Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Propose selling or closing Team Mini-Max Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Propose selling or closing Team Mini-Max  This thread currently has 1,102 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
theecoop
November 10, 2022, 4:25pm Report to Moderator

Flying
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 5 hours 17 minutes
I am putting this info out so anyone of concern or interest.
I am planning on stop taking new order as of August, 2023.
Any outstanding orders will still be processed and complete before we completely close our doors.
I hope everyone knows I have done everything in my power to run Team MiniMax with the up most passion to give the best service to our customers.
But I can no longer continue the struggles with my wife’s health and current economy.

I have a very good company that I am in talks with to possibly carry on but only time will tell
Call my direct cell phone for any items you need to complete your project before August 2023
Best Regards,
David Cooper
574-214-3660

Perfect Practice makes perfect!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
RedBird
November 11, 2022, 12:39am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Sorry to hear this news.  

I hope the difficult decision allows you focus on the more important things in life.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 14
lake_harley
November 11, 2022, 3:12pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 1 hours 54 minutes
I'm also sorry to hear of the situation(s) in your life that are taking their toll on your time. When I built my MiniMAX 1100 a number of years ago, I appreciated being able to get qualified guidance from you with a quick phone call. I hope negotiations with a potential buyer work out. If only I weren't already 70 years old........  

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 14
PoconoJohn
December 15, 2022, 2:18am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 9 minutes
I am sorry to hear this and I wish all the best for you and your family.

John C
(Kids Building Planes)
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 14
ulbuilder
January 11, 2023, 1:47am Report to Moderator
N349LE
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 20 hours 59 minutes
Dave,

I'm happy to have had the opportunity to buy my kit from you in 2014. Got my airworthiness certificate issued in 2018 and have enjoyed flying my MiniMax since.

I hope things in your life work out for the best!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 14
edwinkania
November 14, 2023, 2:31am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 15 hours 51 minutes
So JDT Minimax is gone........(Ive been away)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 14
PoconoJohn
December 30, 2023, 3:32pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
"I am planning on stop taking new order as of August, 2023.
Any outstanding orders will still be processed and complete before we completely close our doors."

With that in mind, I ordered a bunch of stuff last April. I'm waiting for an update when the order will be shipped or when I'll receive a refund.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 14
Fenix
February 6, 2024, 12:42am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 40 minutes

John, Did you ever get the stuff you "ordered last April"?

Anyone:  I see the Team Minimax website is still up and taking orders.  Did Dave change his mind about closing up shop or is money spent at their store now wasted???

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 14
PoconoJohn
February 6, 2024, 1:33am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
I've made several inquires (usually no response) since April 2023. Last week, David wrote he hopes to send everything out this week (that was last week). Waiting.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 14
Fenix
February 6, 2024, 1:59am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Doesn't sound encouraging.  I've been planning for a while to build a parasol V Max but have been on other projects, which are nearing completion.  So I thought it was maybe time to order a cowl, tailwheel, control cables, wheels, etc.

I called and got no answer but he called me back in a few minutes and said he could ship those things in a couple weeks.  He didn't say anything about closing up shop, so I was surprised when I went to ETLB and saw this thread.           Maybe I should order COD...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 14
PoconoJohn
February 6, 2024, 2:55am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
I'm not the only one in this predicament. I don't recommend ordering anything. I've been buying my own spruce (a specialty lumber yard is a few hours away) and making my own parts. The fiberglass and other unique parts will be a challenge. I never should have started this project.  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 14
Fenix
February 6, 2024, 3:32am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Sounds like good advice John.

I was hoping not to have to make a cowling, but I've made them before, can do another......

I have a good selection of Spruce on hand and can get the rest from Wicks or AS&S.  Yeah, the specialty items is what I was looking for, but sounds like I should source them on my own.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 14
alex3
March 6, 2024, 9:41pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 22 hours 51 minutes
Dave's wife is very sick and he has not had a lot of time to spend at the shop most of his time is spent either at the hospital or taking care of her at home
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 14
Fenix
March 8, 2024, 3:04am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
So against my better judgement and some good cautionary advice here at ETLB I called Dave to discuss an order of the "model specific" items (cowls, wheels, control cables, etc).

I left a message and he called me back in a timely manner.  Since he doesn't take credit cards or partial deposits it was pretty much a matter of mail a check and wait/hope for your "stuff".  I was open and came out with my concerns about some reports of long waits and unfilled orders.  I asked him, will you look me in the eye (yeah we were on the phone) and tell me man to man that if I mail you a check you will ship me the order in a few/several weeks (that's what he told me the lead time was).  He said he would.   I still try to believe in people (not really appropriate in the 21st century, but I'm an old timer) and mailed the check.......

A couple weeks later I received the first part of the order, drop shipped from a 3rd party vendor.  And a bit later I received most of the rest of it shipped by Dave.  I'm still waiting for a few things, most notably a cowl which he explained is made by a 3rd party who has possession of his fiberglass molds and produces upon request/demand.  I consider that we're still inside the window of what he told me to expect so for now I can say he's performed as promised.  I'll  update again soon.......

It is my unfounded "conclusion" that he has his hands full with life in general and his wife's health (mentioned above) and is trying to support the design as a "labor of love" but there are some pretty tight limits on what he is able to do.  I think wood kits are cut by him or him and a helper and his time to devote to that is limited.  If he has something in stock, or can drop ship it, then your chances are good.  

We discussed the matter of him looking to sell TEAM and (nothing in our conversation was asked to be or promised to be confidential so I think I am free to say) he said that he is still looking to do that.  It appears to me that he is "looking for a good home" for TEAM and, like most of us here, loves the design and what Wayne (Ison) did.  His wife's health and approaching the age of retirement are weighing on him, but he spent years (a decade or more? pouring sweat into the design and he wants it to carry on.  Since it has not yet sold he is doing what he can to continue to support it, but has limits on what he can offer.  He probably has some unkept promises out there, but I don't think he wants it to be that way.

YMMV
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 14
PoconoJohn
March 8, 2024, 4:27am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Still waiting. It'll be a year next month.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 14 - 14
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Propose selling or closing Team Mini-Max

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment