Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  registering a Max as EAB-LSA Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

registering a Max as EAB-LSA  This thread currently has 276 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
July 9, 2021, 2:41pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
HI
I have recently completed a Mini Max and not surprisingly at all, it does not comply with U/L weight with a Mosler CB-40.  I never really figured it would weight comply but I did not realize how unfriendly the airport owners have become regarding U/L fat U/Ls.  I only have a few choices of airports, first one said no unless it is LSA, second one wanted nothing to do with an unregistered A/C, third and fourth say the same. That is all my choices of airports.  A quick look at rules and regs makes it sound as if there might be a pathway to getting and EAB-LSA registration after the fact but one thing they want is a form from the kit manufacturer, does anyone know if Mini Max (Team) ever did anything with this to enable after the build registration of Maxes as EAB-LSA?
Kim Brown
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bob Hoskins
July 9, 2021, 9:24pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi,
My suggestion would be to register it EAB and stay away from LSA. You built it and you have all the build records, you can get a DAR to inspect it. Once it is registered only a private airport could bar you from flying.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Bob Daly
July 10, 2021, 3:24pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
For $20 EAA has a registration kit.  Having read the forms I think the registration process is primarily interested in establishing your ownership of the plane, its official identification and that the registration is unique.  Not really different from registering a car.  I believe the LSA designation is reserved for commercial manufacturers for all practical purposes. A sport pilot can legally fly any airplane that meets the definition of a LSA.
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
PUFF
July 20, 2021, 11:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
EAB is the way to go.
1. Registration.
2. Airworthiness.

#1 proves ownership and possible taxes, depending on state.
#2 allows legal flight of the aircraft (not the pilot), as long as it is in effect.

My best advice is to get and keep every scrap of paper that came with that AC, as you will need it.
Do a proper weight and balance when you get it into a condition capable of flight.
Do Not Get Caught Flying until Legal, as that will disqualify the AC from #1 or #2; not to mention the other penalties.

Get a friendly DAR to look over the paperwork and help guide you thru the process.

Remember that you are NOW considered part of a "Group" of builders, as you will have your hands all over that aircraft before you get your Airworthiness Certificate.

Document anything you do to the aircraft, as well.  

EAB is generally doable, takes a little time, but generally doable.

Join the EAA, get the registration Kit, makes it easier.

For just parking/hangering, you might get by with the N-Numbering part, but go all the way if you plan to fly it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
radfordc
July 24, 2021, 2:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from kfb
A quick look at rules and regs makes it sound as if there might be a pathway to getting and EAB-LSA registration after the fact but one thing they want is a form from the kit manufacturer, does anyone know if Mini Max (Team) ever did anything with this to enable after the build registration of Maxes as EAB-LSA?
Kim Brown

I think you mean ELSA (Experimental Light Sport Aircraft) which is a special category of experimental aircraft.  And, no TEAM hasn't done what would be required to allow that designation.

Experimental-Amateur Built (E-AB) is the category you will need to follow.  Not hard if you have a bill of sale for a kit and/or proof of construction for a plans built aircraft.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
PUFF
July 26, 2021, 12:18pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Agree with what Charlie Said. There is a difference. ELSA and EAB are quite different.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment