Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Eros Wing Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Eros Wing   This thread currently has 286 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Dave Walker
August 20, 2022, 4:14pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 12 minutes
Here are a few pictures of my Eros wing taken during construction. The ETLB board can't seem to accept higher resolution pictures, but I can send some by private email if that would be helpful.

Attachment: wing_1_3563.jpg
Size: 46.99 KB

Attachment: wing_2_9648.jpg
Size: 52.80 KB

Attachment: wing_3_6677.jpg
Size: 37.49 KB

Attachment: wing_4_3743.jpg
Size: 27.36 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
flydog
August 20, 2022, 7:10pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Looks like you are doing fantastik work! Close to covering, how is the fuselage coming?
What are the diagonals (1/4 square?) on every other nose rib for?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
PoconoJohn
August 20, 2022, 8:20pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
Thank you Dave for those photos. Looks really nice.

John C
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
Dave Walker
August 20, 2022, 9:15pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
The diagonals on some of the nose ribs are there because the ply that I had wouldn't keep flat. That fixed 'em.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
Dave Walker
August 20, 2022, 9:21pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
The Eros is ready to fly after undergoing taxi testing and repetitive inspections. I believe it (and me) are almost ready to go. One revision that I had to make recently was to add a vent in the full canopy....it is sweltering in the bright sun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
Dave Walker
August 20, 2022, 9:22pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
The Eros is ready to fly after undergoing taxi testing and repetitive inspections. I believe it (and me) are almost ready to go. One revision that I had to make recently was to add a vent in the full canopy....it is sweltering in the bright sun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
Keith103
August 20, 2022, 11:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 35 minutes
Beautiful work.
From the date on the image ( Jan 2015 ) looks like you built the wings in 2014 or so. How long did the whole project take ?

I remember there used to be a member here on this board, who said he took 17 years to build his Max. That is a tough record to beat. But for those who enjoy building, stretching out the build process could actually be a good thing.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
Dave Walker
August 21, 2022, 2:07pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Just for fun, I checked my build log. My plans were purchased at Oshkosh at the TEAM display in 1997. I built with sikta spruce and assembled the first ribs in the winter of 1998. I might, just might, hold the honour of the longest build. The last bits went together (prop, engine, instruments) in 2021. The project was mostly ignored for several years due to renovation, re-location, retirement, and the need to build myself the "last" house in a town 300km away (but with the important benefit of a country airport). The Eros is not completely finished yet, since I want to add streamlining to the struts and perhaps some more colour. That will come later after I get to enjoy the initial flights. We have severe winters here - coming soon they say...that's the time to make those minor changes and enhancements.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
Keith103
August 23, 2022, 12:04am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 35 minutes
All I can say is WOW !
Glad you managed to finish it eventually.

The bottom quote is from an earlier post from your build.  
In your W&B, the total weight should come to 595 lbs, not 562 lbs. The unaccounted weight could be the fuel in the second wing tank. Also, it is quite possible the difference does not affect the W&B, as the wing tanks are located at or near the cg.

<<<<<<
is registered as a basic ultralight here in Canada (C-IVCO). My empty weight came out to be 359 lbs. and with me as pilot (171 lbs.) and 40 litres of fuel (20 litres per tank) the weight is 562 lbs. My calculated C of G is at 14.3 inches (26 % of chord).
>>>>>>

( I was checking your back threads to see what engine you were using, that’s when I noticed this.)
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
Dave Walker
August 24, 2022, 12:50am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Checking back in my W/B post, the figures that I gave are indeed inconsistent as you noted. They should read 20 litres of fuel in total (10 litres per tank). The weights are correct, as measured.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
RedBird
October 15, 2022, 11:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
looks like a fabulous build

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment