Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  paint Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

paint  This thread currently has 843 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Charlie Harris
September 27, 2005, 11:34pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 23 days 31 minutes
To Harold A:  That is one fine looking paint job. I sure hope to see your plane on day. What did You use. Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message
September 28, 2005, 2:07pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks, I used Valspar American Tradition lifetime 100% Acrylic Exterior Latex SemiGloss paint. Sprayed it on with HVLP sprayer. I bought the paint at Lowe's and used their stock white but had the blue customed mixed.
Harold

Attachment: p1010004_968.jpg
Size: 55.62 KB

E-mail Reply: 1 - 7
Stas
September 28, 2005, 8:00pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Harold, your paint is good, very good and clear visible gloss (even with Latex) but paint on the pictures is unbeatable. The pictures from Blois (France)

Attachment: foxbat1_7040.jpg
Size: 92.16 KB

Attachment: foxbat2_3414.jpg
Size: 83.29 KB

E-mail Reply: 2 - 7
Jase in Oz
September 28, 2005, 11:09pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from hacheson
Thanks, I used Valspar American Tradition lifetime 100% Acrylic Exterior Latex SemiGloss paint. Sprayed it on with HVLP sprayer. I bought the paint at Lowe's and used their stock white but had the blue customed mixed.
Harold

Harold, what did you use to seal the fabric?  What about base coats?
E-mail Reply: 3 - 7
September 29, 2005, 1:32am Report to Moderator
Guest User
The base coat was the same paint but thinned with water (about 40% and rolled on.  The reason (I was told) for this is to get the paint into the weave of the polyfiber to get a good adhesion for the top coats (about 4-5 thin topcoats, thinned 20%).  There's a downside to this method.  "Bleed through".  You need to be real careful and not be to aggressive to roll it on.  I built a test frame, polyfiber'd it and practiced on it, but I still had a little bleed through on some spots. In the picture you can see the bleed through on some of the braces.  Had I to do it over, I would just thin the paint 20% and spray all the coats on.  Why 20%? my HVLP sprayer and 5 hp compressor couldn't handle the paint straight out of the can. Paint technology sure has made a quantum leap over the past decade. Harold

Attachment: bleedthrough_3021.jpg
Size: 81.35 KB

E-mail Reply: 4 - 7
Jase in Oz
September 29, 2005, 1:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks Harold:   Good information
E-mail Reply: 5 - 7
Mike Howe
September 29, 2005, 7:36pm Report to Moderator

MiniMax, Hawk, GA (Tipacer), another Max to finish
Ace
Time Online: 7 days 7 hours 30 minutes
Harold, do you keep your plane inside?  When was your plane completed; ie. how much sun has it had?

Mike

Mike Howe
howetyr@yahoo.com
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
September 29, 2005, 8:12pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
My plane has always been hangered and I completed it July 2000. I've got 96 hrs flying time in it.  It's in my workshop now as I completed the 100 hr maintance on the engine and I want to redo the pull starter on it.  The starter handle was inside down between my feet and I want to route it outside on the side.  I just found a new hanger to put it in as the owner of the old one came down with Parkinson's and can't maintain the runway anymore.

Harold

Attachment: hangered_8167.jpg
Size: 61.06 KB

E-mail Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment