Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Test Flying Pietenpol Post Rebuild
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Test Flying Pietenpol Post Rebuild  This thread currently has 223 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BlueMax
May 1, 2022, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Well guys and gals today was the day! 4 years and 4 months from the day of the gear collapse my Piet has flown again! About 20 minutes before sunset the Kansas winds finally subsided, giving me a light 60deg crosswind at 4kts, I decided it was now or never so I firewalled the throttle on the overhauled A65 and off she went!

While it was calm on the ground the wind was northwesterly at around 24kts a few hundred feet up giving the air a pretty choppy feel and making it difficult to judge the rigging. It did feel just a bit left wing heavy and I was holding a good bit of aft pressure to maintain level flight. A quick look at the tail showed the elevator slightly below neutral when wings level at 75mph so it looks like I'll need elevator trim tabs. After a short 15 minute flight with the light fading I decided I better bring her in. I flew the pattern at 75, slowing up to 65 on final and crossed the numbers at 50. The result was a beautiful squeaker of a landing that I hardly even felt.

I taxied back to my hangar, switched the mags off, and spent a few moments sitting there in silence listening to the pops of the cooling engine and reflecting on the last 4 years. The damage from the gear collapse, all the workmanship issues I found as I started removing damaged parts, then the loss of oil pressure and metal in the oil screen that sent me hunting for another A65. I almost lost hope and was ready to sell her a year ago, I'm glad I didn't and tonight I got to enjoy the fruit of all my labor and boy was it sweet!

Video link
https://youtu.be/eAJ37gnuMis

Fly safe everyone
Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bob Hoskins
May 1, 2022, 7:49pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi, job well done. Nice landing to top off your day.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
BlueMax
May 2, 2022, 12:45pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Thanks Bob I was hoping to get some more flight time last night but the wind was sitting there 40deg off centerline at 8g15 so I figured I better not tempt fate just yet!

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
flydog
May 2, 2022, 9:37pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Fantastik!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
Keith103
May 3, 2022, 2:39am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 35 minutes
BlueMax, Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

(Not directly related to this thread), here is a link on how to make every landing a squeaker :

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/greasing-it-on/

Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
fiebichpv
May 7, 2022, 3:05pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
Ya gotta feel good about all that success! Everyone is happy for you.
Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Test Flying Pietenpol Post Rebuild

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment