Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Plywood Weight Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Plywood Weight  This thread currently has 148 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
lake_harley
March 17, 2024, 10:35pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 1 hours 54 minutes
I thought that either Wicks Aircraft or Aircraft Spruce might have some weights listed on different types of plywood, but the listings didn't include weights on all of the various species of plywood. I'm trying to save every ounce I can on my build and want to use the lightest weight plywood I can for the 1/4" plywood doublers used at some of the nose rib positions. I bought a 2' X 2' piece of nice birch plywood from a Menards big-box store but wonder if pine, mahogany or fir plywood might be lighter? I would also use it at the necessary aileron nose rib positions.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message
lake_harley
March 18, 2024, 11:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 1 hours 54 minutes
A friend ended up having a useable size piece of 1/4" plywood, I'd guess fir or pine. The 2' X 2' piece of birch I bought at Menards only checked at .200" instead of an actual 1/4" which is .250", so it was unusable for my purpose. Did a bunch of weight calculations for comparison sake and if it were actually .250" the birch would have been heavier than the 1/4" I got from my friend.

Problem and question solved.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment