Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  MAX & tall pilots Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

MAX & tall pilots  This thread currently has 1,266 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
iter
August 17, 2007, 2:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 309 days 1 hours 7 minutes
I started laying out full-size fuselage plans for my 1100R and started worrying. I'm 6'4". Will I fit in the thing? Is there anything I need to enlarge to make sure I fit? Legroom is my main concern.

I've seen real-life Maxes but never sat in one. If there is anyone on this board who's in California (or Nevada or Oregon) who would let me try his Max for size, I'd be in debt. Ideally, within 350 NM radius from KRHV.

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
iter
August 17, 2007, 2:54am Report to Moderator

Ace
Obligatory "making engine noises" photo.

Ari.

Attachment: img_1503_4777.jpg
Size: 166.22 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 12
Arthur Withy
August 17, 2007, 11:13am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Great photograhpy Ari...gave me a laugh...I like the no shoes concept however there isnt a control yoke in a Minimax...Its a real aeroplane and comes with a stick.....maybe another photo required..!

The smile looks convincing

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 12
djohn
August 17, 2007, 12:36pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 24 days 19 hours 31 minutes
I particularly like the "dimensional adjustment instruments" (axes) on the wall.

Dennis
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 12
Tom
August 17, 2007, 7:38pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Must be a Stealth?

I'm 6'1" and "just fit" in my 1600R. I had more of a side to side problem which can be caused by Budweiser during the building phase.

Also, don't wear high heels while flying and you should be OK.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 12
iter
August 17, 2007, 7:48pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Tom
Must be a Stealth?

I'm 6'1" and "just fit" in my 1600R. I had more of a side to side problem which can be caused by Budweiser during the building phase.

Also, don't wear high heels while flying and you should be OK.

I was worried about clearing my knees, or having to move the pedal very far forward. 1600R also has a canopy, do you have any problems fitting under it?

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 12
Mike Howe
August 17, 2007, 8:41pm Report to Moderator

MiniMax, Hawk, GA (Tipacer), another Max to finish
Ace
Time Online: 7 days 7 hours 30 minutes
I am only 5'8" and when sitting in the plane, I can hit my knee on the front carry through when I raise it up.

Mike Howe
howetyr@yahoo.com
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 12
djohn
August 17, 2007, 11:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 24 days 19 hours 31 minutes
But will there be room enough with the new flying suit?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 12
Tom
August 18, 2007, 3:09am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Your knees will fit under the cross member if you keep the rudder pedals as far forward as possible. I remember that you can raise the heigth of the canopy a couple inches without any problem. Keep the seat cushion thin too. You won't be able to wear a helmet but you'll fit. Most experimentals of any design are a bit cozy once inside. I have a friend that just finished an older model Kitfox that I got into and thought they'd have to pull me out with a chain.

There has to be a Max within a short distance of anywhere that you can sit in.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 12
iter
August 18, 2007, 8:00am Report to Moderator

Ace
Bob, thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about a chain. Getting into and out of the Skybolt I'm a partner in makes me wish we had a crane in our hangar, sort of like late medieval knights used to mount their horses. I purposely decided to build an open-top Max so I wouldn't have to deal with canopy height (that, and I'm too lazy to build a canopy).

I'm sure there must be Maxes around, but I haven't found any so far. We have two EAA chapters at the airport I fly out of. One mostly builds RVs. They have a lot of respect for light wood airplanes, but not much interest.The other is a "social" chapter. When I mentioned I was looking for Max info to the "social" chapter, their president emailed me a few days later with the most useful information she could find--the JDT website address :=)

So I'm still looking for a local MAX :=)

Ari.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 12
plumber
August 18, 2007, 12:56pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
you will have a little problem. i fly a eros and its just right for me. i have two friends that fly my plane, one about 6'1 and one about 6'2. its a real tight on them and they both have problems with there legs. it is real easy to fix this. the friend that is 6'1 has a custom canopy that was made for his plane. taller and all plex glass. he also moved the seat down and back. this gave him the romm he needed. i also built my plane as you are, i had a friend that i talked to about streaching the firewall out about three inches. he was a beach enginer. because of my size 5'8 i didnt do it, but should have.  its really not hard to do at all and doesnt add stress or any problems to the structure. and with a light engine (hirth, rotax) cg is still great.  with my hks it may have been to nose heavy.  well good luck!
E-mail Reply: 10 - 12
theosus
August 18, 2007, 7:45pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 6 hours 30 minutes
I'm a hair over 6'02.... and I fit in may max-103, which has a 22" fuselage. I mounted the pedals all the way at the end of my floorboard, and used hinges with built-in springs instead of external springs, to save room. Pedal clearance isnt much of a problem. Getting in is awkward. I have to crouch down in seat with knees in chest, and then stick legs out, to clear the front spar carry-through channel. Was worried about stick side-to-side movement, but treadmill should clear excess gross weight on upper leg area.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 12
RB861
October 27, 2007, 5:29am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 hours 5 minutes
You guys bring back memories of my first anxious moment building my Eros.  After months and months of working on the tail feathers and fuselage for two Eros planes with my buddy, he slides into his seat for the first time and his legs fit fine.  I slide into mine and my knees hit the front spar carry through!  We’re both 5’10” but he is more trunk and I more leg.  I had to lower the seat bottom, move the seat back pivot point further back and move the rudder pedals forward.  I fit now with about 2” clearance on the spar carry through.  After rigging the rudder pedals with homemade toe brakes, the toe brake just hits the firewall with full break and full rudder.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment