Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Airbike empty weights Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Airbike empty weights  This thread currently has 743 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
wannabuild
September 26, 2005, 8:07pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
what are your single-place Airbikes coming in at weight wise?  I just got my empty (no pilot, no fuel) weight back at 308# with 447 engine, wingtips,  minimum instruments.  

What about your max weights?  I have really had my eyes opened about that figure.

Laird Lind
GaryC
September 26, 2005, 8:29pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Dear LairdLind,  
My Airbike weights in at 327 lbs.  I installed drooped tips, wheel pants, molded seat, two five gallons tanks in the wings, a full set of digital instruments, an oil injected 503 and I also rib stitched the wings.  I'm due to fly it the first calm day this week.  I'll let you know then how the extra weight affects the flight characteristics.
E-mail Reply: 1 - 12
theflyingfireman
September 26, 2005, 10:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 6 days 15 hours 7 minutes
Hey LairdLind,
  Well lets try this new board out . This is my first post so here goes.
The Air Bike that I completed back in April for the guy in Mississippi weighed in at 243 lbs. This was with a Zenoah G-25,22 hp engine,one wing tank,minimal instuments and minimal paint. This is what the plane weighed the day we did final assembly and the weight and balance.......
   Hope this helps......

Mark Reed
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 12
wannabuild
September 26, 2005, 10:22pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I started to do subtraction from the 560 max weight listed in the manual and figured out that only my head and two legs could go flying because I weigh around 230# and the rest of my body would put me over "max" weight.  since my first inquiry, i have found that there are some Airbikes out there flying in the 600's with good history.  I have two wing tanks, 447, and wing tips with minimal instruments.
E-mail Reply: 3 - 12
daveAB-85
September 26, 2005, 11:24pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
AB-85 weighs 253# with a 277 belt drive, 1 wing tank (empty), electronic instruments, thin paint, no wing tips & no wheel pants.
Dave
E-mail Reply: 4 - 12
theflyingfireman
September 27, 2005, 4:16am Report to Moderator

Ace
I forgot to mention that the weght of 243 included wing tips......

Mark
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 12
radfordc
September 27, 2005, 5:54pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
My Airbike weighed 305 empty with a 447.  When I flew it to Oshkosh back in 1998, I was over 600 gross.  Me (215), 10 gals gas (60), camping gear (25), tools/etc (10).  No problem.

Charlie
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 12
Ernie Luce
September 30, 2005, 1:50am Report to Moderator
Guest User
My Airbike (which has not yet flown - but I am on the last details) weighs 249 lbs - Hirth f-33, wing tips, wheel pants over 6" x 6" tires, streamline struts.

Ernie Luce, San Antonio, Texas
E-mail Reply: 7 - 12
fiebichpv
October 2, 2005, 4:23am Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
OK, the heavyweight steps in.  

My AirBike weighs 340# dry, fully loaded for a long cross-country trip (like AirVenture '05) the takeoff weight is almost 700#.  That includes a 20# parachute, my dressed for flying weight of 225#, 20# of luggage including radio, GPS, phone, tent etc, 20# of tools, spare plugs and up to 15 pints of oil (15#) and finally 71# of gas/oil mix.

Performance is not sprightly but entirely adequate.  I fly very carefully and avoid putting any sudden G-loads on the airframe.  Charlie Radford saw me take off from Leavenworth under that weight, I could have climbed faster but there was no point in doing so.  Admitedly, I am a test pilot under those conditions.  Mine flies just fine this way, yours may not.

AirBike Ace
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 12
himaxflyer
October 2, 2005, 2:02pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 38 minutes
Hi all,  not sure how to use this board yet,  here is my first attempt.  I was replying to Mark Reed's post.  How does that airbike fly that you built with that engine setup ect.?    Jim
PS  My sweet little Himax sits in the garage with the wings off, kicked out of the hangar by the Avid.  Not sure yet, but I might drag the Himax back out.  It sure is a fun little plane to fly.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 12
Walkabout
October 2, 2005, 2:14pm Report to Moderator

Steve, AB-137
Ace
Time Online: 42 days 21 hours 24 minutes
AB 137 weighs 284 lbs with 277 belt-drive and all the fiberglass options, brakes and latex paint.  Taxi tested only so far.

Steve

Envy the country that has heroes, pity the country that needs them...

http://www.jordanlakeaero.com
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 12
theflyingfireman
October 3, 2005, 1:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Hey Jim,
  The guy has yet to fly it.He is on up in his years and has some back problems all summer.So, right now ,I can't tell you how it flies. I'm sure it will do OK. I just wish I had performed a thrust test like you did just out of curiousity .

Mark
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 11 - 12
rickey logan
October 10, 2005, 12:22am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 5 days 5 hours 9 minutes
Hey Airbike # 20 weighs in at 352, wheel pants, 447, electric starter, 2 wing tanks, custom heavy seat ,cowl ,BRS900 , a lot of dash, a bucket of paint, thats about. Kick her wide open take up the slack and don't look back!!!!!!!!! Rick in and above N.C..................
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment