Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Gluing Leading Edge Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Gluing Leading Edge  This thread currently has 100 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PoconoJohn
January 20, 2024, 2:37am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 9 minutes
Directions discuss clamping leading edge plywood to both upper and lower spar capstrips and using rubbed bands to hold it tight against the stringer which runs through all the nose ribs.

Then it says to mark "from the inside" locations of nose ribs and stringer; for marking where glue will be applied and the rest gets varnished.

I can't get in there if the plywood is wrapped around. It seems I have to unclamp to top and mark inside, then unclamp the bottom and clamp there.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
flydog
January 20, 2024, 3:17pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 37 minutes
You are not missing something. Sounds like your plan will work.
I just measured and marked the ply where the ribs fall. Then used 3/4 masking tape to cover those locations, also the spar cap location.   3/4 inch tape is much bigger than required for the nose rib locations but I feel better with a "bigger hoop to hit", less chance of getting varnish where I didnt want it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
PoconoJohn
January 21, 2024, 2:15pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 9 minutes
That's the job for tomorrow, so I'll do it that way. Plans say start at tip, but I'll do one end getting it against that wide nose rib (#4 I think) and then the other end against the other wide one (#7 I think). Then the center piece I will butt to one edge and I'll need to only trim the remaining edge of the center, marking against the plywood there to get a nice fit.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment