Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Aileron fitting bolt/nut hits vertical member Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Aileron fitting bolt/nut hits vertical member  This thread currently has 179 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PoconoJohn
October 4, 2023, 1:40pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 9 minutes
When I put the root (and tip) rib in position, the nut at the aileron assembly hits the rib vertical (where aileron web will go). The bolt has to pass through the forward half of the vertical and the nut ends up against it.

Anyone else have this issue? Just add a doubler?

Thanks!

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
raphael150
October 4, 2023, 9:00pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 days 12 hours 27 minutes
But John, there are slots in the web to make room for the bolt, and nut.

Attachment: img_0297_265.pdf
35 downloads   -   Size: 87.27 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
PoconoJohn
October 4, 2023, 11:11pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Thank you. Yes, but I have to remove some of the vertical rib piece at that location. I think I'd have to add a doubler to that vertical piece (or is the web good enough?). I'm concerned if I made a mistake somewhere. Everything seems according to plans.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
mullacharjak
October 5, 2023, 1:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 20 hours 43 minutes
I;ve looked at the drawing.looks like the gap between the root and rib 1 is too little if we take the root as an example.tht RS9 bearing block for the socket screw plus root rib=1 inch wide.the gap between ribs is shown as 1 5/8 but may be less at the middle because of 3 degree tilt of root rib.assuming only 1/2" is left between RS9 and rib1 vertical.cant a thin nut AN364 be installed which I think is only 1/4" high? the 1/4-28 shcs seems too long.cutting it looks like the solution.if you lookup the build series videos on Youtube(minimax 1100R build series vlog) by dennis tyson you might get the answer in episode 23.I think he had to shave the upright getting in the way.

Attachment: hinge_minimax_6929.jpg
35 downloads   -   Size: 52.85 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Keith103
October 5, 2023, 9:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from PoconoJohn
When I put the root (and tip) rib in position, the nut at the aileron assembly hits the rib vertical (where aileron web will go). The bolt has to pass through the forward half of the vertical and the nut ends up against it.  Anyone else have this issue? Just add a doubler?  Thanks!
John C

True, the bolt passes through the front side of this vertical.

But this vertical RS-1 at root rib has 1/4 in ply doubler (or rather insert) on either side (in front of it and behind it, when viewed from top).

The vertical and 1/4 ply inserts are flush with the external 1/8 ply that is glued to the whole rib on the fuselage side.

So drilling a 1/4 inch hole through this vertical RS-1 should not be a structural problem. Moreover there is another RS-9 piece glued inside of the RS-1.

My recall on this is slightly foggy, but I don't remember gluing a doubler to this RS-1 vertical. In fact there may not be space for a doubler. There is only a 1/8 inch gap in front of this RS-1 vertical where the aileron spar web has a partial cut out.

Attaching a photo of my build's  root rib attachment point for aileron hinge bolt. The RS-1 is hidden behind the RS-9.

Attachment: aileron_braket_bolt_4101.jpg
35 downloads   -   Size: 117.10 KB

Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
PoconoJohn
October 6, 2023, 6:56pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
I found it in episode 23; thanks! I need to have at least two threads showing, but even that would be a problem. The tip is OK, just at the root. Here's how I ended up (left wing root):

Attachment: bolt3_7631.jpg
35 downloads   -   Size: 20.28 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
Bob Daly
October 7, 2023, 10:55pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
You don't need 2 threads. You could use an AN364 low profile nut there, the bolt is not loaded in tension. Cut the bolt off just beyond the nut.  But now that you have carved out the rib member, just glue a doubler behind it.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Aileron fitting bolt/nut hits vertical member

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment