Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  AirBiking to AirVenture'07
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

AirBiking to AirVenture'07  This thread currently has 4,318 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
August 5, 2007, 11:45pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
AirVenture’07 at Oshkosh, WI. is an adventure in itself.  Flying there in my AirBike magnifies the adventure many times.  Briefly, this is a combination endurance and confidence-building round trip flight of 1509 miles, taking 24 hours over 12-days.  Cruising between 55 and 60 MPH IAS, I traveled about 100 miles between fuel stops.  Variables included fuel availability, airports within range and weather conditions.  The flight path was understandably zig-zag.  I flew VFR using only pilotage plus intermittent use of a hand held GPS.  It was a backup and anxiety-reducer.

The flight to Oshkosh took three days while traveling between 200 and 300 miles per day.  Flying an AirBike makes this trip an adventure unlike any other.   Adventures started on the first leg; it involved skirting small storm cells in my flight path near Coffey, Kansas.  When my first fuel stop at Ottawa Airport was weathered-in due to an isolated thunderstorm, I was forced to find an alternate place to land.  That place happened to be a harvested wheat field.

A farmer in his pickup truck approached to investigate.  Upon learning that I was not only waiting out the storm but also low on fuel he drove me to a gas station.  Noting the plane’s bullet holes the farmer asked what happened.  Seizing the opportunity to exhibit humor, I replied that this was a WWI wannabe combat plane, it has been in battle.  The bullet holes DO look real.

With 5 gallons in the plane’s tank I took off for Ottawa Airport.  Arriving at 5:30 I discovered the airport closed and there was no immediate alternative for refueling.  Examining the chart and the plane’s remaining fuel level, I determined there was just enough gas to reach Payola’s Miami Airport.  Away I went.

Refueled with 10 gallons of avgas, I then flew around the southeast side of Kansas City to Roosterville Airport near Liberty, MO.  Following an overnight stay with my nephew, I planned to refuel in the morning for the first leg of the second day. Unfortunately, heavy traffic flying to Oshkosh also refueled at Roosterville and had drained the airport’s fuel supply before I got any.  My nephew drove me to a nearby Quick Trip for gas.  

You have to be ready to deal with any variable impeding your progress or else you will never reach your destination. Flight planning is not an exact science.  According to Notams, the first two airports I planned to stop at that day were also out of fuel.  The third didn’t answer the phone.  I filed a flight plan anyway for that airport after deciding I would deal with any fuel problem upon arrival.  There was none, the airport had fuel.

That evening I landed at Walker Field where Gary Christiansen hangars his plane.  We went out to dinner and had an enjoyable evening, his wife Pat fixed us breakfast the next morning and then Gary drove me to his airport.  We flew together for about 60 miles before parting ways.

I like to fly between 2,000 and 3,000 feet AGL which gives me up to three minutes to find an emergency landing site (pasture) if the engine quits (it never did).  I didn’t go any higher because it was too cold!  I select altitude based on wind conditions because it drastically affects my ground speed.  Heck, when there is a severe headwind, I just take off and then hover, letting the earth spin below me until my destination comes into sight.  Then I land.  Cool eh?

Working my way across Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois and into Wisconsin I watched as crops changed from wheat and hay to corn and soybeans.  NE Iowa and Illinois had very few emergency landing fields due to heavy corn production needed to feed the ethanol plants.  That definitely increased the pucker factor because neither crop would offer a safe place to land, doing so would likely destroy my plane.  I did see an Ag Cat rolled-up into a ball in a cornfield at the end of Gary's runway.  That must have hurt!

After a total of 9 fuel stops following a zig- zag flight path, three days, 12-1/2 flying hours and covering 750 miles, my trusty AirBike landed Osh. at 6:15 PM.  A friend who had driven 11 hours from Wichita that morning arrived an hour before me to give me a lift to the YMCA.  After listening to his ribbing, I said that if I was in a hurry I would have driven my car.  Besides, my trip was unquestionably more fun than his.

I was independent of any following ground support while traveling.  I carry clothing, engine oil, sleeping bag, tent, air mattress, tools and an emergency supply of food tucked away in two storage compartments.  As a former Scoutmaster, I know the value of being prepared.

While at AirVenture I flew only one demonstration flight, thanks for taking photos Gary.  However, the main attraction for me was enjoying the camaraderie among folks in the aviation community.  I visited with Ron Franck, Adam and Angee, Harold Atchison, Mike Howe, Tim Bogenhagen, Skip Little, Mike Flannagin, Brian Overson, Mary Jones and Joa Harrison.  Unfortunately I missed others who left messages in my cockpit.  Thanks to all of you who helped make my visit more meaningful.

Since this is mainly a volunteer-operated event, next time I will do my part by volunteering in the Ultralight area.  I am also considering being one of the forum speakers, the topic of course:  “Flying to AirVenture in an AirBike.”  This being the second time making the trip I have a pretty good handle on the process.

AirVenture is a story in itself but briefly there is a lot to see and do as previously mentioned.  A couple of the photos will give you an idea of what is going on.

Due a High Pressure weather system’s movement, I had tailwinds on both the outbound and inbound flights.  An incredible situation!  At times the wind pushed me along at speeds reaching 80 mph!  It is fun flying faster than some of the cars.  My first night’s stop was at Ron Franck’s home in rural IA.  What a neat environment!  Corn and bean fields, horses, hills, flowers, vegetable garden, dogs and great meals!  Thanks Ron and Pat!

Thundershowers on the third day of my return trip caused the flight path to be even more zig-zag than the outbound trip.  After refueling in Gardner, KS I flew two legs of a right triangle instead of the hypotenuse to avoid storms on the shorter path. Rain soaked me twice on this leg but I am not made of sugar so I didn't melt and air-dried very quickly. After landing at 1K3 in Derby, KS I sat in the cockpit a few minutes reveling in my fantastic journey.  I hope you enjoyed hearing about it.

My plane “ain’t no hangar queen”, it was built to go places.  In the past 9 years it has flown 670 hours; that translates into an estimated 37,000 miles which is more than 1-1/2 times around the world!  Never in my wildest dreams since building my Airbike 9 years ago did I even consider that this little plane would take me on such great adventures and be my ticket to the fantastic environment called General Aviation.  Man, what a ride!  The combination of the Rotax 503 engine and Airbike is  perfect, I showed my appreciation in one of the photos below.

I have not posted this trip on my website yet, I will let you know when it is ready.  There will be more photos.  Other statistics: 63 MPH average, 4.3 GPH average, 17 total fuel stops.

AirBike Ace
I think I may have become a legend in my own MIND

Attachment: osh_1_004_in_field_near_waverly_ks_etlb_627.jpg
Size: 34.87 KB

Attachment: osh_1_007_g_christiansen_etlb_3577.jpg
Size: 52.96 KB

Attachment: osh_1_011_paul_in_cockpitetlb_9431.jpg
Size: 54.27 KB

Attachment: osh_1_047_broadhead_airport_etlbsm_4551.jpg
Size: 53.99 KB

Attachment: osh_1_052_tim__pauls_planes_etlb_8520.jpg
Size: 46.66 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
fiebichpv
August 5, 2007, 11:48pm Report to Moderator

Ace
More photos

Attachment: osh_1_059_in_front_of_red_barn_etlb_8794.jpg
Size: 57.25 KB

Attachment: osh_1_203_cub_on_floats_etlb_2072.jpg
Size: 58.26 KB

Attachment: osh_1_248_ron_franck_in_formation_etlb_3564.jpg
Size: 25.14 KB

Attachment: osh_1_264_paul_hugging_engine_etlb_4726.jpg
Size: 56.02 KB

Attachment: osh_1_051ul_field_etlb_5571.jpg
Size: 40.56 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 25
Ricardo
August 6, 2007, 12:26am Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours
Thanks for sharing Paul. What an adventure! and nicely written too.
As I said before, you're an inspiration for  many of us.
Congratulations on your milestones.
Ricardo

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 25
skyblazer
August 6, 2007, 12:43am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 29 days 11 hours 48 minutes
AMEN!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 25
Arthur Withy
August 6, 2007, 9:44am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Absolutely...a Bloody great adventure and Story..!

Well done.

I'm envious.

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 25
Knut A
August 6, 2007, 10:19am Report to Moderator

LN-YJE
Ace
Time Online: 21 days 16 hours 8 minutes
An exiting story and good pics. Ended also well like the most fairy tales. You inspire us all. Keep on.
Knut A
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 25
RJBHIMAX
August 7, 2007, 12:30am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 20 hours 48 minutes
Thanks for sharing your story. I am really sorry I missed you at Oshkosh. My cell phone was not working there. My wife told me that you tried to reach me. Next time you make the trip, I WILL make it a point to meet face to face. Like others who have not actually flown to AirVenture, we vicariously make the trip with you.

Dick Bracker

Dick Bracker, (RJBHIMAX), Hi-Max S/N MK68, Madison, WI
http://www.frappr.com/easttennesseelonesomebuzzards/photo/486303
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Windows Live Messenger Reply: 6 - 25
fiebichpv
August 7, 2007, 2:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi Dave,

Thanks for leaving your card in my cockpit at Oshkosh, too bad we couldn't connect.  At various times during my trip my cell phone would not work so I understand your situation.  I am glad my story and photos made it possible for you to fly vicariously with me.  With those kinds of thoughts, I am never alone.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 25
Gene
August 7, 2007, 12:36pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 9 days 1 hours 4 minutes
Hi Paul,

Sure sorry it didn't work out for us to get together at Brodhead on the Sunday you left Oshkosh.     I was really looking forward to spending some time with you once again....!

I was also sorry to learn that you had stopped into Brodhead on the Saturday on your way up.    Also that this was the day of the "Pietenpol" fly-in.  I thought you were just stopping on your way back...!  I don't keep up with things at Brodhead anymore like I used to when I had a hangar there.   I only live about 15 miles or so from there and you must have flown almost directly over my home on your way.    Maybe next year....!

Have a great day....!

Gene
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 25
fiebichpv
August 7, 2007, 2:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi Gene,

I too am sorry we missed getting together.  My stop at Broadhead on the way to Oshkosh was almost a spur of the moment thing, that decision was made at my previous fuel stop at Tri Township Airport near Savana, IL.  We will need to make a connection the next time I am out your way, it would have been neat to see your shop and planes under construction.

Plot a course from Walker Field (25 miles NW of Muscatine, Ia near W. Liberty) to Broadhead, then from Broadhead to Juneau 65 miles slightly NNE enroute to Osh and you will know my flight path.  Did I go over your house or quite near it?

This was a premium flight, it would have been enhanced even more if I could have visited you.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 25
Gene
August 7, 2007, 2:53pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Paul,

On the flight path that you outlined you went about six miles West of my house.    I am on the NW side of Janesville, a few miles out of town.    Hopefully next year we can pull it off....!

Gene
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 25
adamover
August 8, 2007, 12:20pm Report to Moderator

943KG
Wing Man
Time Online: 10 days 22 hours 58 minutes
Great story Paul!  Angee and I also flew in to Osh, but didn't have near the adventure you did.  Small planes are more fun!  Till next time...

Adam Gercak
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 25
fiebichpv
August 8, 2007, 9:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Here are a couple more photos you might find interesting.  One is what an Ag Cat looks like when "rolled up" into a ball.  A combination of density altitude, full load and a shortened runway roll put this guy through two fences before flipping through the corn.  Note that the tail is tucked up behind the cockpit!  Thank goodness for roll cages.  Gary Christiansen who uses the same runway said the pilot had only a cut on his finger and was flying again the next day.  This happened one day prior to my arrival.

That's Gary's runway amid the corn and beans.  The crashed Ag Cat is at the left end of the runway in that area of mashed corn.

The other two photos taken at Oshkosh are the result of Gary positioning himself in good locations to get the photos he wanted.  Thanks Gary.

AirBike Ace

Attachment: osh_1_027_ag_cat_in_corn_closeup_etlb_4177.jpg
Size: 62.31 KB

Attachment: paulairborne_etlb_9349.jpg
Size: 64.92 KB

Attachment: paulclimbingout_etlb_7281.jpg
Size: 54.80 KB

Attachment: osh_1_023_g_christiansens_runway_etlb_1382.jpg
Size: 60.55 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 12 - 25
Arthur Withy
August 9, 2007, 11:02am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Nice Photos Paul.Thanks.

Check your inbox for the ETLB...have sent you a PM

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 25
Joe
August 9, 2007, 6:14pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi Paul,

Fantastic Trip, Fantastic Adventure, Fantastic Story!

You really are an inspiration to many. Proof that we don't need to have expensive equipment and unlimited resources to make significant trips and have a good time! I am now wishing that I had, some how, made it to Osh this year and hung out with you.

Cheers,
Joe Harrington
E-mail Reply: 14 - 25
fiebichpv
August 9, 2007, 9:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi Joe,

It would be my pleasure to have enjoyed AirVenture with you; the great Canadian cross-country light plane pilot and trip organizer.  We have a lot in common, mostly the spirit of adventure and the ability to make time for such trips. I appreciate your advice given previously when I was attempting to get a group of AirBikers to make the trip.  This year I was able to fly with two of them on separate legs.  Man, this was quite a trip! (and I don't mean in the context of those hippies in the '60s)

We all inspire each other

All for now, keep flying and enjoying it with your friends
Paul Fiebich

Attachment: osh_1_108_sitting_under_plane_etlb_2541.jpg
Size: 74.90 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 15 - 25
flybob13
August 14, 2007, 2:46am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 5 days 20 hours 43 minutes
Yes Ace, you are an inspriation!!! Let's don't knock the '60's LOL. BTW, What kinda of helmet and radio setup do you have? Bob
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 25
fiebichpv
August 16, 2007, 4:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi Bob,

My radio set-up includes a Yaesu hand-held radio, Radio Shack antenna, PTT switch and cable between the radio and my helmet.  My helmet is a standard motorcycle type in which I have installed speakers.  

This system is marginal at best, while flying, listening only is all I can do.  Even with a sponge and leather cover over the microphone the ambient noise is too loud for me to broadcast an intelligable message.  Listening range is about 5 miles.  I can talk to unicom/tower while taxiing on the ground.

I have been able to talk while flying to other planes that are flying with me, like within half a mile and they can understand me.  Sometimes I throttle back or cover my mouth and microphone with my hand.  There is just a tremendous amount of noise that compromises radio communication.

Even though I am at best a one-way communicator (listener) while flying, that is better than nothing especially when an airport area.  I at least can figure out where other planes are when I can't see them.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 17 - 25
Gene
August 16, 2007, 5:24pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Paul,

Way back when I was in the USAF during the Korean War our B-29's were equipped with "throat mikes" so that you didn't have to pickup and handle a separate mike.   The quality of the mikes wasn't the best, but they were never affected by extraneous noise or rushing air....!

The mikes were held to your larynx by a lightweight elastic strap and just like you, they used a push to talk button.   Don't know if these are still available or if they would fit your system, but I think I would check them out as I think they might solve your problem.

Have a SUPER day buddy....!

Gene

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 25
fiebichpv
August 18, 2007, 3:02pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for the suggestion Gene, anyone know where one of these systems can be obtained at a reasonable cost?  I have explored the air tube method which involves a form fitted in-the-ear piece connected to a "translator" via a very small plastic tube but those things are in the $500 range.  Completely out of the question pricewise.

Korean War, B-29s, Gene you don't look old enough to have been involved in that conflict.  You are holding up well.  Must be that good Wisconsin living, having a dog, a good wife and building airplanes eh?  That saying about "time spent working on or flying airplanes doesn't detract from ones lifespan" must be true.

Paul
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 19 - 25
Gene
August 19, 2007, 1:58pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Paul,

I would think that any military surplus store that sold electronic equipment might have one of these "throat mikes" in their inventory..!     Don't know if the impedance of these mikes would match that of your communication system however.    But, I honestly believe that it's worth a shot....!    The only problem I ever had with them was that your voice sounded much deeper as the higher pitch response was almost non-existent....!

Thanks for your kind words in remarking that I don't look old enuf for being of the Korean War era....!    I'm just a few months shy of being 75.    Seen a lot and done a lot in those 74-plus years....!   I'm the luckiest guy in the world hands down.....!

Let me know if you have any luck with the mike....!

Gene
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 25
gmedic09
August 23, 2007, 11:18pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 14 hours 8 minutes
    Paul,
            Great story.  I am really glad you got to make it again to Airventure. You are an inspiration to alot of people bud.  I really enjoyed our phone conversation from the airstrip. I am glad you took the time out to give me a call.  Forgot to ask how is Robby doing?  Jake is still hanging in there. He will be 14 next week.
                                                                  Take care, Kep
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 25
October 1, 2007, 11:16pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Paul,

Your adventures of flying to Airventure 2007 and the stories that go with that trip are great! I'm glad to be a small part of your adventures. It reminds me, years ago, when I backpacked through out Europe on a Eurail pass and skydived in 5 countries. The people I met and the stories... Hope to see you again, maybe in '08?  Harold
E-mail Reply: 22 - 25
theosus
October 2, 2007, 3:41am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 6 hours 30 minutes
Quoted from fiebichpv
Thanks for the suggestion Gene, anyone know where one of these systems can be obtained at a reasonable cost?  I have explored the air tube method which involves a form fitted in-the-ear piece connected to a "translator" via a very small plastic tube but those things are in the $500 range.  Completely out of the question pricewise.
Paul

Are you talking about the little earpieces connected to the coily tubes, that wrap aroun your ear like the secret service guys? I few of the officers in my local police dept. bought them for the police radios. I KNOW they didnt pay $500 for them. Ill check around and see what they had to do to match them to the radio. Throat mikes are another matter. I have seen SWAT people use them, but dont know a price.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 25
PoconoJohn
November 3, 2007, 3:26pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 9 minutes
Try GOOGLINg "throat microphone" and you'll get a number of hits. I noticed one of the first was a mike plus ear piece for $99 USD. Don't know if this helps.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 24 - 25
fiebichpv
November 5, 2007, 3:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks Ben, I will check it out.

Paul
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 25 - 25
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  AirBiking to AirVenture'07

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment