Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Ah, I needed that!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Ah, I needed that!  This thread currently has 163 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
April 25, 2022, 3:15pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Aha, I needed that!

It has been a bit over two weeks since flying due to the Kansas high winds (30 mph+). Today's flight combined an 18 mile motorcycle ride through the countryside to my hangar in Udall, Kansas.

Following a partial Annual Condition Inspection, I taxied out to the grass strip and took off to the north. The 65 degree temperature was pleasant, the wind a bit choppy until reaching 1000' AGL then just continuous 20 mph wind on my nose. At altitude, looking down the air is clear, but looking horizontally humidity and dust obscures distant viewing.

The one hour flight was pleasant and personally rejuvenating. I made radio calls to taxiing pilots in the Cook Airfield area to identify my position. They responded and said they were aware of me. My landing back at Cherokee Strip was the best I ever made, I had to check my airspeed indicator to know that I was no longer flying!

The motorcycle ride home was made as the sun was setting. I kept a watchful eye or deer and only saw one crossing the road about 100 yards ahead of me. What a great combination of activities!

Paul D. Fiebich
A.K.A. AirBike Ace

Attachment: .airbike_in_hangar_etlb__9784.jpg
Size: 58.93 KB

Attachment: distant_cloud_line_etlb__5792.jpg
Size: 49.83 KB

Attachment: instrument_panel_2_etlb___5673.jpg
Size: 77.59 KB

Attachment: pilot_paul_1_etlb__4653.jpg
Size: 54.77 KB

Attachment: 82_mph_etlb__1366.jpg
Size: 73.66 KB

Attachment: right_brake_shoe__rudder_pedal_etlb__1181.jpg
Size: 54.34 KB

Attachment: tail_gunners_view_etlb__8624.jpg
Size: 45.77 KB

Attachment: terrain_contours_etlb__2950.jpg
Size: 56.40 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
fiebichpv
April 25, 2022, 3:16pm Report to Moderator

Ace
This was my flight path, That's about an hour's worth of flying including start, warm-up, taxi to takeoff and taxi back to the hangar after landing.

AirBike Ace

Attachment: ground_track_etlb__871.jpg
Size: 74.35 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
flydog
April 25, 2022, 9:10pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Tnx for the story and pictures.
Looks like it might be time to wash that windscreen.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
Bob Hoskins
April 26, 2022, 1:39am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi Paul
Great to see you back in the air. As usual, thanks for the story and the pictures. Haven't been in the air yet this year. Passed my biannual last November. The old Chief has a fresh annual, so I am ready. At 80, I am wondering how many biennial's I will get to take, LOL. By the way, what program or app you use for your GPS? Is it Avare?
Have fun and fly safe. Keep your eyes open for the Hun.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
fiebichpv
April 26, 2022, 5:51pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Hi Bob, you've got two more years on me. My goal was to continue flying until age 80 then make a go-no-go decision. I am hoping it will be a "go". As long as we are fit and can pass the Biennial, I think we are still viable pilots. Yes, the app on my tablet is Avare. It is a neat flying "companion." And it is free!

Paul
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
Bob Hoskins
April 27, 2022, 12:44am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey Paul
Mine is a go for now. I am hoping I can get a couple more biennials in before I hang up my head phones. Me and Skyblazer had a ball building and flying our Max"s. Owned a champ back in 62, but never got to finish the recover. Got the chance to buy the Chief in 2012. It is side by side and was in good shape. So the 1400Z enabled me to realize a dream I had since I was a Kid. Will never forget Wayne and all the guys down here in TN. What a great bunch of guys. I still check out the Buzzard board almost every day. Remember George and Stas? Stas was a pretty good guy. I always enjoy your posts. You keep life going here with your chasing the "huns", LOL. Keep up the great work. Never stop posting bud.
Two old Coots, and two old members, LOL
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Ah, I needed that!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment