, which was beyond the fog but 90 degrees to my flight path.

An hour later I had refueled at their credit card pump, filed a new flight plan and took off, again still in fog but visibility had improved to at least 3 miles.  Later I would realize a mistake I made during refueling.

Arriving at Frank Phillips Field in Bartlesville, OK I entered the pattern, watched for other planes, sequenced myself then landed on the grass runway paralleling the concrete.  Ground crew directed planes where to park.  They were well organized and knew what they were doing, very comforting!

Camaraderie

Surprise surprise!  Upon parking, a number of friends came over to greet me: there was Melinda from St. Joe MO., David & Dennis from Gage, OK, and Steve & Arbie from my own EAA Chapter 88!  You always hope to meet old friends at an event like this but I never expected them to be all in one place before I had even shut my engine off!  My God, it suddenly was Old Home Week! This feeling of companionship is what I really like about fly-ins.

The camaraderie of seeing friends and enjoying an aviation event ranks right up there with the act of flying to the event.  It is just a wonderful feeling to share experiences with so many people who feel similarly. As the day wore on I met others and made one new friend (Tony) from Arkansas who is building a Mini Max.  He was taking flying lessons at this airport.

Two More Surprises

Shock greeted me when the fuel truck finished filling my tanks and I tried to pay my bill with a credit card.  My card was missing!  Fortunately they let me pay my bill with a check.  I then spent an hour retracing my steps on the field and vendor areas looking and asking for my card.  Eventually I called my bank to put a hold on the card.  Ever lose your card, talk about anxiety!  Eventually I concluded that I had left my credit card in the fuel pump card machine at the Winfield Airport in Kansas (remember that flight path diversion and fuel fill up?).  Did you ever do that?

Late in the afternoon I erected my tent then cleaned up for the evening’s banquet.  Did you every try shaving and taking a sponge bath with Wet Wipes in the FBO single-place bathroom?  Well, it can be done but you have to be fast to avoid the irate glares of people waiting by the door when you exit.

The banquet was held in the air-conditioned country club and attended by about 150 people.  An awards ceremony complete with special speeches and bantering was held following the meal.   To my surprise I won “Grand Champion” for my category of plane!  Of the 270 registered planes about 20 were in the Ultralight, LSA category.  My 9-year old well-traveled hangar-rashed plane can still hold its own!

The fly-in organizers arranged for my transportation back to the airport, they drove others to their motels.  What a neat benefit!

Anxiety flight to Alva

Delayed two hours by the Sunday morning fog so thick the birds were walking and dogs crawling on their bellies my anxiety mounted as 9:00 approached.  That was my ”drop dead” departure time for me to arrive at Alva, OK airport before they closed for the air show at 11:30.  The fog burned off enough for me to depart following filing a flight plan for a 9:00 departure.  This was going to be close, I had 148 miles to go and needed to make one fuel stop.  If everything went well, I could just make it.

Switching on the GPS it was soon obvious that I had not entered the coordinates for my fuel stop at Blackwell, OK.  You can imagine my frustration and irritation.  I said “OK go to plan B”, fly due west using pilotage.  There were roads, Ponca City Lake, and I-35 to act as major landmarks.  I can do this and did.  I pushed the throttle to 6200 rpm, 400 past my cruise rpm. This moved my speed up to 70 mph thanks to a rear-quartering tailwind.  By 10:05 I was landing at Blackwell for fuel.  

Fuel stops are never fast especially when I need to close a flight plan, open a new one and this time get clearance to fly across Restricted Air Space to maintain straight-line flight to Alva.  Taking off 30 minutes later I knew that the airport would be closed by 11:30 as the Notam said, my only hope was for a tailwind and that the real start of the air show would be noon.  Otherwise there was no way I could cover the 70 miles in 45 minutes.  Alternately I could just go home from here.

Uncapped Fuel Tank?

Departing Blackwell and reaching 3,000' MSL two things grabbed my attention:  The SE tailwind had now changed to due south and was very strong and bumpy.  Secondly, the sight tube for my right fuel tank read only half full!  I was sure I filled the tanks and recounted the fuel price with what I had paid.  Yes I did fill the tanks.  So why was the gauge reading only half full?  When shutting the valve on that tank, the sight tube immediately showed full.  I began to wonder why that would be.  The best answer I could come up with was that I had forgotten to put the fuel cap back on and started kicking myself for not installing a safety chain on it like I said I was going to do years ago.

Failing in my attempt to remove the plane's rear view mirror so I could hopefully hold it in front of the wing to check for the missing cap I had two choices: 1) Turn around and go back to Blackwell thus completely missing the Alva air show or 2) keep going, monitor the fuel situation and try to resolve the problem.  In my flight path were two airports, Vance Air Force Base and Cherokee.  Also in my path was about 15 miles of marshland, lake and salt flats known as the Great Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge, not a good place to go down.  It seemed reasonable with two alternative airports to continue.  So I did.

The fuel gauge was reading horribly low as I passed Vance AFB but I knew I had enough fuel in the other tank to make Cherokee.  Ahead of me was the Salt marsh.  I could just imagine fuel spewing out the uncapped tank but could not reach far enough aft to put my hand in the slipstream behind the aileron to verify that situation.  Not only was the pucker factor going up but so was my anxiety while I seriously questioned the logic of my earlier go decision.

The right tank sight tube eventually displayed empty but when I shut off the valve, the gauge read at the 1/4 full mark?  Man, I couldn't figure this out.  Leaving the salt marsh behind me it seemed reasonable to make a precautionary landing at Cherokee 15 miles ahead and abandon extending my flight to Alva, I needed to stay on the safe side of this situation.  Now I figured I had just wasted a lot of time, burned fuel unnecessarily and put myself at risk, perhaps I should have just gone home from Blackwell.  I was irritated at having made a bad decision.

Dropping another 1000 feet in anticipation of a Cherokee landing the air became very bumpy and my heart sank when I saw the runway.  There were no hangars (only remnants of concrete where they once stood), no fuel truck, no fuel tanks/pump, no airport shack.  Nothing.  The place looked abandoned and town was about 3 miles away, this was not a good place to land.

Pressing on I endured the bumpy air confident that I could still make Alva on the left tank's remaining fuel and that in my fuselage reserve tank.  At 11:45 I was in Alva's airport area, vigilant for air show planes; I saw one take off and climb for altitude.  I also saw a C-172 in the pattern and setting up for a long approach; for whatever reason it was going to land and it was not a part of the show.  Cutting my pattern short I planned to follow the Cessna in, if I got waved off I would land in a field next to the airport and walk to it.  I was out of options. To avoid fuel feed problems during descent; I switched to my reserve tank.  

Following landing I was waved into a parking place where I exited the plane, and apologized for my transgressions to the lineman.  He said not to worry, FAA was not on the field and only the flag jumpers had gone up to do their thing.  Whew!!!!

Now the best part.  After tying down between the runway and the tarmac I could see four people waving frantically from behind the safety tape.  Immediately I recognized them as EAA members from Gage, OK whom I had told I planned on being there Sunday.  It was Gail, Don, Ron and Cliff.  They changed their attendance day from Saturday to Sunday to greet me!  How about that!  Man, did that make me feel good!  Aviation folks are fantastic, I need to "pass forward" all the friendship I received this weekend.

We spent the balance of the day together enjoying each other's company, getting caught up, and marveling at the air show acts.  By 4:30 I was refueled and on my takeoff run for home, sun and wind at my back. It doesn’t get any better than that!  I made the 87 miles in one hour and 10 minutes!  That's almost 80 mph!  Man what a ride (at 4,000').  What a weekend!  I live for this stuff!

AirBike Ace

PS. The fuel cap was in place, however the cap’s vent tube was angled about 45 degrees to the line of flight.  I believe this caused air to be siphoned out of the tank and caused a low-pressure area in it.  It then became easier for the fuel pump to draw fuel from the sight tube until equilibrium was reached before drawing down the tank.  Hence the false reading but an accurate reading when the valve was closed.  Any ideas?  

Attachment: bvoondownwindetlb_5766.jpg
Size: 37.13 KB

Attachment: paulnexttoairbikeetlb_6682.jpg
Size: 69.58 KB

Attachment: aeroncal02etlb_2136.jpg
Size: 54.27 KB

Attachment: aeroncal3etlb_5744.jpg
Size: 52.28 KB

Attachment: ultralightetlb_4265.jpg
Size: 37.10 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
fiebichpv
October 5, 2007, 5:19pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Here are some more photos.

What do you think of the "Mini-Max" on Steroids?

Attachment: champs2aftetlb_6472.jpg
Size: 31.60 KB

Attachment: floatertwoetlb_3275.jpg
Size: 49.02 KB

Attachment: fogairbikechampsetlb_8115.jpg
Size: 23.38 KB

Attachment: fogclearingetlb_6447.jpg
Size: 44.10 KB

Attachment: hatzbiplaneetlb_4822.jpg
Size: 51.75 KB

Attachment: paulaawardetlb_6613.jpg
Size: 39.30 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Charlie Harris
October 6, 2007, 12:55am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 23 days 31 minutes
Paul: some guys like You really get it done. Some like Myself just dream it. But You sure do help me to keep dreaming. Maybe someday. Thanks for shareing. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
Bob Hoskins
October 6, 2007, 2:33am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi Paul;
As usual you have shared a great story with us. As I read, I felt like I was there with you. What a great week end you had. And thank you again for sharing your experiences with us. You are an inspiration to all of us
Thank you, Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
djohn
October 6, 2007, 10:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 24 days 19 hours 31 minutes
Great story Paul. Also neat that these are all places I have been or flown over, and I think all of us flying comunity weigh our options very similar to you. This is what flying is all about.

These stories do inspire, and thank you for that.

Dennis
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
Ricardo
October 7, 2007, 12:27am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours
Paul:
Thanks for your story. You really know how to write.....and fly !!!

Ricardo
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
fiebichpv
October 9, 2007, 1:59am Report to Moderator

Ace
I sure enjoy your comments fellows, glad that my adventures can inspire your dreams, help you recall places you have been and confirm that us pilots think alike.   Thanks for your observation on my writing skill Ricardo, I have been working on that as well as my landings.

Whoever suggested to Alan that this board have a section for contributing flying stories really opened up a good venue for sharing the end result of all our building effort and construction problem solving. The goal of building is to fly, we need to share those experiences as well as what we did to get here.

Below are some more photos showing the Oklahoma landscape (I think Arthur sees more trees in Australia than there are in these photos), a typical OKlahoma community (elevator, abandoned RR tracks, a couple of houses and a road), a really tricked-out Pietenpol and an old weathered pilot.

Paul Fiebich

Attachment: anthonyksetlb_7662.jpg
Size: 22.56 KB

Attachment: oklahomacommunityetlb_6290.jpg
Size: 44.88 KB

Attachment: oklahomahomesteadetlb_5980.jpg
Size: 50.13 KB

Attachment: pietenpolfwdetlb_1727.jpg
Size: 69.47 KB

Attachment: paulincockpitetlb_8070.jpg
Size: 50.33 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
Joe
October 9, 2007, 6:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
No question about it. Paul, that was another superbly written article. The best part about you inspiring us all with your cross country adventures is that you not only venture out, but you also take the time to write about it. Too bad more didn't take the time to write such well written stories.

Keep'em coming,

Joe Harrington
E-mail Reply: 7 - 11
adamover
October 15, 2007, 1:00pm Report to Moderator

943KG
Wing Man
Time Online: 10 days 22 hours 58 minutes
Thanks Paul,  I always enjoy your stories and pictures as well.  Congratulations on your "Grand Champion" award.  What a good feeling!  
Keep up the good work!   New friends, old friends and airplanes, it doesn't get any better.  Adam Gercak
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
MiniMaxMan
October 17, 2007, 1:21am Report to Moderator

Minimax and Sonerai Pilot
Ace
Time Online: 12 days 3 hours 57 minutes
Sweet deal man! Sounds like extreme fun!

I am finally back on my feet and hope to be a happy minimax owner the beginning of november

Can't wait!

M3

-------------------------------------------------
"If in doubt, Chicken out."   
-------------------------------------------------          
                <"":     .:?
                  [    \''''#/
                   **/**\*  
                     ^  ^
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
iac249
October 21, 2007, 9:29pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 52 minutes
Great writing and pictures as always.  It was great meeting you and talking a bit, sorry I couldn't stick around longer.  I actually have a himax that was just issued an airworthiness certificate couple days ago.   Converted it to the new E-LSA category, inspection process was a piece of cake and the DAR does all the paper work, he told me to just have a ball point pin.  
I am still taking lessons at Bartlesville and soloed yesterday   So between my himax passing inspection and soloing I've had a pretty good weekend.  I hope to meet up with you again in the future, perhaps sharing alittle airspace.

Tony
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
fiebichpv
October 22, 2007, 12:21am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi Tony,
I enjoyed meeting you too, it is nice to talk with someone who is so enthusiastic about flying as you.  Traveling the distances you do to take flying lessons sure demonstrates a lot of motivation.  Making the trip on your motorcycle certainly must extend your enjoyment.  I enjoyed spending time with you looking at exhibits, planes and eating lunch.

Congratulations on your solo!  That is a major milestone in your aviation career.  You are not too far away from taking your HiMax up by yourself, be careful and consistent.  

My next cross-country will take me to Fairview on November 10 to attend their 56th annual Fly-In.  Perhaps I will see you there.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Double-Header Flying Events

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment