Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  aileron cables too stiff to operate Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

aileron cables too stiff to operate  This thread currently has 199 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gangeli
February 27, 2024, 7:53am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
I finally installed the controls in my MiniMax and they are very stiff.  What are yours like? I used the teleflex cable supplied by Team for the ailerons and I purchased locally two new cables of the correct length for the elevator, having opted for the LAA modification.  The elevator is not bad, it doesn't fall under its own weight, but is reasonably smooth to operate, the ailerons on the other end are very stiff and they move with a resistance that seams excessive. I posted about this on FB and someone suggested that I tried to lubricate the cables. I did that and it made little difference. I have the impression that the bend in the cables, when connected to the ailerons is too tight (approx. 6.5" radius at the tighter point). Does anyone know how long the aileron cables should be? I wonder if mine are too short.
Logged Offline
Private Message
flydog
February 27, 2024, 9:09pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 37 minutes
About all I can add is the cable for Airbike elevators is loose and smooth, they can fall under there own weight.
6-1/2 inch radius does sound tight. Is there any mention on the plans regarding what radius you should have?
Do they operate freely disconnected and straight but get stiff when  you bend them?
Can you find any specs for min bend radius?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
gangeli
February 28, 2024, 12:32am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
The aileron cables are reasonably smooth when disconnected from the aileron horn and stretched along the underside of the wing, they become stiff when bent and connected to the horn.  I need to know how long they should be because I suspect they are not the right length (several items in my kit was the wrong size or defective).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
flydog
February 28, 2024, 9:17pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 37 minutes
unfortunately can not help regarding the cable length. Cable details seem to be treated as proprietary information. Notice how there is no markings on kit supplied cables? No real details on them in the plans either. I had considered sourcing them myself ( for a scratch built Airbike), but researching them found more questions than answers, buy that I mean I was seeing solid single strand cables and stranded, and a choice of several different options regarding how many  strands. Luckily I discovered Team sells the Airbike cable, its the same as the Minimax ones, so went that route. Feel better knowing I got the right stuff.

Also unfortunate how this forum has died but with time someone might pop in and give you the answer you need.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Keith103
February 29, 2024, 1:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 26 minutes
This is a routine issue with MiniMaxes that fly with teleflex cables.
I had presumed the ailerons would get lighter with use, but they don’t.
One simply gets used to flying with a heavier pressure input.
I got used to it, I think it is manageable.

If the cables came from Team, there is no reason for the
length to be incorrect.

Fortunately Max is feather-light on the elevators in flight.

You could opt for Bruce’s (from Oz) modified system.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Greg Doe
February 29, 2024, 11:25pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 58 minutes
I replaced my Teleflex aileron cables with new ones from TEAM. The old ones measured 48 1/4". I estimate the radius of the bend at 5"
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
gangeli
March 1, 2024, 11:27am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thank-you all for the advice. Good to see that lonesomebuzzard is still the place to go for discussing MiniMax related issues.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment