Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Pulse pump on Vw engine Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Pulse pump on Vw engine  This thread currently has 616 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
The Termite
September 28, 2005, 2:02am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
I'm having troubles getting my pulse pump to work on my Type 2  1/2 vw engine.  I did tests with the pump by putting a pulse in it with my mouth. Works this way.   But in putting it on the engine it does not work.  

I bought the engine all built.  It has no electrical system so an electric one will not work.  

Are there other options available?

The fuel tank is behind the seat.  A ways from the carbs (2).

Ken
Logged Offline
Private Message
Harless Greear
September 28, 2005, 10:11am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 35 days 14 hours 19 minutes
Ken, I think the vw has a vented crankcase and does not make enough pulse to operate a pulse pump...

Do you have a place to mount a mechanical pump on the engine??

You could make a wind generator and run an electric pump.

The last and most desperate suggestion would be to fly with the pulse hose in your mouth>>>(joke}

HARLESS in Va.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
RandyL
September 28, 2005, 10:36am Report to Moderator
Guest User

As far as I know, that would be correct, I don't think that a pulse pump will work on any 4 stroke engine as they do not have crankcase pressure. I believe that mechancal or electrical will be your choices. I am speaking from an automobile mechanic view. If there is something different designed for aero engines I don't know of it.

Randy
E-mail Reply: 2 - 4
kfb
September 28, 2005, 7:24pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Pulse pumps will work on some four strokes, the Briggs and Stratton V twins use them.  The problem with a VW is that they run a negative pressure crankcase I think, rather than an open breather vented system like the B&S.

If I remember correctly, VWs use a system a bit like the BMW boxer bike engine, with a one way valve on the crankcase breather that lets air out but not in.  By running the crankcase at a partial vacuum the pumping losses are reduced quite a bit, plus the chance of venting oil via the breather is much reduced.  It also tends to stop oil leaks when the engine is running.

The first few times the engine turns over each time you start it effectively gets the crankcase down to vacuum and is probably enough to stop a pulse pump springing back to pump (the vacuum pulls the diaphragm back, against a spring, and the spring then provides a near-constant pressure on the pump stroke).

Jeremy
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Scott
October 4, 2005, 5:01pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 13 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Ken, you might try installing a fitting into your intake pipe and use the intake pulse from one cylinder. I have seen this done on another 1/2V.W. installation using a dual line Mikuni diaphram fuel pump.

Scott
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment