Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Wing Tank Usable Fuel Test Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Wing Tank Usable Fuel Test  This thread currently has 188 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BlueMax
June 22, 2021, 4:02am Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
My Vmax has the Factory 5 gallon wing tanks installed. This afternoon I decided to do a usable fuel quantity test. Knowing that my pickups are installed thru the side of the tank in the rear inboard corner vs thru the bottom I was  curious to see how much usable fuel I really have.

I filled both tanks, elevated the tail til a protractor placed on the upper longeron read -5deg then opened the right hand tank valve and gascolator drain and waited....... after the right tank had emptied as much as it could (I noted approx. .75" of fuel still in the bottom) I closed its valve and Taxiied the plane (on the left tank) to the gas pump. When I refifilled the right tank, the pump indicated 5.3 gallons!

So now I have questions...... How much does a factory 5 gallon tank actually hold? These arent the slanted 6 gallon tanks, they are 5 gallon. I think for safeties sake I will still call it 4gal usable but still i was shocked to see that 5.3 number.

Chris

Attachment: 52_8669.jpg
Size: 163.07 KB

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
KGrenier
June 22, 2021, 8:49pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 12 hours 22 minutes
Chris,
The 5 gallon poly fuel tanks swell after they have had fuel in them. I don't recall what the original dimensions of the tanks. I want to say that mine grew 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
BlueMax
June 23, 2021, 1:33am Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Kgrenier,
Good point, I wonder how much extra capacity it adds. Mine hsve had fuel in them since 1998.

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment