Print Topic - Archive

ETLB Squawk Forums  /  miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  /  New Minimax from Italy
Posted by: lapo92, September 16, 2019, 7:13am
As promised, I send the pictures about my new Minimax.

Specs:
- Jabiru 2200 engine, new cowlings
- new lower fiberglass seat (I'm 1,9 meter tall)
- new rod controls on the sides of seat
- new tips
- carbon reinforcements on wings

Thanks to all the community. I read and see a lot of solutions here!
Lapo
Posted by: beragoobruce, September 16, 2019, 9:37am; Reply: 1
Hey Lapo

That is a beautiful Max. I love the way you have faired in the engine - the cowling looks perfect. Good wheels, too.

How did you resolve the weight & balance problems presented by the heavier Jabiru engine? Do you carry much ballast at the rear of the fuselage?

I guess that plane is a lot of fun to fly, with 85hp from that engine.

Congratulations

Bruce
Posted by: aeronut, September 16, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 2
WOW looks fantastic.Those wing tips must have taken some doing! Congratulations.
Posted by: Cy V, September 16, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 3
The Jabiru 2200 weight is very similar to the VW. Did you use the V-Max frame?
Posted by: lapo92, September 17, 2019, 2:01pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from beragoobruce
Hey Lapo

That is a beautiful Max. I love the way you have faired in the engine - the cowling looks perfect. Good wheels, too.

How did you resolve the weight & balance problems presented by the heavier Jabiru engine? Do you carry much ballast at the rear of the fuselage?

I guess that plane is a lot of fun to fly, with 85hp from that engine.

Congratulations

Bruce

Thanks to all.

About balance:
Yes, it's still not very well balanced with 4 kg of lead on the tail... but I was knowing that and the Jab give me really good vibes.
I agree that VW is heavier but I'm not understand how the V-MAXs are balanced. Someone can give me some input of the normal situation?

I added the counterweights on the elevator in order to balance it, and it feel much better at my opinion.

About structure:
I've modified an original wing of a 1600 with reinforcements: I closed the spar box on the three ribs near the wing strut and added carbon UD on top and bottom of D-Box over all the wing span. It weight 183 kg empty

My impression in flight:
The plane is really a joy to fly.
I notice that the flaperons give some "rubber" feeling on the stick. Something similar to the effect that I give the input on the root, but to the tip the flap has a torsion and some of force goes away. Also because the controls on ailerons a little bit heavier than what you expect by an ultralight. (I normally fly with faster sport aicrafts and I don't know if it's normal like this!)

Thanks in advance for any reply about my impressions.
Lapo from Italy
Posted by: radfordc, September 17, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 5
Bravo!

How is the performance?
Posted by: mullacharjak, September 18, 2019, 8:25am; Reply: 6

Looks like the most powerfull minimax in history. I am sure it can easily exceed Vne in level flight.
Posted by: PUFF, September 18, 2019, 11:40am; Reply: 7
how are your weight and balance numbers? does it all work out according to plan?
Posted by: lapo92, September 19, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 8
Hi to all
Performance are still to be determined... I fly few hours.
I cruise at 75 mph with 2,6 gal/hour of consumption with 2200 rpm. Propeller is too small for the engine, so keep this data as not optimized...

I agree that probably with full power I exeed the VNE.

About balance: With 4 kg of lead I'm at 24% of wing chord.
Ciao
Posted by: LSaupe, September 19, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 9
Impressive workmanship.  Very nice. You will have to post some shots with it flying through the countryside at some point.
Posted by: cdlwingnut, September 19, 2019, 6:34pm; Reply: 10
nice looking airplane.
Posted by: TreeTopsTom, September 22, 2019, 5:46am; Reply: 11
Yep, Very nice looking. SLICK!!!
Posted by: 437 (Guest), September 23, 2019, 11:00am; Reply: 12
WOW!
Really nice Max!
Posted by: bob.hood, October 2, 2019, 10:34am; Reply: 13
Stunning!

Really nice plane, and very well finished. I like the tapered box you've put on the tail end of the fuselage, I guess you've got your 4kgs of weights in there? I also like the reinforcing you've done in the wings to strengthen them, and the balance weights you've put on the elevator, excellent idea, I may try adding balance weights on mine. How much weight did you add on the balance weights?

All you need now is to add aerodynamic covers to the struts and axle and that'll be about it, perfect!
Posted by: lapo92, October 8, 2019, 8:12am; Reply: 14
Quoted from bob.hood
Stunning!

Really nice plane, and very well finished. I like the tapered box you've put on the tail end of the fuselage, I guess you've got your 4kgs of weights in there? I also like the reinforcing you've done in the wings to strengthen them, and the balance weights you've put on the elevator, excellent idea, I may try adding balance weights on mine. How much weight did you add on the balance weights?

All you need now is to add aerodynamic covers to the struts and axle and that'll be about it, perfect!

Thanks to all! I'm really proud of my Max!

No, 4kg are too much to be installed in a lightweight cover. The weight is on the floor on the wood structure below the stabilizer.

The cunterweght on the elevator at my opinion are a good step forward for the handling. I adapted the weights trying and changing, so I'm not sure about the exact weight but I think they're 1,5kg TOTAL, so 0,75 kg each side.

I will add wheel pants soon.
Ciao!
Posted by: Ricardo, October 23, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 15
Awesome! Really nice “ aero”
Where in Italy are you located.
We would love to see some flying pics.
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 12:20pm